Thread: DIY underquilt

DIY underquilt

Well here is my next venture into DIY. I'm doing an underquilt. I'm shooting for something close to 0 degree F rating. I'm using 1.1 Ion for top and bottom. The dimensions are 72"x48". I'm going with 3" baffles and using a differential cut my chambers should give me close to 4" of loft. I'll have 12 chambers with 1.3 oz of 850 fill down. So far I have cut the top and bottom and laid out the lines to sew the baffles. It's kinda hard doing it with a small table but I'm getting through.

20231126_104642.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Looks fantastic, so far! Great choice of materials and design choices. As you go along, fill us in on how you're doing the bottom layer (overall size and differential chamber width). Don't forget lengthwise differential, too. I figure on some excess width and length that can be adjusted when the edges are sewn, but you can expand the bottom with supplemental fabric strips, too. Looking forward to seeing your down stuffing procedure and suspension choices, as well. Clews are a good option for suspension, but there are others.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Flashbacks to my first DIY project. Takes time, but well worth the end product. Did you find the UQ calculator in the forum to help calculate the down needed for desired temperature? If not, it's in here somewhere.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I just did up a couple of quilts and changed up my process a bit. I don't have a lot of space either and this process saved me a lot of time and made construction both easier and more accurate (IMO), maybe you will find something useful in the method.

Cutting baffles is just fold baffle material and cut, I need a 3.25" baffle, so cut 4" to give 3/8" extra on each side

IMG_3937.jpg

Quilt length is 72", so baffles are cut to 72" long (can be trimmed after they are installed, as required. I cut a pattern that is 3.25" x 72" and lay it on top of each strip and adjust so it is centered. Push down on the pattern and use a sharpie to make 2 lines down the baffle strip ( I used a gold one)

IMG_3947.jpg

Lay out the top and bottom layer and again use a Sharpie lightly to mark the sewing lines, if you use them lightly they won't be discernible on the good side.

IMG_3969.jpg
    To assemble I attached the baffle using a couple of pieces of painters tape, just for fabric management and then just aligned the 2 lines as I sewed.
    IMG_3958.jpg
    First the inside layer
    IMG_3956.jpg

Then the outside layer

IMG_3971.jpg
    This requires a bit of upfront preparation to draw the lines and such, but when you come to do the sewing, it is much simpler to sew by matching the lines. No worry about fabric stretches and such, it just aligns easy, fabric management is straight forward.

Brian
    Last edited by Cruiser51; 11-27-2023 at 13:07.

I will keep this thread updated as I go. I hope to use it for a scout campout we have planned the last weekend of January thanks for all the replies. I am using the calculator I found here.

I'm almost done with sewing the baffles. I got them a stitched on to the bottom and only 4 to go as far as stitching the top and bottom together. I hope to finish it up this weekend. Here are some pictures. 20231214_170040.jpg
    20231214_104716.jpg
    20231214_110229.jpg

• + New Posts