Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings

Short & bittersweet trip

So I took a quick trip up to Mirror Lake State Park last night. Just got back. I left work a little early yesterday so I could pack and head up there (its about an hour away). I got there in time to get some water, make some dinner, and get the my hammock and tarp set up. Woke up this morning, took down my stuff, and went on a quick & easy 4 mile hike.

The trip was sort of a Jeckyll and Hyde experience.

The Bad

It was a disappoint experience for a number of reasons. First, I forgot my camera at home. D'oh!

But the major reason my short trip was disappointing was the location. Its too bad too, because the Park has a decent amount going for it. I had never been to Mirror Lake before and was not expecting the constant drone of highway in the background. The ever-present noise didn't let up the entire trip. I mean, I know its close to rt 90 but I was over a mile away. Even on my hike when I was 2+ miles from the highway I could still hear it. There was no way I could get the feel of being in the wilderness with that constant reminder.

The Good

That being said, there were a few bright spots along the way. Its springtime in Wisconsin and the weather was great. Also, there were plenty of birds including a bunch of woodpeckers to almost make me forget about the drone of the highway. Almost.

Gearwise I also got to try out a bunch of cool new stuff. I have some new figure 9s for my tarp, which made the set-up and take down much simpler. And more enjoyable! I don't think I could ever go back! Very pleased with that purchase.

I also got my first crack at my new AquaSimple Gravity Filter from Arrowhead Equipment. I grabbed a filter from REI with my 20% coupon and was good to go. It worked great! I had never used a gravity filter before and was pleasantly surprised by how fast it worked. Not as fast as a pump water filter (I didn't expected it to be), but it wasn't that much slower either. Plus a lot less effort! I really like the clamp idea too. I got water last night, used some for dinner, replenished my water bottle afterwards, and had more water waiting for me in my bag for a post-breakfast refill this morning. One thing that I might try to add is some sort of cover for the very end of the outlet hose so that it doesn't get in contact with residual untreated water from the rest of the filter when its stored in my pack. I am very pleased with this product. I'll be taking it with me on ALL of my future trips

And last but not least, it was my first experience with my new dutch clips. What can I say? They performed wonderfully! Elegant design, lightweight, and just plain snazzy. I could write more, but I think its about time to wrap this up.

So basically I had a great gear trip with a relatively poor nature trip. C'est la vie!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Excelent jofish, glad the AS worked well for you. I like the less effort and that I can be doing something else rather than sitting--usually hunched over crouching by the stream pumping till my arm burns. Instead I can be cooking, or just lounging (think Shug calls it Lallygagging) in the hammock while the water filters. Thanks for the report on how it did for you.

Sorry the noise of the road carried over to camp, that does suck when you are trying to get away.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Get the best out of what you have

Tom

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds like a nice break except for the traffic noise. Maybe you could find a campsite next to a stream somewhere.
    Nothing like the sound of rushing water to drown out life's problems.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Should try devils lake if they allow hammocks. Closer to Madison than mirror lake. Great hikes. Awesome views from the top of the ridge. But get your water before you make the climb. Lots of trees off the beaten path.
    Last edited by BER; 04-18-2010 at 14:02.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Yeah, I've been to a number of other nearby parks, including Devil's Lake, Lake Kegonsa, Blue Mounds, Governor Dodge, Kettle Morraine South, etc. Thought I'd give Mirror Lake a try. Given my limited time left in Wisconsin, I probably won't be heading there again. Other places to explore!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Crazt stuff jofish .... just go to the NCT .... free and quiet.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Try going back when the leaves on the trees are bigger. Yes right more bugs, but maybe that will be a good fall hike.
    I'm glad you had a good time overall.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

• + New Posts