Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Exped Downmat Modification

This is a very simple mod that allows you to inflate an Exped downmat in record time, with amazing ease. I was reminded of this idea at the MAHHA hang, and I tried it this afternoon with excellent results. No pictures should be necessary. This works on my older model, I don't know how it would work on the new integral pump models All that you need for this is a lawn & leaf or contractor trash bag. Obvious dual usage item.

Step 1. Remove downmat from stuff sack/pump.
    Step 2. Cut a corner out of the bottom of the trash bag. Just a bit, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" in from the corner. Start smaller and work your way up.
    Step 3. With the plug removed, insert sack/pump into the garbage bag and line the hole that you made in the garbage bag up with the fitting in the sack/pump. Push the edges of the trash bag hole into the pump fitting.
    Step 4. Insert valve of the downmat into the pump fitting, thereby clamping the garbage bag material in place.
    Step 5. Use the trash bag just as you would the pump/sack, only now it will feel more like playing bagpipes. The volume available is easily enough to fill my downmat 7 short in 2 cycles of filling and emptying.

Downmat owners, please try this and let me know if it works for you.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Pedro - thanks for the tip. I have an older Exped downmat , purchased maybe 3 years ago, that is inflated by the stuff sack/air pump. I don't think inflating the mat is as big a pain as some say. Its ok, but not great.

Recently following another thread about the Exped hammock and doing searches about it lead me to take a look at other new Exped products. I came upon the new downmat and synmats with the newer built in air pump. Nice improvements. The air pump is now built inside the side tube which looked to work much faster and easier. So I'm thinking I ought to have waited a year or two before ordering my downmat.

Exped also has a couple of new pillows which can be used to inflate the mat. The pillows look nice too, better than my Crazy Creek neck pillow I currently use which is ok but it won't inflate my down mat, but unfortunately the Exped pillow info said the air connections on the pillows only work on the newer mats. Nice pillow but again it won't inflate my downmat faster.

With your tip I now I have something new to try.

D

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Great idea. I'll have to give that a try next cold snap.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    on a really cold night i never could get used to how long it took for the downmat to 'heat up' and had to carry a thin ccf to put on top of it...not even mentioning the weight of the thing....each their own

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Thermarest X-Therm
    Suspension
    Mule Tape / Becket
    Images
    Pedro,

I followed your explanation, but not having tried it yet, it seems as though the sack pump would block the air from the plastic bag trying to go into the mattress. Am I missing something or does the air pass by the inflating sack without any problem?

In any case, I should give it a try because I find the inflation with the stuff sack to be kind of a pain.

Doug

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    doheir,

The fitting on the pumpsack doesn't impede the flow of air, but you may get the best results by rolling or folding the top of the pumpsack down so that the foam in the bottom holds the sack firmly open. When I tried it, the air went in with no problem.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Thermarest X-Therm
    Suspension
    Mule Tape / Becket
    Images
    Pedro,

Thanks for the reply. Did you use a fairly rugged plastic bag (i.e. contractor's bag) versus a regular weight bag such as used in a trash can?

Great tip - I appreciate it.

Doug

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I used a lawn & leaf bag. A contractors' bag would be more durable. I don't know if a kitchen garbage bag would be sturdy enough, I doubt it.

• + New Posts