Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I have a Claytor Diamond fly (http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ scroll midway down the page). It covers a WBBB well and it's pretty cheap at $50 including shipping. I like it well enough but, it is heavy for it's size so, if you ever needed a larger tarp for late season camping you'd be better off (imo) to just buy a large "do all" sil tarp from the get go. A large sil tarp would probably be lighter and you can pitch it open for ventilation but, you can't batten down a small tarp for bad weather.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's why I like the door idea...you get big-tarp-coverage for little-tarp-weight when you close up the doors. And when you pull them back, you still have the views.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

A MacCat standard in spinn or sil with 2QZQ sewn on doors or Grizz Beaks would give good coverage and the ability to close off the ends!?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - I've been thinking about putting doors on my Standard for that reason. But I like it so much as a summer tarp that I've been resisting. Probably gonna get a Spinn or Cuben for winter, with doors.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I'm new to my blackbird, but it fits really nicely under my MacCat Deluxe. Actually, I was surprised at how much tarp I had past the ends of the hammock. I guess my DIY hammock is really long.
    I have one set of Grizz Beaks. In my area, the breeze can shift from NW to SE (an example) overnight and I like having the option of moving the beak to the other end if the wind shifts too much.
    I, like JustJeff, really like the MacCat as a warm-weather tarp so I am reluctant to put permanent doors on it.
    -Liz -

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thumbs up less is more

Quote Originally Posted by GADGETEER View Post
    Bigger is not better when a heavier weight is involved. But why wouldn't you go with a Big Mamajamba Spinn thats 11' x 9.75' for a weight of only 11 ounces over a JRB 8 x 8@ 9.4?
    I prefer a tarp that is no more than is needed. Sometimes tree limbs and underbrush make a large tarp unsuited for the job. The single stake simplicity of the JRB 8'X8' makes it my go to tarp.

There are many excesses in my life. I often am the only occupant of my SUV. But it is nice to have a tool matched to the job. Enough without the excess.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    not sure yet
    sounds like im going to want a couple of different tarps for different rason,,,, so be it ,,,,

i know its a lot of money but i like to have many options

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    As most folks on HF know, there is no "one size fits all" answer to anything hammock related. Some folks subscribe to the thought that less is more while others prefer a larger tarp for extra coverage. Personally, I have 3 tarps: a Speer Winter Tarp, a Speer 8x10 and a MacCat Deluxe. I use all three tarps at one time or another throughout the year and like them all for different reasons. My all-around, go-to tarp is the SWT, but I tend to use the smaller tarps more frequently in warmer months. No matter what tarp you choose, just be sure it works for you, because that's who is going to be cold and/or wet if it doesn't.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    MLD UL
    Insulation
    3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Undecided
    I decided to go for 2 tarps.

My first tarp will be the one I plan on using the most.
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=149
    Very light and minimalistic for the fair weather trips where I wont even break the tarp out unless I feel the night will be iffy.

My second tarp will be a full winter tarp for those trips where I cant trust the weather or just want to be well covered.

Best of both worlds with no compromises.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12