Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

quick 1st impression MacEntyre IX(SS style) UQ

Not sure where to put this, since it bears little resemblance to either a traditional hammock UQ ( for one thing, loft is close to ZERO! ) nor a pad. So moderators move as needed.

So I'm off today, and I notice my MacEntyre IX UQ has arrived. Dang, if the mail had just run an hour or two earlier, I could have already made a better test. But the temp was already about 70*F and rising. Still, I couldn't resist. I grab my HH with SS, and remove both UC and pad/Space blanket (I have seldom removed those over the last 3 years). I open the Tyvec package of two UQs. I was going to start with one, but the 2 "quilts" were attached to each other at each side grosgrain loop and at the head/foot suspension, and I was in a hurry, so I went with that.

It was the ultimate in simplicity to just attache it where I had attached the HHSS. On each end is some shock cord. I had no idea what to do with tension, as I have read that too tight is the main problem with this IX, but of course way too loose could be a problem also. So I place my HH prussick hooks for tarp and SS as loose, as close to the hammock, as I could. This still left the almost weightless quilt suspended up higher than the hammock, but there was a lot of stretch available from the suspension shock cord. So then I put the quilt under the hammock and in I went.

OK, it was not cold so I will have to wait a bit to really make a judgment about that. Still, I quickly became aware of a very warm back. Much as I do when I lay in the HHSS with pad and SB. But for now, there is nothing under me but the IX, period. So I quickly un-attache the IX UQ from the HH side tie outs, get back in, and after a few minutes of VERY warm back, I push the UQ aside. ( BTW, while official temp was about 70-72*F, I am on my back porch, completely in the shade, with the Sun still shining on the other side of the house. So I suspect I might have been a degree or two cooler, but who knows. There was a light intermittent breeze)

After I push the quilt aside, I become aware of a cool back, especially when the breeze blows. So I switch back and forth several times, and I can always quickly tell the difference. From about as cool as you would want your back to be while trying to sleep, to quite warm. So, what, I'm guessing- at least 10 or 20* difference, or maybe more? I have no idea, but a very noticeable difference. And more so with a breeze.

Then I cut the strings attaching the 2 quilts and separated them, and repeated the above on/off test. Once again, a clearly noticeable difference. But I think I could tell the dif was not as big as with both IX layers. How much dif is anybody's guess.

So, that's it for now. First impression: it's Da Bomb. Maybe Da Nuclear Bomb. It seems like the one layer of this ( what is the weight, < 3-4 oz?) ought to cover most of us in the summertime, and maybe the very late spring or very early fall, depending on altitude and latitude, of course. (the other layer has no suspension so weighs even less) It could not be simpler to use, bulk is low, weight is extremely low, it may well provide significant wind block and water worries should be minimal. While usable temp ranges(and one layer vs two or more) and spot coverage( will there be any gaps along the legs or butt?) are yet to be determined, what is not to like? Some unknown but significant amount of warmth, by itself or augmenting all manner of quilts, with all of the benefits listed above? Shazamm! With a big WhoooBuddy on top! I look forward to determining, by experiment, the many ways this can be used alone and for warmth boost of various under quilts.

MacEntyre of the MMP fame ( and TeeDee who has gone this same route with IX UQs), you are quite the innovator!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-15-2010 at 13:02.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    BB, that is a misleading title...quick and BB posts don't cross paths often.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    BB, that is a misleading title...quick and BB posts don't cross paths often.
    And it really wasn't all that quick, either, was it? As usual! Oh well, how about :Quick for BB?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    BB:
    Gppd to see that your tests are going good. I am waiting on my IX testers from Mac and they should be here after the MAHHA. I have three hammocks to try these on and will report seperately on my results. All of the hammocks are gathered end and varying sizes for width as well as length. Hopefully we will continue to have cool nights, well at least for the south, and I can give them a thorough testing.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

BB, didn't you say you had a safari stashed around there somewhere? You mentioned removing your super shelter so I assume that you were trying it on an explorer. If you do have a safari, I'd love to know how it fits. Just wondering if any mods would be in order to use them on the longer body.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    First impression: it's Da Bomb!
    Why, thank you very much, BillyBob!

You did exactly what I just did with my brother in the hammock. He said he did not feel any particular warmth, until I removed the IX UQ... Then, he immediately said he felt the cold air underneath!

This weekend, I shall try one with a raw IX layer to supplement it. Temps might get down to 40*F.

+1 on the Safari! We're all waiting to hear how it fits!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    BB, didn't you say you had a safari stashed around there somewhere? You mentioned removing your super shelter so I assume that you were trying it on an explorer. If you do have a safari, I'd love to know how it fits. Just wondering if any mods would be in order to use them on the longer body.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

+1 on the Safari! We're all waiting to hear how it fits!

- MacEntyre
    Well, OK, here ya go. It took me a while to find my ( No Net) Safari, it has been so long since I used it. Big mistake, that hammock is sooooooo comfy, with no left calf pressure at all. I really should use it more. A little heavy ( tad over 2 lbs) but so luxurious!

Looks like no problem, though it is not the perfect fit it is with the Explorer. For the extra length, I just take a piece of cord added on each end and attached 6" or so closer to the hammock body than would be the case if I attached to the prussicks/hammock suspension like I do on the Explorer. It may not even be really needed, the elastics on the quilt MIGHT stretch enough, but then the quilt might be too snug which I guess you don't want with IX. A bigger problem is the width and especially if you run the lateral tie out cords through the grosgrain loops on the quilt. Because the safari is wider than the Explorer, and you want to be cautious about tearing the quilt. But looks to me like it can be done with a little common sense when tensioning and light mods as needed- like cord used for extension.

Also, the side tie outs may be needed more than with the Explorer. I don't know if it is because I can get more lateral in the safari. But, there seems to be a tendency for the quilt to either slip off my right foot of left shoulder. using the grosgrain loops on each side prevents this. But some caution is needed to make sure things are not too tight. But I'm pretty sure it can all be made to work, no problem. If you are using a netted hammock with no zips, it might be wise to make the adjustments with two people, one outside to make sure nothing is getting too much tension.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Got the Explorer set back up with single layer of IX. It is an excellent fit, BTW, couldn't help but notice again. I have no idea if it is too tight or not. When I feel below with me in it, I would call it just barely- or maybe "almost", in contact, but not tight at all. This is with it set as "loose" as I can get it using just the stock prussick hook.

Mac says fit is everything with IX. TeeDee said he needed some(very slight?) air gap. I think I might have some very slight gap under me, just not sure yet if there are gaps at every point. It seems pretty well sealed around the edges.

Any way, I would say I was just warm enough in the low 50s(one layer). I don't really know if I could go much lower. I might get a chance to test that later in a few days. Still, if that is all I can do without adding layers of IX or using it to augment something else, that is still pretty impressive for only ~ 4 waterproof/windproof oz.

EDIT: Definitely not waterproof! The fabric itself might be, but there are far too many super small needle holes. However, probably very water resistant as far as splash up, and dries VERY quickly. So it would probably function quite well if accidentally exposed to much water. For one thing, those people manage to keep warm enough in the videos after going into the icy lakes on purpose. But, definitely very wind proof.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-17-2010 at 10:14.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Would a space blanket help this in any way as with the SS. Or is it totally not necessary. I could see two layers of the IX one with suspension and one without (to be added as one's second layer, if necessary) and a Mylar sheet cut to size and still not be at 8 oz.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ewok View Post
    Would a space blanket help this in any way as with the SS. Or is it totally not necessary. I could see two layers of the IX one with suspension and one without (to be added as one's second layer, if necessary) and a Mylar sheet cut to size and still not be at 8 oz.
    It might be unnecessary, as I think this functions as a radiant blocker anyway. There seems to be debate about the breathability. I think it is at least somewhat breathable, and the manufacturer claims it is breathable. So if you need a vapor barrior, for ex if augmenting the HHSS, then the space blanket might still be called for. That is one more thing to experiment with.

Right now, my impression is that one layer used all by itself is good for about 15*F worth of insulation(IOW good to ~55-60), plus being wind proof. ( see my separate thread
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16608 ) But if that is the case, then there must be something more than just additive when using multiple layers. Considering TeeDee was toasty at ~11F with 3 layers, top and bottom. That would be more like 21F per layer. Other variables might be how the thing fits, amount of gap, etc. There is a lot to be experimented with here, a lot to learn. But looks like excellent potential.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-17-2010 at 13:09.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast