BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies

Raven Rock, NC

Well it was finally here, my scout troops' first "real" backpacking trip. These are all my new scouts that have reciently crossed over from cub-scouts. Plus some of the new parents that decided to join my Troop. I've been having classes to teach them about everything, but nothing teaches better than actually getting them out to the woods!! I had 11, 11 year olds, one 13 year old and 8 adults.

Raven Rock is a great first hiking/backpacking area. The trails are easy, I think only 2 scouts fell down!! Only 1 threw up, he wasn't drinking water even though I'd stop every so often and tell them all to drink. Had a few go on a night hike but one wasn't quite sure why he was still hiking and it was dark. A few were confussed the next morning when I told them that they had to pack up all the same gear that they had humped in, they had to hump it back out. One kid asked me where the trash can was. Had another come ask me where the bag was that his tent came out of. A couple asked me for food after they finished eatting... hummm One kid had 10 pairs of socks and no jacket. And I learned that 11 year olds do not get tired after the tents are up. But before the tents are up, they're so tired they can't move.

We camped in the wilderness area site right next to the Cape Fear River. Water was pumped from the Cape Fear to drink, it's got a slight color to it but other wise, taste pretty good. There's one of the nicest pit toilets there that I've ever seen. I'd rate it like a 4 star pit toilet!! Course I tried to explain that to my new adults in the troop and they're looking at me kind of funny. Temps were cool at night, about 40 and 86 Sat and maybe 70ish Sunday. Sunday was perfect for hiking.

All of the scouts made it to the "ROCK"!! This rock is what the park is named for and is just amazing. We from the coast of NC don't get to see things like that is our area.

Sunday morning I was woke up by a Wip-o-will (spelling???) bird that was singing for all he was worth. The adults in my group said they heard lots of animals/birds through the night. I didn't hear a thing (sleeping!!) till that wip-o-will woke me up.

Lots of learning took place for all my new scouters, kids and adults!!

And I also want to thank a member of the Hammock Forum here that helped us by donating gear to my troop, if you're reading this, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

TinaLouise

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    .... I think only 2 scouts fell down!! Only 1 threw up, he wasn't drinking water even though I'd stop every so often and tell them all to drink. Had a few go on a night hike but one wasn't quite sure why he was still hiking and it was dark. A few were confussed the next morning when I told them that they had to pack up all the same gear that they had humped in, they had to hump it back out. One kid asked me where the trash can was. Had another come ask me where the bag was that his tent came out of. A couple asked me for food after they finished eatting... hummm One kid had 10 pairs of socks and no jacket. And I learned that 11 year olds do not get tired after the tents are up. But before the tents are up, they're so tired they can't move.....

TinaLouise
    Thanks for this post ... reminds me of when I was the pack leader for my son's cub scout then weblos pack ... good memories ... and contrary to policy we hiked and camped as cubs ... and they did all the same weird things. Actually a few parents that at least volunteered to help ... turned out to be weirder than boys that age!

Lots of great stories and memories from Mifflinburg, Pa and the cub scouts there.

EDIT ... Make that Den leader ... Mad Cow Disease ... can't remember all that official lingo ... but it was more about the boys in our group than the formalities of the organization. Worked out great ... actually miss those days.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    BMBH/CNA/HH/drYad/BB/RRwSd
    Tarp
    Kelty/MacCat/SupFy
    Insulation
    JRB for BMBH
    Suspension
    WS/Straps
    Images
    First class report and very entertaining. I think it's great that you are getting these kids started in the right direction.

John
    I spent most of my money on beer and women and hammocks.
    The rest I just wasted.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Just looked at the Park map. Glad you had a good time! I'll have to head over there soon.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I love Raven Rock. I live close to it. I was a scout all the way from Cub Scouts, through Webelos, to Boy Scouts. I camped there as a kid and as an adult. I did the 50 miler with the scouts one year. It was the Buckhorn trail, and actually ended up in Raven Rock. I will never forget how proud my parents were that their 14 yr old had completed, and loved, the hike. Just that memory alone give RR a special place in my book of memories!

Thanks for the report. Loved it.

NCPatrick, let me know when you want to go. I will go with you. We can do the Campbell Creek loop trail (5 miles). Not a long trail, but a nice overnighter. I have never hiked this trail, but have been thinking about it lately.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Way to get them there young 'uns out there learning and enjoying the piney woods!!!!!!
    That is how I got the bug.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    NCPatrick, let me know when you want to go. I will go with you. We can do the Campbell Creek loop trail (5 miles). Not a long trail, but a nice overnighter. I have never hiked this trail, but have been thinking about it lately.
    Sounds good. Sounds very good. Scheduling it will be a challenge though.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    We'll talk about it this weekend! Cant wait to get to Hot Springs. Been trying to make this happen since 06!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the report! Glad they all made it. I love to take out kids on their first backpacking shakedown. Its amazing what they pack or put in their pack after the first inspection, then parent adds extra stuff so the kid is comfortable ( which made him miserable because he was carrying the extra weight). We had to stop once and inspect their packs because of so many complaints. We ended up with a pile of "extra" stuff. After it was off their backs, trip was a lot smoother and they were amazed how much better they felt. It is also amazing to see the acomplishment in their eyes and spirit when we get back from the trip. Its great to see them kids grow!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great report Tina,
    Those little guys will remember that weekend for years to come and I believe they will refer to them as "the good old days".
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast