HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

Bottom Entry Benefit(s)

For those of us that have a bottom-entry (b-e) HH that has been modified with a top-entry (t-e) (assuming it is a 2QZQ #2 or #3, of course ) mod, I wonder what different folks think about the bottom-entry after a top-entry mod. (I’ve yet to use my setup enough times to figure out if I want to send it back to 2QZQ to have the b-e sewn together.)

In your opinion…

· Is the b-e still beneficial to you, and why?
    · Do you still at times use the b-e, and if so what are the determining factors to do so?
    · If you had the hook/loop closure sewn together, or had the hook/loop closure removed and then the b-e sewn together, do you ever wish you hadn’t, and why?

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Thermarest

bottom entry

I did the zipper mod this past winter - great job!. Used it for first time last weekend. Used both entries, still like the b-e for that nature call in the dark. Don't want it sewed up, might regret it. Used the zipper mod to load pad, pillow, bag. Much faster and easier - same for clean up on Sun morning. Liked the mod & glad I had it done. Might try using side entry during next hang.

Images
    I don't have the zip mod, but I do have 2 net free HHs, a Safari and my UL Explorer which I cut the net off. ( Sometimes I wish I got the zip mod instead).

I have never used the bottom entry on either. But, I have not yet actually taken either on a backpacking trip. One place where I did appreciate the bottom entry was when the underside of my tarp was soaked with dew/condensation or frost in the winter, with the tarp pitched narrow for storms. I have often found it difficult to get into the hammock without brushing the wet tarp with either my head or back. It is MUCH easier to avoid this with the bottom entry.

And related to that: use of a small tarp ( like the stock HH tarp) with the HH Super Shelter (SS), attached in the standard HH design rather than the trees(there are other problems from NOT attaching to trees). With the tarp sides pitched really low. and tight against the HH rideline, even with this tiny tarp the system is one of the most storm proof available. Laying in that system, the tarp will only be as high above you as the HH ridge line, and will be in contact with the SS sil-nylon under cover(UC) on the sides. The bottom of the hammock on the ends will still not be covered very well (IMO), but no problem, the SS/UC takes covers that. It is unlikely that any wind driven side ways rain will get past this small tarp system. But it would be very difficult to use with a side entry, without ending up with wet clothes from contact with the underside of the tarp. And it does not have to be rainy for the underside of the tarp to be wet. Condensation is all it takes.

On my HH Hyperlight I had 2QZQ remove the Velcro and sew it up and got the Mod #3, have not missed the bottom entry at all, I tried the bottom entry when I got it and it was ok but (now this is just me) every time I got out my TQ would come out with me and end up on the ground, not that big of a deal when it was dry out, but if the ground was soaking wet that would be a problem. Most don't have this problem but it happened quite a lot to me (not quite sure how?), in short, "LOVE THE MOD" and "DON'T MISS THE BOTTOM ENTRY". You can always have the mod done and try it out for a while and send it back to have them close up the bottom entry if you wish!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Two reasons I can think of:
    - Condensation on the tarp, as mentioned
    - Mobility issues. For some folks, it's difficult to get into and out of a side-entry hammock, especially if the sides are taut. Using the chair-height bottom entry is easier for them.

I don't have the zipper mod, but I compare the WBBB to the 2 HHs I have and find the BB's side entry more convenient not only when entering and exiting, but also when pitching and breaking camp. I can dump all my stuff into the hammock and pack up if I want to.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Bugs. If there are a lot of them around, you are much less likely to have them in your hammock when using the bottom entry. I hang a light on the ridgeline that will attract the bugs to the top while I slip in from the bottom. However, I use my zipper mod whenever this is not a factor.

The mod is definitely a huge improvement and HIGHLY recommended!
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Two reasons I can think of:
    - Condensation on the tarp, as mentioned
    - Mobility issues. For some folks, it's difficult to get into and out of a side-entry hammock, especially if the sides are taut. Using the chair-height bottom entry is easier for them.
    Related to that: ONE time I flipped over on my back (ouch) on entering my Speer with Pea Pod.

I had got up in the middle of the night. Going back to bed still half asleep, I guess I grabbed the pod edges rather than the hammock, and over I went as I sat down. Thankfully, there were no rocks or roots. I think there is almost no chance of this with the HH bottom entry. In fact, the first time I ever used it- also at 22*F- I ended up waking up in the net after mucho acrobatics trying to get zipped up in my mummy bag. But even then, I did not end up on the ground. Of course, for most folks, they are just more careful when getting in their top loaders!

Quote Originally Posted by bdpalace View Post
    Bugs. If there are a lot of them around, you are much less likely to have them in your hammock when using the bottom entry. I hang a light on the ridgeline that will attract the bugs to the top while I slip in from the bottom.
    Hey, GOOD idea! I had not thought of that!

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    I didn't modify the bottom entry slit but I don't use it indoors anymore, at all.

Outdoors it has been useful a few time twice for bugs, or for when i have to pitch the tarp closer to the hammock or when hanging in awkward terrain and side entry becomes more uncomfortable than bottom entry. So I think its not that bad to keep after moding.

Have a non modified HH i still use and i luv it, specially in cool weather where bottom insulation isn't a problem for me. I have come to find i feel more comfortable getting out of the hammock thru the bottom entry, but this is only if i have no bottom insulation to worry about.
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 04-22-2010 at 10:50.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post
    -Is the b-e still beneficial to you, and why?
    -Do you still at times use the b-e, and if so what are the determining factors to do so?
    -If you had the hook/loop closure sewn together, or had the hook/loop closure removed and then the b-e sewn together, do you ever wish you hadn’t, and why?
    Most of the time I'll enter from the top but the b-e provides the most bug-free method of entry. It's also good if the ground is very wet and I don't want to risk having my pillow or top quilt falling off when I need to water the plants in the middle of the night. Also, like JustJeff wrote, it's a good way to enter when there's condensation on the bottom of the tarp.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Suspension
    whoopi
    I am very interested in a top entry option. Is that a DIY option? Has anyone done that?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast