Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe SUL
    Insulation
    JRB MWUQ3

Advise needed: Tarp for two?

Hello more experienced hangers than I,

Surely some of you have faced this challenge. Can anyone advise on a tarp setup that will allow me to set up two WBBBs close together so me and my honey can hang together. Should I look to use the same head tree and one big tarp? What size/maker would you recommend?

Oh, I am thinking of ordering a reverse config from Brandon so that the zippers of the two hammocks face each other.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've slept with my son under a MacCat Standard...probably just a bit too small for two adults, but not much. So you can do it with smaller tarps if you choose to. Adding doors to a tarp that size will probably mean you can do it with two adults, though...something like the Warbonnet door kits or the Grizz Beaks.

If you want a bigger tarp and no worry of the doors, there are lots of options. I've used the JRB 11x10 tarp that way, and there are several pics of folks doing it with the Speer Winter Tarp.

Somewhere between the MacCat Standard and the large winter tarps? MacCat Deluxe or Warbonnet BMJ.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe SUL
    Insulation
    JRB MWUQ3
    Thanks! Do you and your son use a three tree system when you hang together (ie. same head but different foot trees)? Do you stake out both sides of the WB or just the sides away from each other?

I already have the Deluxe so I will give it a try. Something tells me I'm going to want to have a bigger option too.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    My wife and I both have sets of 6 ft and 4 ft webbing, allowing us to use older trees, which are much larger in diameter. This allows us to use the same two trees and still be close enough for one large tarp.

We prefer to have our own head side, which makes conversation much easier because you can see each other. I wouldn't bother getting a lefty, but that's just me.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I also try to hang from the same tree...his hammock comes off of one side and my hammock comes off the other. At times we've used three trees, but I usually put our heads on different trees b/c our shoulders need more separation than our feet do...just depends on how the trees are spaced.

I like to put my zipper facing him so I can adjust him during the night for winter trips...when he's usually in my DownHammock (netless) so it's easy to make sure he's not overheating or too cold. In the summer, I don't really worry about it b/c he's zipped inside and temps aren't such a big deal.

There are several pics of these setups on my page:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPictures.html
    The Jones Gap trip has some good ones, and the 23 Dec 09 Rampart Range trip has some winter pics of us on the same two trees.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe SUL
    Insulation
    JRB MWUQ3
    Trooper, Are the 4 and 6' strap lengths used with whoopie slings or directly attached to the hammock?

Guys, I'm having a hard time picturing the two hammocks/two tree set up. I got it that you put the heads on different trees. Do you then send one strap around the tree left to right and the other right to left? That could offer a separation equivalent to a little less than the radius of the tree. Is that enough?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - one strap comes off the right side of the tree, and the other strap comes off the left side of the tree. Then you get separation equal to the diameter of the tree at the point where the straps are...it's a little less where the hammocks are.

There are some pics of this in my trip reports
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPictures.html

Kobear,

My wife and I have hung in the three tree configuration and been well covered in a warbonnet superfly. The WBSF has side pull outs that give some extra room. Here's a picture granted with one wbbb and one ENO dn.

• + New Posts