Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    i can vouch for the major infestation benefits of bottom entry. you just dont get anything following you in! mosquitoes are attracted to co2 and will happily follow you in through a side closure system, however if you duck down and then head up quick they get confused and cant join the dots.

i have been thinking about a size zip mod, but unfortunately for me i live in the UK, so id have to visit the US to get id done i think. postage is just too much.

i dont think taking a piss is a good reason to get a side zip.... use a wide mouth nalgene or even a mineral water bottle and you dont have to get out at all...... im not getting out with malaria infected mosquitoes at 2am! keep a couple of plastic bottles in there. do your stuff and then drop it out the bottom so it doesnt add any weight in weird places and then deal with it in the morning! this also means you dont have to worry about getting on and off the pad and getting stressed out getting into your sleeping bag again.

as for the bottom entry leg issue. have you guys got the right length hammock and do you lie in it as they suggest? if you have your feet right into one corner and your head right into the other, your legs shouldnt go over the top of the opening. this also means you are completely flat. im 6ft and only had it touch the back of my legs once and that was when i had it slung between the uprights of a bornean long house and they were really too close together..,...

Hammock
    Eno ProNest
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Ridgerest/ Bag
    Suspension
    Custom Straps
    Images
    I have an HH and overall the b-e works well for me. I only have one complaint, though. When I'm inside and I need to exit, the incredibly loud sound of that military-grade velcro tearing open is annoying. One time, I was camping with my wife (she was in a tent nearby), I had to exit to get something from the car. That obnoxious tearing sound made her scream - she thought a tree was coming down on top of her. Poor thing...
    "City Life is the scary life, inane, tiny and alone. Learn wilderness and you don't fear anything." - Terry Russell.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    That obnoxious tearing sound made her scream - she thought a tree was coming down on top of her. Poor thing...
    too funny!
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Whatever one I'm laying in.
    Tarp
    Old tent fly
    Insulation
    Self inflating pad
    Suspension
    Trees
    Mtncpr Thanks For The Lead On Heavens Above. Love That Site.

Treking Nut Go Buy A 100 Inch Zipper. Any Seamstress Can Install It For You.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Downy goodness
    Suspension
    webbing
    I agree that the velcro is a bit much. I would like to see Omni tape used there instead. Would stop snagging my Cap 2 top. But I'm quite happy with the bottom entry overall.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by DFL View Post
    Mtncpr Thanks For The Lead On Heavens Above. Love That Site.

Treking Nut Go Buy A 100 Inch Zipper. Any Seamstress Can Install It For You.

DFL

Glad you checked it out! Yeah it's a great site don'tcha think?? When I go hanging, I usually try to find the location and input it to the site to see what's happening up in the sky. Best viewing from the hammock without a tarp of course.
    I really like the Iridium Flares during the daylight hours too. (Good way to amaze the friends )
    If the timing and location line up, it's always cool to see the Space Station go by overhead.

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Two problems with HH bottom entry as I see it.

ANd I have a HH Esp Asym.

1. The MIL-Spec Velcro has pulled snags in a lightweight Mountain Hardware polyester shirt. I am not fashion-conscious, but it bothers me.

2. Once when I was dehydrated (yes, preventable and my fault) I awoke at 0200 with a leag cramp. Nothing to push against in the hammock and wouldn't you know it the Velcro had mated PERFECTLY when I entered, making it nearly impossible to pop it open with my heel. I was in agony for what seemed to be five minutes (probably one) but I am going to get the zipper mod this winter!

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123