Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images

another invention idea

So all of this talk about hammock pads in another thread got me thinking. Has anyone ever thought about putting adjustable shock cord in a criss/cross pattern on the underside of your HH? Then, adding (probably a custom-made) hammock pad that can slide in there, that when you tighten the shockcord, it pulls the pad up and hugs you when you lay down inside the hammock, but you aren't having to lay on the pad? (see pic for better explanation)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just like a two-layer hammock, only heavier. (Haven't done the math, but I bet that much shockcord would weigh more than another layer of 1.1 oz DWR)

Risk's ZHammock
    My Two Layer Hammock that I basically copied from his design.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I'm gonna have to make me one of those 2-layer hammocks. That's nice.

I am getting ready to order some silk to make a hammock with. I am thinking silk on the inside and silnylon for an other shell.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I'm gonna have to make me one of those 2-layer hammocks. That's nice.

I am getting ready to order some silk to make a hammock with. I am thinking silk on the inside and silnylon for an other shell.

Let us know how the silk one comes out. I saw that on Garlington's website and the yahoo group. I am not sure, but having the second layer sil-nlyon may not be as comfortable as having 2 silk layers when you do not need the pad. The sil-nylon is also not going to breath in the summer causing condensation issues. Regular ripstop may be a better choice or a second silk layer.
    Last edited by Coffee; 10-31-2006 at 18:09.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    15 feet of 1/8 shock cord = 1 oz. 12' is enough to hold a full sized pad to the bottom of a hennessy if you put tabs on the pad and the hennessy. But, the pad will not conform to your body. lets a lot of drafts thru between the pad and the hammock. a 1/8" thick pad works pretty good though.

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Just like a two-layer hammock, only heavier. (Haven't done the math, but I bet that much shockcord would weigh more than another layer of 1.1 oz DWR)

Risk's ZHammock
    My Two Layer Hammock that I basically copied from his design.
    Actually, your design was exactly what I was thinking at first. ****..always a day late and a dollar short! Will your design only work on a Speer? Have you figured out a way to make that work w/a HH? Maybe I can make my claim to fame by figuring that out instead! haa haa
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I don't think that I will sew the silk to another material. I am going to make a silnylon hammock and I already have a DWR ripstop nylon hammock. I figure I can whip 2 hammocks together as the situation dictates: silk + silnylon for wet weather and I can use a pad, silk + DWR ripstop for times I want to use a pad in colder weather, and the silk hammock alone for summer conditions.

I really want a silk hammock. Just the thought of lying in a bed of silk makes me want to take a nap.

I still want to make Zhammock. Another item for the growing DIY list.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A hammock is 4+ feet across. Let's say you only run the shockcord 3' across for a coverage of 36" a the shoulders. 15' means you can cross the hammock in five places, even w/o an angle of criss-crossing. Doubt you could do it w/ 15'. I'd be interested in pics if anyone makes a prototype, though.

Re: the silnylon, someone on Yahoo made a silnylon hammock for winter. When breathability was brought up, he said that he's sleeping on a pad anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue. IIRC, he said it worked pretty well.

The biggest concern I'd have is that it's waterproof. If water happens to leak inside the hammock, it won't drip soak thru or drip out. You'll have a bathtub.

Personally, if I were gonna spend the money on silk, I'd use breathable insulation or use it in summer only, where the breathability would excel. If I were making a hammock to use with a pad, I wouldn't spend the money on silk. Of course, if you just make a silk hammock for summer use you can always add the pad in cooler temps. Just me though - I'm certainly not trying to discourage you from experimenting!!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    You could use some nylon fishing net. That weighs approximately 'bugger all', as we say in the mother tongue.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Michele - never thought about trying it on a HH. I guess if you just sew it around the perimeter just below the bugnet, and along the slit behind the velcro, it might work. A wide pad might keep the slit from closing...have to experiment with that. Or better yet, just have the second layer overlap itself so it has its own slit and doesn't impact the HH slit. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

headchange - that sounds like a good plan. If you whip it tightly enough, it'll probably hold the pad tight enough against the silk layer to prevent air gaps at the pad's buckles. And if not, a few buttons on the sil layer with accompanying buttonholes on the silk layer might take care of it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast