Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Attaching bugnets to homemade hammock

I am to the point where I am thinking about how I am going to use a bugnet in the hammock I am making. I saw the directions for the Speer hammocks using velcro. I saw some people just using extra material and hanging it over the hammock. I am looking to keeping everything light and simple. I think velcro would give me the best seal and bug protection. When taking into account the weight of the velcro, a bigger bugnet would weigh about the same and be simplier to use.

My question to all the homemade gear people out there is what do you use or recommend for the bugnet?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a few ideas that I haven't decided on yet. I'm thinking that it can't get much lighter than the MLD design - sew it most of the way around, and it looks like just a bit of elastic to keep it snugged on the open side. That means non-removable and always getting in on the same side, which may stretch the hammock material on that side over time. But if I made my own and got a full season's use out of it, I'd be ok.

But the most versatile seems to be Patti's bug bivy - 5.8 oz and removable, with a complete seal and very easy entry/exit. Plus I could still hang my feet over the sides or use the sides as a pillow when I want to.

I was also thinking of a way to make a TravelPod, then hang my headnet from the ridgeline and connect the bottom to the TravelPod right at the zipper. If I could get a good seal, that would be bug protection for the weight of some velcro if I'm already carrying the other two pieces.

My last idea was something like a mix between the bug bivy and a TravelPod. Have a sil bottom just big enough to use as a groundsheet, then sew the bug net to that so it's like a bug bivy. But then I could whip it (not tightly) to the hammock supports so the sil would become a loose undercover/windblock for the hammock, while still providing bug protection. Getting the dimensions down for that might take some trial and error, but it would be bug protection on the ground or in the hammock, a windblock undercover, a groundcloth, etc. So it could be used in all seasons.

So many decisions. I never use a bug net here in Monterey or in my favorite campsite at Little Sur River...so I just take my HH if I'm going somewhere I'm not sure of. Guess I'll need to do figure it out when I get to NC, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I think if I were going to do a basic bug net I would just go with extra material.

I think if I really wanted to go all out on a bug net I would probably go with a zipper one side and then sew it in on the other side. That way I could throw the netting over a ridge line and zip it up for a bug proof setup. I couple of Velcro tabs on the sewn in side to secure the netting when not in use.

I would think that you would have to put Velcro around the whole parameter of the hammock to get a totally bug-proof seal. If there is a tiny gap in the netting mosquitoes will find me!

Images
    Thanks for the link Jeff. I forgot about that pic on your website. It's hard to tell all the details from the pic of the bug bivy, but it looks like what I am looking for. I am really liking the entry from either side. And like you said, you can hang your feet or head out with that. I also may be able to site in the hammock like a chair and be protected from the bugs, not possible with any other options.

On the contruction, it looks like it has openings on each end that are the size of the hammock straps. That would make no fancy attachments needed. It will hang off of a ridgeline. I only need one opening to get in and out of. I can seal that with velcro.

My only question is the sil-nylon on the bottom. It doesn't look like it is big enough for the ground sheet you are talking about. It may be there only to hold gear without damaging the bugnet.

Now I now what all the homemade gear people were always talking about. The tinkering never stops.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Her version isn't meant to be a groundsheet. I didn't ask specifically why she put the sil on the bottom, but I'd guess it's just better protection in case the bottom scrapes the ground - sil won't pick up mud and debris like bug net will, and won't snag on twigs and rip as easily.

Maybe a small string to tie around the very ends if you're REALLY worried about bugs getting in...ants crawling down the supports, maybe. Not sure that's necessary, though.

You could also run a small cord from the tarp tie-out to the bug net so you can pull the bug net away from the hammock. That would give you enough room to sit up inside the hammock. Otherwise, the net will probably lean against your head/neck if you're sitting sideways like a lounger. My HammockSock does, anyway...it's ok (and not much more) if I sit straight up Indian-style, but the material touches me if I'm lounging sideways.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    I didn't think about that. I side tie out similar to the HH tieouts running to the tarp would fix that. I am thinking about making the ridgeline a little higher in order to give me more head room.

I am not to worried about the ends. The problem I have with the bugnet is testing. I want a hammock setup to take on my through. Leaving in March I am not going to have a chance to fully test the bugproofness until I am using it in the summer.

I'm planning on making a gear hammock of some kind, but I still might put a small amount of sil-nly on the bottom to hold things I might want while in the hammock.

Images
    I just that I thought on the sil-nlyon on the bottom. If you do not sew it in the bottom, the 2 sides of netting are sewn together. This will pull the side walls closer together. The sil-nylon will keep the walls farther apart. I saw this in Risk's travel pod.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You mean adding in the insert? That's just a question of width - you could add the insert from bug net as well.

Using the bug bivy means you can still get to your gear when it's in the gear hammock, too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    You mean adding in the insert? That's just a question of width - you could add the insert from bug net as well.
    Yeah I am a little slow sometimes with the details. That and I like to think out loud when post.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    [QUOTE=hammock engineer;1030]I didn't think about that. I side tie out similar to the HH tieouts running to the tarp would fix that. I am thinking about making the ridgeline a little higher in order to give me more head room.

. take a look at the ray way site. note how his design on the tarp tent has several attachment points (two in the center & two on each side i belive) where the bug net tent is attached to the inside of the tarp. very light weight & simple, yet gives lots of head room.
    the complication comes though from needing to have additional attachment points inside the tarp. ...tim

I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast