Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki

Missouri Frozen Butt Hang 2023

It's time to discuss our winter hang. Is Bell Mountain the preferred site, or does someone have a suggestion? Let's get together again. I will bring two sets of car keys this time. LOL

Joe

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    I’ve attended FBHs at three sites and all were good. The Bell Mountain is close to Metro STL and has a secluded hang site in the pine/cedar grove. The Taum Sauk site has has lots of campsites. Peck Ranch has a nice campsite as well.

All three have a nice Saturday hike trail with Taum Sauk being the most challenging. Bell Mountain and Peck Ranch are similar and both offer a nice hang site for Saturday night, high on a mountain. Peck Ranch has easier Saturday night access with the fire tower road only being about one mile with almost no climbing.

Any ideas or preferences?

Joe

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly
    The first weekend in January I’m usually out of town. Then work the following weekend. I’ll keep an eye on this to see when the dates are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11’ netless
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel UCR
    Wherever and whenever it is, I hope my Black Friday new under quilt purchase gets here first.
    HG says 3-4 week lead time.

Hammock
    BIAS and Dream hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ underquilt.
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

I'll be there. any time is fine. I'm ok with all 3 locations. I've never been to peck ranch section so that would be my vote. I have been to bell and taum saulk several times each and love both areas. You can't go wrong with either. looking forward to seeing everyone.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Hey all! I'd love to come, but I've been having increasing problems with my hip. "It's getting to the point where I'm no fun anymore" - Suite Judy Blue Eyes
    Anyway, I'm scheduled to see an orthopedic surgeon in February, and I hope to have hip replacement surgery soon after. If all goes well, I'll be hiking by summer!
    Wish I could join you all.
    mathineer

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    As AniOutdoor said, "Wherever and whenever" it is, I'm in! And barring unforeseen circumstances, I'll have Mrs. Twentybelow with me this year, plus a good friend of ours who moved all the way from PA to Arkansas just to be able to attend this year's FBH! Also, venison chili is back on the menu this year after a successful hunting season. I'll bring some firewood as well. Thank you runners_low for getting the ball rolling on this again. Looking forward to seeing you all and hopefully some new faces this year.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    It appears that scheduling and planning have been a problem with the MO FBH previously so I will offer some suggestions. Four other persons have posted so far and I would like each to comment on this suggestion, even though three of you indicated you are good with any site/time.

I suggest we establish a revolving site with fixed dates for future FBHs. The plan would be:

1. Fix the date as the second Friday of each January. This will avoid New Year’s Day/weekend activity from conflict.

2. We establish a revolving site to include the three sites used including Peck Ranch, Taum Sauk, and Bell Mountain, with this year's being held at Peck Ranch. I maintain the OT through Peck Ranch and had good cooperation with the Superintendent when planning the 2021 hang there. We would camp Friday, January 12 at Pine Circle Campground, then hike up to Stegall Mountain for the Saturday night hang. There are two options for getting to the mountaintop; hiking the 4 plus miles of the OT up, or driving to the fire tower parking lot outside the gate and walking less than 1 mile along the forest road which is fairly flat. This would allow anyone who needed to leave early Sunday or anyone who needed a less severe hike to reach Saturday’s campsite.

3. Each year at the hang we vote to confirm the next year’s site and post the site in trip reports so everyone will get a year’s notice.

As in 2021 I will arrive early and cut some standing pine firewood to place at the mountain campsite as well as some extra water. Originally in 2021, we were going to camp at the very mountaintop near a round rock with ample hang trees, but we moved over the hill to cut the south wind and rain that arrived with us. If the weather is good, we can camp up top.

Please respond as soon as you read this so I can contact the Superintendent to confirm he is still good with this. The only requirement in 2021 was that I get a camping permit if our group reached 10 persons, which it did not.

If the distance from STL is a problem, we could use this site to seek/offer joint travel.

Please respond with a good/bad/never opinion. I am good to forget all this if best for the FBH without being offended.

Joe. 870 405 1922
    Last edited by runners_low; 12-12-2023 at 15:26. Reason: was rejected earlier

Hammock
    BIAS and Dream hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ underquilt.
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

I like the plan.

Hammock
    DIY 11’ netless
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel UCR
    I’m good with this plan.
    I’ll have to take a Friday off and won’t arrive until the evening no matter what weekend or location it is, so the only difference for me is an extra hour or two of driving to the more eastern location.
    Having a fixed weekend each year would allow for a “save the date” reminder to be sent out at the beginning of November, so hopefully people can more easily work it into their schedule.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast