Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

2 tarps?

I have a Hennessy UL Explorer with stock tarp. The tarp has been fine for coverage so far with the exception of a particularly wet morning last weekend where I was left wanting for dry space.

I'm wondering if I can use a setup with two tarps, one being the stock tarp which I would slide a bit further toward the rear, and another to be setup to cover ALL of the front from the entry slit to the tree.

Does this sound viable? Anybody doing this already? Probably not the best weight-concious option, but perhaps more flexible if I wanted to go to the ground for whatever reason? (I don't have an underquilt, so the ground may be necessary in colder weather). Was thinking a 7x9 flat tarp, or perhaps the OR Helium Solo.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I have a Hennessy UL Explorer with stock tarp. The tarp has been fine for coverage so far with the exception of a particularly wet morning last weekend where I was left wanting for dry space.

I'm wondering if I can use a setup with two tarps, one being the stock tarp which I would slide a bit further toward the rear, and another to be setup to cover ALL of the front from the entry slit to the tree.

Does this sound viable? Anybody doing this already? Probably not the best weight-concious option, but perhaps more flexible if I wanted to go to the ground for whatever reason? (I don't have an underquilt, so the ground may be necessary in colder weather). Was thinking a 7x9 flat tarp, or perhaps the OR Helium Solo.
    Good to hear from another Georgia hanger.
    I have'nt heard of anyone using two tarps like you talk about. The weight penalty would not be worth it IMO. Plus other negative factors I'm sure.
    If using a Hennessy, most people here upgrade to a bigger tarp. The MacCat tarps are popular. The Sportsmans Guide tarp is pretty big with a 12' 8" ridgeline and is hard to beat for the money:www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247
    No need for an underquilt in cold weather. They are nice and I own a couple, but closed cell pads work well in hammocks if you are not prone to sweating issues with pads.The Walmart blue 3/8" pad is very popular. I've used just pads down to 10 degrees and had a blast.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 08-16-2007 at 17:51.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

blue pad

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Good to hear from another Georgia hanger.
    I have'nt heard of anyone using two tarps like you talk about. The weight penalty would not be worth it IMO. Plus other negative factors I'm sure.
    If using a Hennessy, most people here upgrade to a bigger tarp. The MacCat tarps are popular. The Sportsmans Guide tarp is pretty big with a 12' 8" ridgleine and is hard to beat for the money:www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247
    No need for an underquilt in cold weather. They are nice and I own a couple, but closed cell pads work well in hammocks if you are not prone to sweating issues with pads.The Walmart blue 3/8" pad is very popular. I've used just pads down to 10 degrees and had a blast.
    GA - Yes, we should get together for a trip sometime so I can learn from you. I'm definitely interested in that ring setup I saw in your pics.

Is the blue Walmart pad basically the same as that blue one that REI sells? I'm a relatively new hanger and I was able to experience hanging without a pad on my trip last weekend - was wonderful and made me realize I probably do need an underquilt at some point. For now, I've got a Speer Extender to go with my Thermarest. If I have to, I'll spend on the tarp first, but was thinking a cheaper tarp as additional coverage as needed. Perhaps I'd be better off spending more on the MacCat.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    GA - Yes, we should get together for a trip sometime so I can learn from you. I'm definitely interested in that ring setup I saw in your pics.

Is the blue Walmart pad basically the same as that blue one that REI sells? I'm a relatively new hanger and I was able to experience hanging without a pad on my trip last weekend - was wonderful and made me realize I probably do need an underquilt at some point. For now, I've got a Speer Extender to go with my Thermarest. If I have to, I'll spend on the tarp first, but was thinking a cheaper tarp as additional coverage as needed. Perhaps I'd be better off spending more on the MacCat.
    A trip sounds great. Would be happy to show you a thing or two. Yea the ring/buckle set-up is really sweet. I prefer the buckles over the rings but I have both on my hammocks. Not real familiar with the REI pad but have seen it once or twice and it does'nt look as nice as the Wal-mart one. Pretty close though. The Speer SPE does work well. I have one as well as the Thermarest Ridgerest. You could borrow my Sportsmans Guide tarp if you'd like.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images

I'm wondering if I can use a setup with two tarps, one being the stock tarp which I would slide a bit further toward the rear, and another to be setup to cover ALL of the front from the entry slit to the tree.....IMHO.... two tarps is twice as much set up, extra lines, alignment issues, and a seam, even in overlapping for windblown rain to reek havoc....

dakotaross,

Welcome to the hanging gang....

Getting wet is the short cut to hypothermia....and it will be fast coming in a hammock.... there is a reason for larger asymetric tarps.... find a way to stay dry....search the forums for good approaches....your is not a new issue.

Likewise there are many ways to stay warm.... make an adequate plan.... get what you need and test it in a safe hang out, with a bailout plan.

Pan
    Last edited by Peter_pan; 08-17-2007 at 07:25.
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    dakotaross,

Welcome to the hanging gang....

Getting wet is the short cut to hypothermia....and it will be fast coming in a hammock.... there is a reason for larger asymetric tarps.... find a way to stay dry....search the forums for good approaches....your is not a new issue.

Likewise there are many ways to stay warm.... make an adequate plan.... get what you need and test it in a safe hang out, with a bailout plan.

Pan
    Agreed. Since I'm still in the experimenting stage of hammocking, I always carry a bivy and thermarest to go to the ground if necessary.

That got me thinking that I may want a tarp shelter for cooler trips where I'm not worried about bugs and can get snuggled in my down bag. Any suggestions for a tarp that works well as a shelter on its own as well as for the hammock? The original thought on the two tarps is that a relatively big tarp is needed for the hammock to have the coverage I want, but not so much for tarping by itself with bivy. The thought was I could get a smaller tarp and use it along with the stock HH tarp for additional coverage when using the HH.

Is that blasphemous for suggesting I'd want to go to the ground? It would just be until I splurge for the undercover. Using pads in the hammock has been just OK.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    If you look at blackbishop's site he shows how that his Black Cat tarps can be used as a ground shelter in several different configurations. These tarps are basically the same shape as the very popular MacCat tarps, so you could use the MacCat in much the same way. Most tarps can be setup as a ground shelter in one way or another.

I carry a poncho tarp that is my rain gear, emergency tarp for my hammock, and is able to be set up as a ground shelter if needed.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Although I'm hoping to never have to try it, Hennessy says their hammocks can be set-up as a bivy in an emergency. Why carry an additional bivy if the hammock can be set-up in that manner? I think the MacCat/BlackCat tarps would be more than adequate coverage for going to ground; the stock HH tarp, not so much.

Has anybody tried this with their Hennessys? Might be a good experiment for the weekend; if I get REALLY bored.

Is that blasphemous for suggesting I'd want to go to the ground?
    Nope, just desperate!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Has anybody tried this with their Hennessys? Might be a good experiment for the weekend; if I get REALLY bored.
    I did that once. I set it up just like in Sgt Rock's pics (1 2). It is awkward to get in through the bottom entrance while it's on the ground, but is doable. I didn't think to take pictures of mine at the time, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I did that once. I set it up just like in Sgt Rock's pics (1 2). It is awkward to get in through the bottom entrance while it's on the ground, but is doable. I didn't think to take pictures of mine at the time, though.
    I found out the other day, while hosing out my UL Explorer, that the HH bottom is at least somewhat water resistant. I was surprised at how slowly a deep pool of water drained from the hammock bottom. It was a very slow process and I ended up having to turn it upside down and various directions to get the water out thru the netting and bottom entry.

Point being: Though it would be no match for a dedicated waterproof (breathable) bivy or tent, I feel there would be some worthwhile protection from spray or windblown rain which got past the tarp in a ground setup. A little, anyway. Of course, if it was really a concern, you could always spray it with one of the products designed to add water resistance, as Speer describes in his book. Then it would be even more helpful.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast