Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreening View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a new NX-250 last night. Now the waiting game. Anyone in the market for a used North American?
    Congratulations! You won't be sorry.

Miguel

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    I've been a "Happy" hammock "Camper" since I bought my NX-250. I still read the threads on modifying or adding to hammocks/tarps... but haven't really seen the need to do any substantial mods to my Clark. Haven't ordered their underquilt system yet but I'll do so before this coming fall (this winter I played with various pads, quilts, etc. to see what worked or didn't).

I agree that Clarks are rather expensive initially but when you factor in what others have added, modified, etc to their initial hammock the cost factor quickly becomes moot...
    KJ

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I loved my NX-200... but it was a tad heavy and I needed some money, so I sold it and bought a hammock that cost roughly 1/3 the price, and weighed half as much.
    Admittedly, I don't like my new hammock as much as I liked the Clark. Yes, I have seller's remorse.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    I loved my NX-200... but it was a tad heavy and I needed some money, so I sold it and bought a hammock that cost roughly 1/3 the price, and weighed half as much.
    Admittedly, I don't like my new hammock as much as I liked the Clark. Yes, I have seller's remorse.

They are a bit on the heavy side, but probably not that much when you start considering the features. A built in bug screen. Built in storm shield which as far as I can tell is a BIG plus when it comes to heat retention. Built in gear loft (the outside pockets) though it is an external loft, and the tarp. I'm sure there are some weight savings to be had via suspension changes and what-not but probably not that much. You could probably gain some more by dropping the tarp option and buying after market but I don't know that the cost/weight savings ratio is worth it.

I'm all for weight reduction if you have to hump your stuff, but only to a point when it comes to comfort. I see it like this. If the load is a bit heavy I can always slow down or take a break. If I can't SLEEP, there is no slowing down, no break to take, no energy bar etc that is going to take the place of a nice solid X hours of good sleep.

It appears to me that all too often the ultra-light concept is more about bragging rights of the smallest pack weight than good sense.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreening View Post

It appears to me that all too often the ultra-light concept is more about bragging rights of the smallest pack weight than good sense.
    And sometimes is it just to facilitate bragging rights about how far and how fast one traversed a trail. I know some people who should carry extra weight just to force them to slow down and enjoy the trail rather than racing over it.

But that aside, the Clark would be much improved in my opinion if the bug net and weather shield were fully zippered and removal. Except for some chilly days in early summer, I never need both. In late summer and early fall I don't need either. It would be nice to have the option of leaving one or both at home.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB quilt
    Suspension
    rings & straps
    I totally agree with the fact that a good night sleep outweighs the weight you may be carrying. I started my thru-hike march 18 and have been so happ to b carrying my Clark. I've had a handful of bad nights of sleep they were in shelters and hotels, I'm always more than ready and happy to hang my hammock. As for mods I've switched to straps and beaners and my tarp is a Speer winter tarp and the extra options have easily overridden any added weight. I'll agree that the cost seems high but I also concur that once you added the extra options such as a gear loft and weather shield and tarp which is not standard with every hammock, the expense is a wash for sure.
    Happy hanging everyone!!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

But that aside, the Clark would be much improved in my opinion if the bug net and weather shield were fully zippered and removal. Except for some chilly days in early summer, I never need both. In late summer and early fall I don't need either. It would be nice to have the option of leaving one or both at home.
    that probably depends on the area you're camping in. I'm camping year round on the North Carolina coast and I've run into quite a variety of different weather. Some on the same night!!! I go to sleep with things unzipped and wake up later needing to add my weathershield. So far I've never been able to have the netting unzipped!! To many different kinds of insects all through the year. I can unzip during the day but never at night. I flat out love my Tropical. I like that I can open the head end but still have netting. The rest of you guys with the other types of Clarks, can't do that. If I could have ordered with 2 less pockets I would have. I've got 4 pockets but I really don't use them much, 2 are enough. That's the only change I'd make to my hammock.

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hello All. Weighing my options. Currently transitioning from Ground Tarp and Tent Backpacking to Hanging. Thought about DIY, but by the time I get the Sewing machine material, Suspension, bug net and run around fuel, time I'll be in the Hennesy cost range or higher. My Philosophy is if your going to spend the $$, get Quality, Dependability, Experience and American. So now I'm thinking Clark NA. Can any of you with Clarks let me know if I would need to be concerned about setting sag into the hang as to lay flat(diag)?

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    There is a definite sweet spot in terms of hanging position. I have an NX250 and find that position is when the foot (tree strap) is set about 5 inches higher than the head, and when the hammock is unnoccupied with the storm shelter shut, there is a very small amount of sag in it. That way I sleep almost flat but dont slip down at all.

I like to have a pillow and recently did a trip where I carried one which was quite bulky so have ordered a bear pillow from arrowhead with a strap to connect to the hand pull handle at the head end. I found it a pain when each time I sat up to make a brew etc, the pillow slipped down my back and needed re-positioning to lie down again.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Gnome77:
    If you would like to try a NX-200 and see what they hang like I wll be out on Mt. Cheaha outside of Oxford/Anniston AL. I will be there on Saturday afternoon with a buddy who wants to try a hammock, he is almost a convert.......just a little more persuasion. Send me a PM and I will let you know where we will be, it is just an overnighter to decompress from the work week.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast