Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Molly Mac Gear: MAHHA IX UQ

Folks,

On Friday night at MAHHA, Thing1 and I spent the night at 48*F, each of using a single layer IX UQ. We also had the new 2QZQ UQ Protector under us.

On Saturday night, it got down to 32*F. Thing1 was toasty with Knotty's HH SS OCF pad and a single layer IX UQ. Dutch and I each used two layer IX UQs. Mine had the 2QZQ UQ Protector; Dutch did not. Dutch had far better top insulation than I did. Dutch said he felt it was about 5*F too cold, but when he awoke, he was surprised to learn that it got to 32. In the middle of the night, I added an IX sit pad under my hammock. We were both pleased that the IX did so well!

I have decided to add a 2'X3' IX torso rectangle to the bottom of the IX UQ. I'll add it as a differential layer, so it will have the proper gap. When you nest two IX UQs, there will be four layers of IX under your torso, with built in gap.

I've also decided to eliminate the weight of the binding, and use a rolled hem instead. At each dart, I'll insert a piece of scrap IX for edge strength. Losing the grosgrain binding will make up for the added weight of the torso rectangle.

This will be called the Molly Mac Gear MAHHA IX UQ. All outstanding orders will be MAHHA IX UQs, including the UQs that BigBamaGuy will be testing.

Later, I'll add down to the torso rectangle, and see if it is worth doing.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I took a leap of faith and tried Macs UQ yesterday. I will tell you I had a bailout hammock next to me with a KAQ on it. This UQ is thin compared tot he UQ we are accustomed to by far. I had worn standard clothes and used a down Exped Wallcreeper and my bag. I also threw a OMR on top because I didn't want cold from the top to cause the failure of the results. I am not a warm sleeper and I will not sleep if I am cold.
    I went to my hammock around 11pm and it was around 40 degrees. I never felt cold and I fell asleep right away. I woke up at 4am and it was around 35 degrees. I felt a little chill but hardly noticable and not worth changing anything. I went back to sleep and woke up at 6am. I could notice slight cold through the UQ but not much. I figured it didn't get vey cold as I wasn't freezing. Much to my dismay it got down to 32 degrees. I would say that I would have been fine at 5 degrees warmer. Mac is changing it so there will be more insutex from the butt to the shoulders. With out those changes I would take it down to 40 easily. With them I'm sure freezing will be comfortable.
    This stuff is crazy light and thin. There is quite a bit of forming that goes into it and having the right fit is important.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Have had my doubts about the whole IX thing but it sounds like Mac is really getting this product figured out. TeeDee also reported excellent results with his experiments on a bridge hammock.

Will have to see for myself before I become a true believer.
    -Doubting Knotty
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Mac:
    Looking forward to the testers/tests and I am glad that the testing went so well for ya'll this weekend..I may not be able to match the results, temperatures, but I will test them out on all of the hammocks. Meriwether Lewis hang is gonna be my real testing ground, but I will do preleminary tests in the yard until then though.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    YES def. need a bridge model to follow!
    and this name, Molly Mac Gear MAHHA IX UQ, my brain needs something smaller to deal with.
    Dutch, thanks for being a tester...it's not like Mac has a profit motive here HA! and also glad to hear you used a Wallcreaper (sentimental reasons).
    It looks like I might (fingers crossed) be testing one in the Smokys this coming weekend.
    Now someone give me a weight of what is delivered when you order the MacIX and the ZQ/TQ Ucover.....I've got motives here....in 2 weeks I head north for a little walk, planning on using a 3sYeti and it's around 12 ounces......see where I'm going...

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    BTW, I'm going to make a differential cover for the IX UQ. That way, you are less likely to rig it too tight underneath your hammock. The inner covering will be cut slightly narrow, so that the IX hangs below and provides the small air gap.

One could use a covered IX UQ, and carry an uncovered IX UQ as a supplement for cooler weather.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    BTW, I'm going to make a differential cover for the IX UQ. That way, you are less likely to rig it too tight underneath your hammock. The inner covering will be cut slightly narrow, so that the IX hangs below and provides the small air gap.

One could use a covered IX UQ, and carry an uncovered IX UQ as a supplement for cooler weather.

- MacEntyre
    Will this be an add on cover for the IX SS quilts, or a separate quilt hat include a (single?) layer of dif cut shell and a layer of IX sewn to it?

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Bleemus

Yes, I sleep in a hammock. Please pass the Grey Poupon.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Intoducing InsulTubes

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Will this be an add on cover
    No, I don't know how to do that. However, it will not be absolutely necessary because of InsulTubes. (See below)

Bleemus, pics are in this thread, but I'll add more here.

Today or tomorrow I will have one of the 2'X3' integrated anti-CBS pads installed on an IX UQ. I have been trying to figure out a way to keep the layers separate, and I believe I've got it! I noodled with Pedro a bit, and then noodled more over lunch with my volunteer marketing director (an HF lurker)... and came up with InsulTubes.

InsulTubes are simply long, non-tapered, pleats that make a 3/8" tube and serve the purpose of keeping the layers of IX from touching. In other words, they provide loft. Several of these InsulTubes will be stitched into the anti-CBS pad. I'll also use them in the Molly Mac Gear IX TQ, so the top layer of IX won't lay flat on the lower layer.

I will make some and take a picture!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Baffles for Insultex. Brilliant!
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast