Hammock
    DIY hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3-Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I made my whole alchy cook system for under 10 dollars and that includes the $6 for a 32oz can of denatured alcohol. my hiking partner has a jet boil, we weighed the two systems and mine is a whole pound lighter. unless im expecting gale force winds, the alchy stove is in my pack.

I haven't smelled anything while using any of my alky stoves, maybe I'm just used to it now and don't realize that there is a smell? Or maybe I'm takin in all the wonderful smells and fumes, oh wait where am I, who am I again, Hi Shug, I like the wind!!!!!
    But really I'm sure that there is some sort of smell from the products of combustion and some might be more sensitive to it than others!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have never smelled anything at all with either of my 2 alcohol stoves. Of course, I have not been trying to see if I could smell anything, but I have not noticed anything. I have had some wood stoves stink the place up with wood smoke.

But no matter. For me, if temps allow canister stove use, it is still open for debate- for me anyway- as to whether there is any advantage (weight wise) to an alky. That little 2.7 oz Coleman of mine, with a small canister( 5 or 6 oz max?), will boil(and simmer) so much water so rapidly(~16-44 cups per small canister depending on variables), that it seems difficult to get much more weight efficient unless it is just an over nighter and I take just an oz or 2 of alcohol. So, either seems a fine choice to me. Now below freezing might be a different story.
    I think you touched on a number of good points. First , i have never smelled anything from my alky stoves. I mostly use the Mini Atomic but it is usually backup to my Bushbuddy, except i think that when fire season kicks in i may choose to use the Mini more often. For hikes of a few days , say 4+ days the weight difference between alky and cannister is negligible but for over night you can take a few ounces of alky fuel and there are weight savings. Having said that, who cares . Ascetics play a big part in all we do in our camping experience and the gram wienie part is the least important IMHO. We don't want to carry more than we have to, but really. I like the fact that you can see how much fuel you have with alky stoves. I like that their silent and that i can get the fuel, in my case Methyl Hydrate, everywhere, kind of like "AA" batteries. In the winter i think its a different thing in that alky's become less efficient then and in a situation where you might want allot of water a canister may just be the ticket but i'm not a winter camper at this point so we'll see.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dble
    Tarp
    BWWD v2
    Insulation
    Incubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchHook
    Images
    Things I knew before Mahha: my alcohol stove smells; my pack was way to heavy; I need more time on my alcohol stove to proper fuel usage; HF people are nice and helpful

Things I learned at Mahha: my pack is way to heavy (the hike in and out reaffirmed this); taking many trips into and out of the site generates more stuff to pack out even if you take some stuff out on random trips down; HF people rock (I got advice and tips about UQ setup, and general knowledge); my pack is too heavy; collapsible hiking pole are susceptible to breakage when over extended (broke both within the first two hours); I need to spend more time in the camp to catch the tours and demos; time flows differently at the Mahha it is easy going fun times than the next thing you know it is Sunday and you are packing up; did I mention my pack was heavy;

I had a great time and I look forward to the fall Mahha. I hope to have some things figured out by then and I know that if I don't I will find plenty of people that can help.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I had a lot of guest this time and I didn't spend enough time with HF people. I did learn a lot about insultex from Mac and WV's stuff is really neet once I found it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    I learned to look up before slipping my sweet 1" straps and Dutch Clips around that "perfect" tree for the Widow Maker lurks above eye level - thanks again, Memphis. I learned from 2Q and Cranky Bear how to not hang my HH so tight, how to properly gauge ridge line tension and to add about 30 degrees of angle from the huggers down to the hammock for a more comfortable hang. I learned that Shug has something going with his "breakfast in the hammock" concept . . I like it a lot. I am motivated to try an alcohol
    stove with a DIY caldera cone and to make my own gravity water filter since I ran short of bottled h2o and couldn't have my third cup of coffee in the morning. Finally, I learned that the mahha hang was a lot of fun and I'd like to do it again.

I'm not sure I taught anything this trip.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    I'm not sure I taught anything this trip.
    Well, at the fall hang you can teach us how to make the perfect cuppa joe on an alcohol stove, please.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Still Searching
    Tarp
    Still Searching
    Insulation
    Still Searching
    Suspension
    Still Searching
    Quote Originally Posted by Adia View Post
    I learned a lot. I learned that for a little as i am and as roomy as my scout was, when you add 2 sleeping bags, a pad, and a down throw blanket....it is very tiny. I learned that i REALLY need a zipper mod (my scout is headed out for that soon). I also learned a lot from all the folks out there, but i think the most important thing i learned was that hammock folks are the best type of people....Helpful, and super nice...i couldn't have had a better weekend.

So if you try winter hanging with a scout and throw in 2 sleeping bags, 2 blankets, and a pad, then try to get in the bottom with someone my size 5'10" 185lbs, you can have an adventure and learn how to get out of a scout when the only thing you can move is your legs...
    Brian D. Samosky

It's a kilt!! If it were a skirt, I'd be wearin somthin under it!!

For certain, you have to be lost to find a place as can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    – John 3:16.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    MatCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    MW3, JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Straps, Webbing

it was the hair in his nose

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Ethanol and methanol are odorless and tasteless, and so are H2O, CO and CO2... must have been something burning on the stove itself.

Nuff said on that topic.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123