Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images

With IX

With IX does anybody besides me find issues as far as breathabilty of the IX fabric in TQ applications. I had fabbed up a TQ with a 1.1 ripstop outter layer, two layers of IX from knee height down to the footbox, single layer from knee height up to chin height and an inner layer of fleece, drawstring with draftcollar at the top. The TQ is too hot to use above 35f . Seems too clammy above 35f Maybe need to redo TQ with removable layers? (+fleece is too much weight) Maybe inner layer of ripstop with climashield instead of fleece? Have read on site some where, if warmer on bottom beneath, less TQ insulation is needed? Input anybody? What was posted awhile back about using plastic bags over your legs as back up insulation (maybe)? Referencing something about evaporatve cooling as far as checking it? Seems insultex is great for on bottom but, maybe holds too much moisture in, maybe need a way to vent on top? Going back to when I used to be a ground dweller and using a -10f bag at 20f would sleep in only a Tee shirt and soxes with the bag footbox unzipped and the top unzipped. But prefer to wear more clothing (sweat pants, T shirt, fleece jacket w/ hood) when cooler weather camping in order to make the late night watering the trees ritual more bearable since sleeping in a hammock.

Images
    Maybe someone with more ix experience will chime in soon. Could it be it is just to warm, fleece plus 1 layer of ix?

We (wife and I) sat around inside with a layer over each of us. Seemed ok, not clammy during that short test.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-23-2010 at 16:28.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have a TQ that's (outside to in):
    ripstop
    1/2" batting
    Insul-brite
    Fleece

The fleece adds an amazing amount of warmth, but at that weight penalty. I now have some IX, so I'll either rip that TQ apart, or give it to one of the kids.. There's some debate on the vapor-transfer speed of IX, and the current consensus is that it's not a vapor barrier, but vapor travels slowly... some sweating will result in that clammy feel...

Solution? don't know... I guess it's make the TQ not so warm...

If you're wearing clothing, I've slept down to the mid 40's with nothing more than a fleece blanket if I dress warm... I've also used my 20 degree synth bag as a TQ wearing shorts and a t-shirt. ( I pinned the zipper in place to make the foot/leg box)

Let us know how it works out! I'm planning an IX TQ...

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    O.K. Maybe the thought process in getting to the point should be. (I ought to make a modular TQ that the layers could be pushed down or pulled up to readily adapt to variable temperature swings). Or removable layers? Or with a venting system? Sounds like another D.I.Y. project. Better call Mac for another IX bundle. Will keep the exsisting TQ as is for cold weather camping. Will definitely skip the inner fleece. I'm still thinking ripstop outter, IX as before, Climashield, ripstop inner. Maybe velcro sides to keep IX layers capable as being pushed down and away from climashield layers? O'well nough think'in out loud.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    I made one with 1 layer of insultex encased in 1.1 ripstop. Kept me warm in the 40's. Was wearing a long sleeve t, pants, socks, stocking cap. I wasn't clammy.

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Got a 3 layer Insultex TQ that I have used up to 45 F to 50 F, no problem. Lots of venting.

You write that you are using 1.1 ripstop. Is the ripstop coated?

I use uncoated 1.1 ripstop because I want as much breath-ability as I can get with 3 layers of Insultex and with Insultex, the coating is redundant and superfluous.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

I use a 2 layer IX TQ -just plain -never had a problem with moisture

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I was thinking: the scrim on the IX seems durable enough... Do we really need an inner liner?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Do we really need an inner liner?
    I don't think so... what will you line it with that feels better without adding significant weight?

Newzy, sounds like you were too hot. I have only used raw IX as a TQ. It works well, and is easy to ventilate.

This being the warm season, I am experimenting with TQs that are IX only, in single layers that can nest. When I get caught up, I will make a TQ that is shaped, not as dramatically as the IX UQs, but cupped around the edges so that it can drape over you like a shell. That way you won't need to wrap it tight around yourself.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts