WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Any Quillows in the wild?

Does anyone have experience with the Quillow yet? I've been wanting to get something for the summer as I feel my 30deg TQ is too much for the summer time and the quillow looks like it might fit the bill perfectly.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Have not used it in the wild but I have tried it around the house and it is too warm for prolonged indoor use. Great to take the chill off but it is toasty. My Quillow has 1oz overstuff. If I were to order it again, I would skip the overstuff.
    Build quality is superb and the fabrics are really nice and soft.
    My Quillow will be on my next camping trip but that’s not until April. The flexibility of the quilt/top quilt/sleeping bag modes and compressibility were the features i liked; the pillow option is unlikely to be used.
    I am looking forward to using it in the wild.

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I also am unlikely to use it as a pillow, I've just been looking for something to handle 50deg summer temps which my 30deg is a bit too warm for me. I have a S2S liner that I have used but it is not warm enough and I end up throwing a jacket on in the middle of the night. Alternatively, I was also looking at the alpha direct blanket made by JRB. I have no idea which way to go but there is a significant pricing difference between the two. I also wish the Quillow had a 950 fill option for packability.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    I have a rectangular quilt made with 2.5oz Climashield which is rated 50*. It’s made from 2 yards of Climashield and 1oz Hyper D on both sides. Approx size is 56X71” finished and weighs just under a pound. I tried stuffing it in the stuff sack for my Quillow and surprisingly, it fits. This quilt could be lighter based on fabric selection and size. However, 71” length may not work if you are tall; I’m 66” tall and it works great for summer. I made it myself and it is super easy to make; however, you must buy full yards of fabric and insulation from RBTR and Dutchware, so making it longer could bring a financial penalty.
    For cottage vendors that could make something similar, you might look at Arrowhead Alpine Blanket or Simply Light Designs Eclipse. My WBRR Underquilt was sourced from Arrowhead and the quality is great. I’ve never purchased anything from SLD but they have a great reputation here on HF.
    My quilt is usually in shelf/pocket when I am camping in summer and gets pulled over me when I wake up cold in the middle of the night. The 50* rating is correct for me.

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by carmen2kayak View Post
    I have a rectangular quilt made with 2.5oz Climashield which is rated 50*. It’s made from 2 yards of Climashield and 1oz Hyper D on both sides. Approx size is 56X71” finished and weighs just under a pound. I tried stuffing it in the stuff sack for my Quillow and surprisingly, it fits. This quilt could be lighter based on fabric selection and size. However, 71” length may not work if you are tall; I’m 66” tall and it works great for summer. I made it myself and it is super easy to make; however, you must buy full yards of fabric and insulation from RBTR and Dutchware, so making it longer could bring a financial penalty.
    For cottage vendors that could make something similar, you might look at Arrowhead Alpine Blanket or Simply Light Designs Eclipse. My WBRR Underquilt was sourced from Arrowhead and the quality is great. I’ve never purchased anything from SLD but they have a great reputation here on HF.
    My quilt is usually in shelf/pocket when I am camping in summer and gets pulled over me when I wake up cold in the middle of the night. The 50* rating is correct for me.
    I've owned an AH 50deg UQ for my RR as well and felt underwhelmed but I probably needed to use UQ protector due to a breeze that kept stealing some of the heat. I also wasn't a fan of how large it packed compared to even my 0deg HG UQ. I had not considered the SLD but looking at it now because of the options available including the cinch collar and the foot box, both of which the AH does not have. I'm not a fan of the carabiner being used to close the cinch collar and would probably install snaps in place of it. At this point, I have decision paralysis.

• + New Posts