WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/Golite TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Webbing

tarp ridgeline and snakeskins ?s

I'm currently debating the 1 vs 2 lines tarp ridgeline and can't seem to find any pros/cons through the search. One deciding factor for me would be can you use snake skins with a 2 line setup? Also I want to make some snake skins and it was metioned that #4 would fit my tarp but what on earth is a #4 dimension wise?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomePatrol View Post
    I'm currently debating the 1 vs 2 lines tarp ridgeline and can't seem to find any pros/cons through the search. One deciding factor for me would be can you use snake skins with a 2 line setup? Also I want to make some snake skins and it was metioned that #4 would fit my tarp but what on earth is a #4 dimension wise?
    I did a bunch of hammock how to videos and tarps start on PART 5 ... you can see ridgelines ... 2 and 1 lines up close and personal......
    Shug's Hammock How-To
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can use snakeskins with either option.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Banned
    Images
    Hey there,

Sorry I didn't welcome you earlier. Slacking off on watching the welcome/introductions I guess.

I have a Blackbird SuperFly - so, I've got one of the largest tarps available. Smaller tarps would be easier to work with.

I went ahead and spent the $30 bucks to buy one of the "Single Line Tarp Ridgeline (S Biners)" from http://www.whoopieslings.com/No_Knot_Tarp_Guylines.html. To be honest, I will never ever ever (hopefully - giggle) setup my tarp any other way, ever again.

The ability to have two prusik knots that can be moved, without having to take down, loosen, and all that other crap you have to deal with on a 2-line system, is far beyond worth the money you will have to invest in paying opie to make you one!

Put your tarp up... put your hammock up... oh-crap... my hammock is 2 inches to far to one side... "not a problem!!"... go slide one prusik knot, go slide the other until it's tight, and bam... all is well and you didn't have to redue your entire hammock suspension just to move it 2-inches!

So, if you have a tarp... go invest $30 bucks and get one of opies Single Line Tarp Ridgelines. I went with the S Biners over the toggles because if I am so concerned about the weight of 2 little itty-bitty s-biners, and considering my gut is already 30 pounds over weight, I've probably got bigger issues to deal with (such as loosing those 30 pounds!!)

As for a snakeskin.... yeah, they are freaking amazing too!!

Whatever it takes, even if you have to go to ebay to buy one (which I had to do to find one large enough for the WB superfly) do it! Sure it adds a couple extra ounces, but the ability to get to your camp site, spend 20 seconds attaching your Single Line Tarp Ridgeline to two trees, than grapped the snakeskins and "bam"... your ready to go (other than stake-down, of course) is soooo sweet. Is the weather turning ultra bad and it's time to get out of Dodge... screw that trying to stuff a 11x10 tarp into a stuff sack when it's blowing 30+ mph... in about 10-20 seconds (faster once you get the hang of how to deal with the tie-down and Single Line Tarp Ridgeline cords) your entire tarp can be ready to shove into a pack and your hitting the trail to get back to Silvercity.

As for what the "#4" is...

As I understand it (others here could clarify this much better than I could) Hennessy Hammocks has a patent on the "Snakeskin" http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html#snake and he makes (or made??) difference sizes.

Personally, I can only find a single size on his website... and it has no indication what so ever size-# it is. I asked around here at HF of what would be the right size for my WB SuperFly and everybody told me to get a #4

Personally, I would liked to have one just a weee-bit larger, for my superfly, as the final inch or so can get a bit tight if you are in a real rush. But, if you pack it in a normal manner, the #4 can easily fit the largest tarps available. I got mine from imaginegear, on the recommendation of others here at HF.

In the description of the product it says this:

# For Expedition or Explorer Deluxe
    84" long
    8 1/2" circumference at wide end
    2 1/2" circumference at narrow end

Anyway, I hope that answers part of your questions!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I would highly recommend some sort of skins for a tarp. I had to set mine up this past weekend with 40mph gusts. The ability to unskin one side and get some stakes in prior to letting the entire sail go makes sense.

And yes... Skins will work with either a 1 line or 2 line set-up.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/Golite TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Webbing
    Thanks guys thats exactly what I needed to know. I spent this afternoon playing around making continuous loops for prusiks and a structural ridgeline whoopie sling. It's alot easier than I expected. and thanks for the advice the other day opie. Went looking for wire today and got some doorbell wire from homedepot for 26 cents to use on my lash-it, little stubborn at first but when I got the tapering down it was a cinch.

edit: And shug I watched that video when I frist found the site and completely forgot about your series. To much info in to little time stuff seems to be going in one ear and straight out the other... Good videos by the way.

Thanks again everyone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Opie made my single ridge line and it is wonderful. Opie was even able to explain how to use it to a blind person, me. Now that is a good explanation of a simple system. I also use snake skins and love them. I agree with everything that was said above.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    kritter, glad everything is working out. I was worried you might not be satisfied with the system because I generally suck at descriptions.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/Golite TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Webbing
    Well I finished making my continuous tarp ridgeline and guy lines today. Ridgeline is 30'ish with loops for attaching to the tarp and eyes on either end and is a knock of something between opie and pauls. The guylines are 8' line with a 6" loops prusik'ed on them, had to make 8 of those which took all afternoon. Fun little project but I'm glad I won't have to do this again for a long time.

• + New Posts