Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Got what I needed (and then some) at:

Outdoor Source
    Kingsdale Center
    Upper Arlington, OH 43221
    (614) 457-3620

Also came back home with a sweet Black Diamond Orbit lantern. Probably didn't need that but I've been lusting after one since I saw the review on it ( http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=black+diamond ).

Anyway, PLUQ is built - just have to figure out how to rig the thing correctly now. Also need to adjust cordage on it - intentionally left that a bit long for now.

Cool thread and cool idea!

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just got out of the hammock long enough to see this thread. It never ceases to amaze me how creative people are on this site. Improvising things they already to serve a need. (And sometimes others need just to help out)
    Before I had my first underquilt I wanted to try this, never thinking to double it to increase it's effectiveness. The best thing though is you modified using the KISS principle, still maintaining it's orig purpose making it a "Dual purpose" item.
    Biggest downside I see is "Packability" My PL would take up half the space in my Aarn Peak Aspir. Adding even more i.e. Insultex would not help keeping it small. What about using Reflectex between layers? Saw Shug puts between CCF pad to keep his hiney /feet warm. May get a Woodland Camo PL and make me one just to match my Claytor JH.
    Many Kudos to you Dejoha
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmanob View Post
    Many Kudos to you Dejoha
    My work is just built on the shoulders of others, but thanks.

We took two PLUQ's out this weekend with my boys again and they worked great. We also used them as throws as we talked around the camp fire.

The only thing I don't like about the fold-over PLUQ is that after pulling it out of the backpack, it takes a little while to untangle it and get it ready to hang. I think I'm ready to take the thread-injector and sew the channels permanently so it will be easier to deploy.

I agree that the PLUQ is bulky and heavy, but it is one piece of gear I don't mind "roughing up". This past weekend took us near Gooseberry Springs, Arizona, where we discovered all kinds of thorn bushes on the ground that would have murdered my nice down UQ. The PLUQ saved the day!

weight of pluq

I thought that the pluq weighed about 16 oz. I think for a synthetic uq you are not going to get much lighter in weight or bulk.

Has anyone tried the IX in between. if you left the ends open on a folded pluq you could slip in the IX as needed, like what you do with an spe.

Does anyone see a problem with that? I did worry about condensation on the layer inner to the IX. I understand it does not breath much.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    How much does his darn thing weigh and does ace hardware have tiny diameter shock cord? Thanks dejoha for the experimentatin

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    I just caught up to this thread. I think it may hold the key to my first "real" UQ! (I'm cheap, and don't run a thread injector yet. That makes for challenging DIY experiences!!)

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Weight of PLUQ

Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    How much does his darn thing weigh and does ace hardware have tiny diameter shock cord? Thanks dejoha for the experimentatin
    I weighed my PLUQ at 23 oz (652 g), which includes shock cord and six (6) cord locks.

I've simplified the design somewhat, after more practice, etc. Originally, I used 550 cord in the channels, thinking the weight of the PLUQ would be too much for shock cord, but I've successfully run shock cord through the channels. This simplifies construction considerably because you can create a single loop of 1/8" shock cord and tie it off.

To cinch the ends, you can still use shock cord and a cord lock as illustrated.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    None of the Ace hardwares in my area did.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Joann's and other sewing/fabric stores often have elastic (shock) cord available by the yard... My local Joann's does (or did until I bought it all). They don't call it shock cord.. it's round elastic... those wierd quilters! I tell them what I'm making, and their eyes glaze over...

Paul at AHE has the best service in town...

---edit --- Just checked Joann.com, they have 5 yards of 1/16 elastic in black or white for $1.59...
    Last edited by JohnSawyer; 05-26-2010 at 00:33.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123