Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Great article

Grizz I decided last night to make a Bridge and got tired of trying to read the very extensive posts. Finally I just looked at you pics and got to work. Wish I would have waited to read your article but a picture is worth a thousand words anyhow. It took me from midnight to 2:30 am to make it and I slept in it from 3am to 5am when it started to drizzle. I have to get to work on a tarp next. I made my body 7 1/2 feet long and I wish I had kept it about 1 foot shorted. The foot end is narrower than the head end. It's not because I have small feet, I just have a big head. I love how flat it lays, it will put an end to the critics that say they don't want to sleep like a banana. There was some shoulder squeeze but i haven't had any time to experiment with different length spreader bars. I liked how I could see all around due to the cat cut. The most exciting part was I could urinate just by turning on my side. I know that doesn't sound that exciting it beats getting out and trying to get comfortable again. Next time I'll put my shoes on the other side though . Wel you are single handedly bringing hanging to a new high.

Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    nice looking article grizz! we appreciate yall's hard work on that project.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot
    Grizz, those directions look wonderful! After reading them I have this strange urge to make a bridge hammock. Now if only I could find $1 1.9 oz. ripstop . . .
    “We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    The most exciting part ....
    I'm imagining exciting new bridge hammock accessories

Well you are single handedly bringing hanging to a new high.
    hardly single handedly. I'm more an evangelist and apologist (St. Grizz the Apologist, kinda has a nice ring to it, dontcha think?)

Was hoping for a trip report from your time in the Whites. Find places to hang OK?

StGtA

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Grizz The White were just awsome. I had sleet and snow on Lafyette and 60 degrees and sunny for Washington and the Presedentials. Places to hang were tough but do-able. It was much tougher because there was 3 of us to find trees for. I was prepared to hike till nightfall and string up accrosss the trail if it came to that. My tarp suspension with the figure nines were really great to set up my tarp in a minute's notice for some sudden rain storms. I beleive there are more places to hang in the whites than to set up a tent. Of course you can hike hut to hut, but spending my nights with catered meals and 90 patagonia clad yuppies is not idea of an outdoor experience. It meant something to me that you remembered I was gonna hike the Whites. Hope to see you at a campout someday.

Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

Images
    Nice Grizz!
    I'm glad to see a central summary on how this is done. Hopefully, this will encourage others to jump in and come up with new ideas.
    After reading your guide I decided to finish up my bugnet. It came out functional and I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. I'm going to get some stuff from quest this week and hopefully start on the next version.
    For the guide, I would suggest a section for accessories. There seems to be a lot of possibilities and maybe people reading the guide will come up with others.
    Nice job, and I'm glad you took the time to do it!
    If for some reason any of my photos might be useful in explaining something feel free to use any of them.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    OK, now maybe I'll try this thing. Good work on the documentation Grizz, thanks for taking it easy on us non-math hangers!

Images
    Wow! Great post for DIYs.... I have a question though....How comfortable is a bridge hammock? Anybody out there actually go camping with the thing?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chump_Monkey View Post
    Wow! Great post for DIYs.... I have a question though....How comfortable is a bridge hammock? Anybody out there actually go camping with the thing?

I've spent 3 "backyard" nights in mine, under a tarp each night, under rain one of those. All great.

I can lay on my side and I can lay on my stomach, and also a position that's sort of in-between. I can't do that in my HH Explorer, and I like it a lot, it's more like I sleep on a mattress.

I'm really comfortable...my next version will be aimed at taking it on the trail (lower weight, safe use of hiking poles as spreader bars).

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast