BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreening View Post
    I learned that I love my Clark for its all-in-one package. The storm shield is the shiz-nit and is like having a second tarp. It really helps to hold heat in. I also learned that the standard tarp on the standard North American is woefully inadequate for anything other than strictly keeping in the hammock dry. If it's raining, and especially windy and raining, don't try to get anything done under it and expect to stay dry.

I learned that at least "some" tent campers don't mind hanging their bear bag 20' away from your hammock. Maybe they thought I was a tree taco or something.
    I've got the next size Clark tarp that I think was called the XL tarp. Although there's nothing XL about it!! Still from what I've "heard" it's a bit wider than yours. If it's raining & I'm needing to stop for lunch and wanting a tarp, I'll set it up low to the ground and on an angle from head to foot with the low end towards the incoming rain. That's about all you can do. At night I'll set it the same way only the low end is the foot end. Mind you I'm talking about the "tarp"!! The hammock is still set up with the foot higher than the head. Sort of becomes a ballancing act trying to pitch the tarp to keep out the rain and hammock w/feet higher. Sometimes I've accendently switched them so when I get inside the hammock my feet are to low. But because it's raining I don't want to adjust my ropes so I just turn around and sleep backwards. Works for me.
    Have you disconnected your tarp from the hammock? I've found that if I want to do any cooking under my tarp, I've got to pack up my hammock. Lunch time, I'm only setting up the tarp if I really need it.

My thinking about why people will hang their bear bag right next to you is 1, they really don't see you or 2, they think you're just "relaxing" and that you're gonna be sleeping in the shelter or setting up your tent by them.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I learned how to Make woopie slings and how to splice line Thanks WVDave. I also agree with TG and cant see my self switching to an alchy stove but mabey woodburning stove after seeing WV's. I also learned that Pedro and Iafte are great cooks thanks guys. That im always going to have a great weekend if I go to an HF hang.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    alcohol stove stink? seriously? why have i never noticed this? anyone else smell alcohol stoves in operation?

Back in the "real" world I have a welding company. Everything we weld has to be preheated and we do it with natural gas burners. Whenever a burner is not ventilated properly and getting enough air the poorly combusted natural gas gets this funky smell to it. The alcohol stoves I smelled at the hang had that exact same funky smell. It's probably just me but it's a funk I can't take.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    given your experience, I can see that the smell would set off 'alarms' even when you are away from work. Jetboil or other cannister stove is fine if that is your preference (Hike Your Own Hike, Carry Your Own Pack!). Alcohol still is less stinky than white gas, and if spilled evaporates quickly and does not leave petroleum products on your gear for the rest of the trip. personally, I like all kinds of firemaking, but each in it's proper place. KM

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Ethanol and methanol are odorless and tasteless, and so are H2O, CO and CO2... must have been something burning on the stove itself.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    I have never smelled anything at all with either of my 2 alcohol stoves. Of course, I have not been trying to see if I could smell anything, but I have not noticed anything. I have had some wood stoves stink the place up with wood smoke.

But no matter. For me, if temps allow canister stove use, it is still open for debate- for me anyway- as to whether there is any advantage (weight wise) to an alky. That little 2.7 oz Coleman of mine, with a small canister( 5 or 6 oz max?), will boil(and simmer) so much water so rapidly(~16-44 cups per small canister depending on variables), that it seems difficult to get much more weight efficient unless it is just an over nighter and I take just an oz or 2 of alcohol. So, either seems a fine choice to me. Now below freezing might be a different story.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-20-2010 at 11:17.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I just finished a bud lite bottle stove, Used heet for fuel, no smell at all..

Really cool little stoves, this one is closer to a simmer stove, gonna make a hotter burning one next, so I can have both options..

Insulation
    warm stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    given your experience, I can see that the smell would set off 'alarms' even when you are away from work. Jetboil or other cannister stove is fine if that is your preference (Hike Your Own Hike, Carry Your Own Pack!). Alcohol still is less stinky than white gas, and if spilled evaporates quickly and does not leave petroleum products on your gear for the rest of the trip. personally, I like all kinds of firemaking, but each in it's proper place. KM
    I haven't noticed a smell with the alcohol burners that Cranky Bear uses, but i wasn't trying, i try to steer clear when he is experimenting with flames...I did notice that when either of us untwisted the canister from my Jetboil too slow it stunk, but i still love my jetboil. worked great at the hang and i had some awesome oatmeal and coffee for breakfast...although i did see the coffee press at REI.I may have to go get it..
    Really any of the smells can be cured with a nice breeze...lol
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I bet it's like Esbit tabs...some people say they stink so bad they can't even carry them in their packs, and others say they smell nothing. I can always smell my alcohol stoves burning, even several different models and they all smell the same. It's not that bad, but I can definitely smell them.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I smell my alcohol stoves but its not a terrible smell to me I can live with it.

As for Esbit Tabs.... god awful smell to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast