Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    closed cell foam
    Suspension
    webbing

Lightbulb Bottom Warmth

A picture is worth more than words - I hope my pictures make what I did clear --

In reviewing with Kaliram, my brother, his space blanket, big agnes, and close cell foam pad configuration posted elsewhere on this site (search Kaliram's posting), we came up with a design, lighter for backpackers, less bulky, and very adaptable - one can use closed cell foam wings with both, either, or with out the anges pad, closed cell pad, or space blanket.

The 1" elastic between the wings allows for easy insertion of pad or pads and doubles as a packing strap. I put lots of grommets on the space blanket to lace it up over the bag (allowing some opening for condensation to escape and to regulate how much of a cocoon I needed to be warm. NOTE the wing at the bottom of the pad to help create a warm foot box.

All in all, this was easy to create and inexpensive, except for the Agnes pad. Most of the supplies are from the hardware store or Walmart.

And...this could be used without the hammock on the snow or ground if there are no trees about and you only have a hammock with you.

Enjoy.
    And if you want to hang in NW Montana, please give me a jingle.
    Lindy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool. I have a similar idea to combine CCF in segments (Think around 1 foot by 1.5 foot diamond shapes) layered with some thin insulation for the gaps to create a more flexible and hopefully more comfortable, shape-conforming CCF bottom insulation. Still in the planning stage on that one, though. Looks great and adaptable.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    closed cell foam
    Suspension
    webbing

your idea

I hope you post your idea with pictures when you work through the details. I am curious to see what you mean by diamond shapes and how they would fit together.

Hammock
    Home Made
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10 Tan
    Insulation
    working on a UQ
    Suspension
    switch to whoopie
    Hmmm Great Idea Montana Mtn mama Thanks for a idea

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mtn Mama View Post
    A picture is worth more than words - I hope my pictures make what I did clear --

In reviewing with Kaliram, my brother, his space blanket, big agnes, and close cell foam pad configuration posted elsewhere on this site (search Kaliram's posting), we came up with a design, lighter for backpackers, less bulky, and very adaptable - one can use closed cell foam wings with both, either, or with out the anges pad, closed cell pad, or space blanket.

The 1" elastic between the wings allows for easy insertion of pad or pads and doubles as a packing strap. I put lots of grommets on the space blanket to lace it up over the bag (allowing some opening for condensation to escape and to regulate how much of a cocoon I needed to be warm. NOTE the wing at the bottom of the pad to help create a warm foot box.

All in all, this was easy to create and inexpensive, except for the Agnes pad. Most of the supplies are from the hardware store or Walmart.

And...this could be used without the hammock on the snow or ground if there are no trees about and you only have a hammock with you.

Enjoy.
    And if you want to hang in NW Montana, please give me a jingle.
    Lindy
    Looks good. My DIY SPE is somewhere between yours and the Speer version. I made the top and sleeves from ripstop and the bottom is just elastic. The elastic will let me use a single ccf up to 5" of stacked pads in the middle. I got lazy with the wings. Instead of making four, I just made two long ones.

That rig will take you as low as you want to stuff it.

Hey! Welcome to the forum, Montana Mtn Mama!! I'm just down the road near Potomac. Nice area, isn't it?

FB

• + New Posts