Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Expedition w/Hex Tarp, Mod 3
    Insulation
    Potomac KAQ, MSS
    Suspension
    Stock
    Great, simple design. How about a large gate hinge on the BOTTOM of the 4x4, in the center? This would allow a fold up to five feet, matching the tubes, yet not weaken the 4x4, since the tension would be holding the hinge shut. How did you choose the angle for the tubes? What is the total distance between the eye bolts? (Sorry for the questions) Great post! Thanks for sharing the creative. Welcome to the group!

Hammock
    TTTM KING (short trips) GTN7 (Long)
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    S. Sniv & Hud R.
    Suspension
    SLS with woopies
    I tried making this stand tonight... It turns out that the pipe I have and the hole saws I have aren't very compatible. First hole was too big and gave the pole too much room to move around, and the second was too small and wouldn't accept the pipe. I'll try again later, but from what I saw tonight, the 4x4 has to be absolutely straight (which can be hard to find at a normal Home Depot), and the holes have to be perfect.

Just some observations.

~Leif
    "The nuclear generator of brain sludge is television." By Dave Barry

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    this is awesome. it follows right down my alley as design simplicity although i too am a it skeptical. regardless im am taking this to my backyard.

i like the hinge idea too, will be incorporating these as well as couple other things that have been mentioned here.

Welcome to HF.What a smart first post really like your instant creative input here.You could put a structural ridge line with whoopie adjustment each end of your hammock under your bug net etc.Then you can vary the level of sag/lay etc and keep your net up to.Thanks for sharing your nice stand with us all.

here is my no tree setup. i used 6ft poles n drovem in the ground bout foot

Quote Originally Posted by Leifo5343 View Post
    I tried making this stand tonight... It turns out that the pipe I have and the hole saws I have aren't very compatible. First hole was too big and gave the pole too much room to move around, and the second was too small and wouldn't accept the pipe. I'll try again later, but from what I saw tonight, the 4x4 has to be absolutely straight (which can be hard to find at a normal Home Depot), and the holes have to be perfect.

Just some observations.

~Leif
    You must use the same size drill bit as the pipe. I practiced drilling holes through some scrap pieces of 2x4 first. One you can drill straight through scrap and the pipe slides in smoothly, then try drilling an angle through the 4x4. Also remember to clamp a wedge shaped piece of wood to the 4x4 to start your angle. drilling a big hole at an angle can be tricky. It is always good to check wood for straightness before you buy it, but at the same time its a $25.00 stand and if the pipes are a little crooked from the wood nobody will notice. I got my 4x4 at the home depot next to my house, and picked it right off the top of the pile.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Poet View Post
    Great, simple design. How about a large gate hinge on the BOTTOM of the 4x4, in the center? This would allow a fold up to five feet, matching the tubes, yet not weaken the 4x4, since the tension would be holding the hinge shut. How did you choose the angle for the tubes? What is the total distance between the eye bolts? (Sorry for the questions) Great post! Thanks for sharing the creative. Welcome to the group!
    Honestly I tried to measure the appropriate angle, but ended up eyeballing it. The important part is to cut out a wedge about the size of a block of cheese. After you drill throught the wedge, you can clamp it to one at a time to the end of the 4x4 to duplicate the angle. After eyeballing the angle the distance between eyehooks just happen to come out almost exactly 12'6". Hope this helps.

P.S. I also found that if you are using a hole saw, after you drill as far as the holes saw bit will go, use a slightly smaller spade bit to clear out the center wood left behind, then go back to the hole saw, and repeat until you pop out the other side.
    Last edited by Black November; 04-27-2010 at 09:59.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black November View Post

Also drilling a large diameter hole at an angle can be difficult to get started. Try clamping a door wedge shaped piece of wood with the desired angle to the 4x4 and drill through it into the 4x4. After you are in the 4x4, remove the wedge and continue through the 4x4.
    You must use the same size drill bit as the pipe. I practiced drilling holes through some scrap pieces of 2x4 first. One you can drill straight through scrap and the pipe slides in smoothly, then try drilling an angle through the 4x4. Also remember to clamp a wedge shaped piece of wood to the 4x4 to start your angle. drilling a big hole at an angle can be tricky.

Honestly I tried to measure the appropriate angle, but ended up eyeballing it. The important part is to cut out a wedge about the size of a block of cheese. After you drill throught the wedge, you can clamp it to one end of the 4x4 and then the other to duplicate the angle. After eyeballing the angle the distance between eyehooks just happen to come out almost exactly 12'6". Hope this helps.
    Any pics available of the wedge? I think I'm with you, but a pic is worth....

Great stand and thread!

Original post udated with pics of wedge.

Images
    Original post udated with pics of wedge.
    Thanks, that clears up any questions!

Thank you for adding the pictures of the wedge with the "yes" and "no"'s.

I would have never gotten it without those.

Very visual learner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast