Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I've mulled over Patti's setup and I suspect that the silnylon might be in there so you can stand up in the net withough getting out. That would allow you to tip out the cracker crumbs and chocolate wrappers, or even get dressed without going au naturale in a bug swarm.

Or maybe it's there because she ran out of bug netting

Images
    Slowhike

Thanks for the rayway suggestion. There are a couple pics on his site that show something similar to what I am aiming for. I don't need a lot of room inside the netting, just enough room to sit up and not touch the sides. This may or may not be possible. I'll have to figure it when I start the bugnet. I should be able to tie it to the D rings in the corners of my McCat. I can't bring myself to do anything to the tarp. If I was making my own I might add something to the middle.

I finished a set of snake skins out of noseeum. I am getting better at sewing netting and think I have figured out the setting on my machine to get it to sew the netting.

I have to order the netting material and velcro so it will be a while before I can work on this. I'll post pics when I'm finished.
    Last edited by Coffee; 10-31-2006 at 23:16.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I've mulled over Patti's setup and I suspect that the silnylon might be in there so you can stand up in the net withough getting out.

That's one of the things that I like about this site and WB. I didn't even think about that as an option. I could get by with about the same amount of netting that I was thinking of before, just hang the hammock a little closer to the ground. I may not be able to stand completly up, but enough for the buggy times.

Images

Attaching bugnets to homemade hammock

I use a fine meshed tulle (wedding veil) as mosqutio netting. I have soaked the net in permethrin to stop the noseeums. So far it has worked well.YMMV. I decided to use this instead of noseeum netting because it is so much lighter. I've used it for over a year with no rips in it. If you remember, my hammock uses a spreader pole to open it in the center. This keeps steady tension on the sides and keeps the undercover tight. I simply tuck the netting between the hammock and its cover to form a tight seal. The pole and ridgeline keep it well off my face. For some reason I've gotten to the point that I don't like to peel velcro in the middle of the night. I'm sure it only sounds really loud to me but it really breaks the "spell" on clear, quiet nights. In the end, whatever works best for you is what's best. Good luck and know this... there is no cure for the DIY bug bite.:~)

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

Bug net

Why not just get a $10 net from CampMor and hang it over the hammock You could use cloths pins to connect it in a few places.

I just hung it over my test hammock and it worked fine without fastening it.

Tom

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    Why not just get a $10 net from CampMor and hang it over the hammock You could use cloths pins to connect it in a few places.

I just hung it over my test hammock and it worked fine without fastening it.

Tom
    Then I could not spend hours planning, then hours more making and testing it. Plus that would be way cheaper. There is just something about making your own gear that I like. Plus I think I can get it lighter and what I like, and not what works.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Haha - that's the spirit. Mark of a true addict.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Jeff,

I stole your hammock sock idea for a 10-day paddle down the Cape Fear river recently. Just sewed 2 sections of 45" fabric (about 10' long off the top of my head) along the long edges and put drawstrings on each end. No tapering, but it took all of 10 minutes to make. Even used it as a bivy on top of my groundcloth one night when they were calling for below-freezing temps.

Superb protection, and condensation was minimal with a ridgeline.

Now, I got to thinking while hanging there about how to make that into a summer sock. It hangs enough from the hammock that condensation "shouldn't" be a problem if the bottom was all sil-nylon. I'd also make 18" or so of the top out of silnylon for spray protection on the ends. Make the rest of the top out of tulle or no-see-um, taper one end to about 6" diameter and leave the other end full width for easy entrance/exit. From the top it would look something like:

/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /XXXXX XXXXXXXX
    /XXXXXX XXXXXXXX
    I silnylon Tulle / noseeum silnylon
    \ XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX
    \XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX
    \XXXXXX____________________________XXXXXXXXX

The drawstring at the head end allows for stupid easy entrance and exit and a good seal. I'm not even sure it if would have to be 100% shut as long as there was some fabric up there to seal the end.

If condensation turned out to be an issue, I'd just do the bottom in .75 oz fabric or noseeum - which ever was lighter. I'd still keep the silnylon end caps though.
    Last edited by Johnny Swank; 11-15-2006 at 11:41. Reason: .
    Have you attempted or completed an AT Thru-hike?
    Take the AT Thru-hiker Survey

Ok ASCII art ain't my strength!
    Have you attempted or completed an AT Thru-hike?
    Take the AT Thru-hiker Survey

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    Ok ASCII art ain't my strength!

Yeah, that ACSII diagram just ain't cuttin' it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast