gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

whoopie sling question

I have whoopie slings as well as beetle buckles. Right now the BB are easier for me to use for one reason: Let me give an example of that reason..

In my back yard, I have two apple trees which are about 14-15 feet apart. I attach the dutchhook, use a toggle and marlin spike hitch, and you know the rest. The problem I'm having is that no matter how high up I place my toggle, it's harder to get my proper angle without running out of whoopie sling. I had a different result with trees spaced slightly further apart. I'd like to be able to replicate those results regardless of the tree distance, but I know it will take lots of practice.

for reference I'm about 5 feet 8 inches and I typically set my foot end as high as I can reach to achieve a few inches higher than my head end, which is at head height or slightly above. I'm fine using BB if that's what's going to be the ticket for me, but I got WS because they are a more lightweight option and seemed more versatile.

Hammock
    DIY MTN 1.7 11' x 62"
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Becket to CL
    I've had the same problem with whoopie slings, sometimes the forest is a bit dense. Dutch came out with a new more versatile WS that might be worth checking out. Currently the becket hitch directly to CL is my go-to method, but those WS sure are easy to work with when the trees cooperate.
    Lurker for years here - Trying to increase my post count so I can sell one of my hammocks.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I always felt WS were too much cordage used inefficiently so I've mostly just used UCRs. I find them easy to use and much more adjustable as far as how short they can be or as long as the line that goes through the shuttle.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chansta View Post
    I have whoopie slings as well as beetle buckles. Right now the BB are easier for me to use for one reason: Let me give an example of that reason..

In my back yard, I have two apple trees which are about 14-15 feet apart. I attach the dutchhook, use a toggle and marlin spike hitch, and you know the rest. The problem I'm having is that no matter how high up I place my toggle, it's harder to get my proper angle without running out of whoopie sling. I had a different result with trees spaced slightly further apart. I'd like to be able to replicate those results regardless of the tree distance, but I know it will take lots of practice.

for reference I'm about 5 feet 8 inches and I typically set my foot end as high as I can reach to achieve a few inches higher than my head end, which is at head height or slightly above. I'm fine using BB if that's what's going to be the ticket for me, but I got WS because they are a more lightweight option and seemed more versatile.
    In a few cases on the trail I have tied my toggle further down the tree strap from the tree and hung the foot end of the hammock right off the continuous loop. This is usually due to tight tree spacing. Never not been able to make my whoopies work. You can see that technique at 7:15 into the video below.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    I always want to camp in Sector Seven, because I know it’s secure.

Very nice video of a beautiful area. Thanks.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Quote Originally Posted by chansta View Post

I guess I'm not picturing this in my head that well. Is it possible to not use a whoopie sling on one end of the hammock and instead attach the continuous loop of the hammock to the strap/toggle?

Shug's video is the best info there is out there! Also, just wanted to post this: https://youtu.be/zfJ9u9WciDw?si=B_3cDbNg75XjCqnU

• + New Posts