HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by yeselijah View Post
    I am very interested in a top entry option. Is that a DIY option? Has anyone done that?
    It can be done based on your skill level with a thread injector ... but if that's what you want ... I'd strongly reccmd going with one of the Mods offered by 2Q & ZQ. You'll love the work they do.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Don't use the Hennessy anymore, but it is the easiest hammock for entry/exit with bug netting - no zippers, and the Velcro closes automatically by itself. Just get in or out and do not be concerned with closing up the bug netting zipper or Velcro.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    I've always liked the BE due to it's effectivness at keeping bugs out. It's quick, it's easy and even getting in the hammock with a pad and bag in there has never really been a hassle to me.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm a big fan of the Hennessy entry, but I still plan to get a 2QZQ mod 3 done.
    If I could make one other change it would be to replace the Velcro with Omnitape since I've snagged quilts on the hook side Velcro too often when loading and unloading the hammock.
    Overall I like the bottom entry for the ability to set my tarp tight to the hammock in bad weather and not get any condensation contact when getting in and out, and the bug proof-ness of the design is great.

-Mike

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm gearing up for a canoe-camping trip in a week, and am bringing the HH along, for the bug protection...I like getting in and having the opening seal up beneath me with no muss/fuss...

+1 to being able to string the tarp tighter and closer to the hammock also...

Jamie - nfa

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    I like bottom entry in theory, but in practice (at least on HH) the seam gives me too much discomfort as it presses against my legs.

It's significantly reinforced and doesn't stretch like the surrounding fabric. I imagine one could make a more comfortable implementation though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Skye View Post
    I like bottom entry in theory, but in practice (at least on HH) the seam gives me too much discomfort as it presses against my legs.

It's significantly reinforced and doesn't stretch like the surrounding fabric. I imagine one could make a more comfortable implementation though.
    I have always had this problem, to a greater or lessor degree- with all hammocks except the JRB bridge, and the HH Safari.

But after removing the net on my HH UL Explorer, I have found yet another new trick. I get in on the right side above the foot end pull out. When I sit down during side/top entry, I pull the hammock edge just barely to my knees and push the remaining fabric away from me, smoothing it out with the other hand as I sit down. IOW, once I lay down, I am significantly more to the right side of the hammock than the left. When I lay down lateral and put my head left, my upper body is left of center and my butt and legs are right of center. Naturally, legs are normally always right of center. Butt is normally about center with bottom entry. But with entire lower body a bit right of the bottom entry, it puts my lower legs far enough away from the center ridge so as to negate virtually all leg pressure, after a little positioning for the sweet spot.

I had originally realized the benefit of being right of center with the Safari. It is so darn big that, with it's top entry ( it is a No Net) I just naturally fell in a slot to the right, and had no leg pressure at all. But now having discovered this with my Explorer after removing the net, it now moves near the top of the list for lack of leg pressure, right behind the Safari and of course the bridge. Yay old faithful!

I am experimenting with variations of this technique with other hammocks, but no luck so far.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

Thanks for that thought BB58, I too try to keep my lower body more right of center and can tell the difference. My biggest problem though, is I don't stay there long! I get on my side, stomach/side, upper body to the right/lower to the left... well, you get the idea.

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    eno, hennessy hammock
    Insulation
    therm-a-rest pad
    i noiticed if i pull up a little bit above the entry my butt flattens it out but sleep half on my side so it doesnt really bother me. i do sleep better in my eno
    i like that the entry slit hold the mat in place i noticed that it moves alot more in my eno.also bottom entry is much eaiser drunk

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by yeselijah View Post
    I am very interested in a top entry option. Is that a DIY option? Has anyone done that?
    You can certainly do it yourself, but there's now a small company that does a fine job, I've heard. It's called 2QZQ (www.2qzqhammockhanger.com).

I think I'm going to give it a try. I have a HH Backpacker Ultralight and a Hyperlite as well. I think I'll send the Ultralight for the zipper modification and sew up the velcro entrance. I'll leave the Hyperlite as is because I like the ounce savings (the zipper would add a 3.5 oz weight).

Good luck with yours,

R

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast