Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDen View Post
    WV I bought one of those cutting wheels with a 16" long self healing mat to trim the selvage. I used a long straight edge and a fine line sharpie to define the cut and used the grid on the mat to follow my cut. The cutting wheel cut clean thru the material on the first pass and it made a clean line.
    That's nice to know. The soldering iron technique is more of an advantage with fabrics that might fray. I get very nervous when I bring a hot soldering iron within 3 feet of expensive cuben.

By the way, I feel bad about hijacking mountainfitter's thread about his new tarp (which I'd like to hear more about soon), so I propose a new thread on cuben fabrication tips. I've got some ideas about less expensive ways of getting into this stuff. Will try to get something started pretty quick (code name: "Gorilla Tarp" ).

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

GorillaMan

WV

Please don't feel _____________ about MountainFitter's thread. It seems MF is running an "ad" for MF's products? And if you read, I ask for pricing with no answer.

I'm also thinking the Hammock Forum is all about helping DIY'ers ?

so................... ever onward with Cuben Gorilla Tarps ................

Hugs
    GM

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Actually, GramMan, we do try to keep threads on topic at HF. And we try to be respectful of each other by not hijacking each other's threads...so I respect WV's suggestion that a new thread is started that won't take away from MF's. MF has been contacted about his vendor status and is complying by our vendor guidelines.

Perhaps a PM to MF to make sure he saw your post, rather than publicly calling him out, would get you a quicker answer.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Hexalite
    Insulation
    InsuLite Foam
    Suspension
    TreeStrap/Whoopie
    GramMan,

I have always owned a business selling outdoor gear but I am new to making gear.. This was actually a DIY project that turned into a product.. I have not responded to pricing because I haven't disclosed one yet. I am trying to offer the tarp for as cheap as possible and would like to have some tarps instock before they go on sale..

WV and Just Jeff,

Thanks for being so considerate... I however do not care that the tread was hijacked especially since it can help out other DIY'ers.

All Others,

If you have a cuben make your own gear question please feel free to ask it on here or send me an email and I will help you the best I can.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainfitter View Post
    WV and Just Jeff,

Thanks for being so considerate... I however do not care that the tread was hijacked especially since it can help out other DIY'ers.
    True...but when those DIYers are searching the forum in the future, they'll skip over this thread b/c it doesn't appear to be on topic. Better to create a new thread on the topic of the new question. Folks often reference the thread, and even link to it, in the new thread so that they provide the context of the question.

But my main point was that, unlike many internet forums, we treat everyone respectfully on HF.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Hexalite
    Insulation
    InsuLite Foam
    Suspension
    TreeStrap/Whoopie
    Good point especially since Google indexes the forum and people use the forum topics as a resource..

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234