Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly

Hammock Newbie's First Post Here...

Hi all. I've been lurking here for a while and because of the information I've gathered here I am now a hammock camper. Very informative site and seems like a great community!

I just purchased my first hammock. I got a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe A Sym. I don't trust my knot tying skills so I wanted to keep the set up as knot free as possible. I bought some tree straps and Ulta Lite Cinch Buckle With Long Chain Link from Arrowhead Equipment.

I was able to get my hammock hung up pretty quickly and easily using that set up but now I don't know how to attach my rain fly. The Hennessy system was pretty slick and easy for adjustments. Can someone please explain to me how I should attach the rainfly to the webbing suspension system.

The other question I have is regarding the snake skins. Because of the size of the cinch buckles I had to attach the Snake Skins beneath where I believe the rainfly will be attached. This makes it impossible to use the snake skins to roll up the rainfly and hammock in one shot. Is that an issue, or is there an alternative?

Should I have bought Whoopee Slings? Despite Shug's great videos I didn't really understand the concept until I started playing hands on with my new hammock. Whoopee Slings now seem like an easier way to make adjustments.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome to HF!!

You don't want to attach the tarp to the hammock support. When you get in, the hammock sags a bit so the points where the tarp is connected to the supports gets closer together...and the tarp sags. Tarps are supposed to be tight...if they sag, they'll flap in the wind and splash water around when it's raining.

So tie your tarp directly to the tree. If it's gonna storm, where the tarp is tied to the tree should be lower than where the hammock is tied to the tree. This is pretty easy with a HH b/c the tarp can actually be laying on the ridgeline...bottom entry makes getting in easy, and the hammock will sag down a bit once you're inside so the tarp is no longer touching the hammock.

Check here for some pics:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    you probably want to keep your hammock separate from your tarp anyway, I'd hate to pack my wet tarp right next to my hammock, getting my bed wet!

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Thanks for the link Just Jeff. There's a lot of great ideas for me there.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There have been a lot of advancements since I've updated that page, so just get the basic ideas from it and then search here for the new details. This place is full of brainiacs much smarter than me!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Sabrosa, Welcome to the Forum If you don't think the buckles will work for you and want to switch out to another system send me a PM and we can work out something.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Thanks for the offer pgibson. I'm new to this and I have no idea what I want or what will work for me so I think I'll stick with this set up for a while.

I'm packing up my kayak right now for an overnighter out in the Gulf tomorrow night. This will be my first night ever in a hammock. I'm leaving my tent and sleeping pad at home leaving no room for error. I hope this goes well!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Take something for under insulation Even with the nice warm gulf weather it is easy to get a chill. And let me know if you have any suspension questions at all. Have Fun!
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Best thing to do is what Jeff suggested, the suspension you got from Paul at AHE is great stuff, good choice! What you can do is use your snake skins for just your tarp, thats what most here do, then you can use just a stuff sack for your hammock, "OR" you can get one of Paul's hammock bags, Adia and myself have his first version and they are great, real easy to use, and very well made, you can check out Shugs videos it's all in the 10 or so of them! Oh yea, Welcome to HF!

• + New Posts