Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Hey All!

Newly converted hanger here (thanks Shug). I just finished building one of these stands and although it's been a while since someone's posted on this thread, I thought I'd share the final product as well as a couple ideas that may help those who have built this particular hammock stand and are having issues OR those who have considered building it and are hesitant. My two main concerns with this stand were whether the poles would hold my weight (5'7", about 240 pounds) and whether the 4x4 would split from the stress. I wouldn't blame it, either.
    Anyway, there aren't many trees in my immediate area so having this would my life much more enjoyable AND in case my friends decide to camp somewhere without trees nearby, I wanted something I could take with me to make it possible to hang. Now, my first go around with the hammock stand involved cutting the 4x4 in half and placing a hinge on the bottom so I could fold it up and fit in my tiny car. The hinge failed miserably. Too much weight and pull from the poles caused the arms of the hinge to bend and eventually the pin fell out and left me laying on the ground frustrated. Today, I installed a couple brackets in place of the hinge along with a few 5" bolts and wing nuts for easy assembly (see picture). This has helped immensely and is proving to be a viable option for transporting this setup. Also, the 4x4 has begun to show signs of splitting so to counter this, I have installed a hose clamp on each side of each of the poles (see picture). I'm hoping that the support provided by the clamps help keep the wood from splitting further. Only time will tell. Thanks again for the idea and I hope I've been helpful.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    If you wanted to hinge it, but keep the rigidity of the 4" size you could have put a latch/pin setup opposite the hinge. This would allow you to pull the pin to fold it but when open the pin would work with the hinge to support the stress.

Hmm. I considered that but wasn't too confident in another hinge after the previous one. Thanks for the tip! I might be building another one soon With a friend and I'll definitely explore that option on the next project.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    So have we decided on a good angle? I went looking for supplies to build this yesterday, and saw a bundle of 4x6's and thought that might help with the splitting, especially in addition to the hose clamps. So if 45* isnt right, how about 50*? Maybe 55*? I nabbed one of the trianglesquares and took it to the 4x6 and eyeballed the cuts and it seems like the 50* would provide the best umph and a good angle for 6'x1 1/2" rgs to hang a hammock from. I was thinking that if i were to cut the corner off at said correct angle, maybe just a small enough chunk to make that surface to be drilled flat, i would have a much easier time. I Was also thinking that if i drilled out a bolt hole both below and above the bored hole for the pole and placed big bolts tighten down with large washers it would physically be unable to split. This would obviously be a much more involved (and expensive) project, but also much more permanent and lasting. I dont possess the tools to cut the angle on the 4x6 and/or the rgs, but i do possess the know how to do all of these things. Just building in my mind, like some windowshop, please put in some $0.02 so that we can make this work.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3mX3m
    Insulation
    DD Hammocks UQ
    Any problems with the tubing bending? I would be afraid of it letting go and dropping me on the 4x4.

Hammock
    WBBB/DutchHex1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40/20/0
    Suspension
    WhoopDutchHookTogg
    That thing is Boss Hoss!
    I have a suggestion/idea:
    Replace the 2x4's with 4x4's that lay flush on the ground w the main 4x4.
    Screw a 2x4 onto the 4x4 legs that attaches to the main 4x4 support with a long bolt washers and a wingnut.
    Utilize wingnut/washers when moving and adding stability during setup.
    “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    If one were to use rgs, above 1 1/4", i cannot forsee issues with bending. Go Up with diameter with additional weight above 200lbs. Dont ask a ratio, im just ballparking.
    Last edited by Theguywitheyebrows; 12-22-2015 at 08:07. Reason: Spelling, syntax
    J. Garcia
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    It'll have to wait til next weekend, but i've located proper equipment and garnered permission for its use to cut the proper angle off the corner of the 2x6; now if someone would just give me a good measurement so that i dont have to make mistakes and buy a new piece of timber everything would be grand. I'll be searching for agebraic calculator apps online for two weeks to see if i can just math it out. Dusting off skills i hated in high school.
    J. Garcia

Hammock
    Yukon Mosquito Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty 12'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I have been reviewing different stands and feel like this is the one I want to pursue. Yet, I want to find an effective way to have the 4x4 cut in half, but still be stable. Does anyone have experience with metal square tubes? My thought was I could take one of these, maybe 1-2 ft in length, and have the 4x4 ends meet in the middle of the tube and effectively stabilize without needing to worry about a hinge for the middle.

Does that make sense? The metal square tubes come in different thickness, any guesses how think the metal would need to be?

Hi yall. Do the poles have to be at an angle?
    Also suggestions for attaching directly to my subfloor would be apreciated.

I have no carpet and no tile and I own so short of drilling holes directly into my floor for the poles Im open to suggestions.

Oh and I dont have much experience building thmuch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast