Blackbird First Impressions

It was getting late, and the sun was about to set. So set up my Blackbird, for its first hang. I slid the pad between the layers chucked my sleeping bag inside, hopped in and wrapped my self up in the sleeping bag. I thought wow, no pressure on the left calf like my Hennessy, but there's not much room too move my feet. Found the shelf took some serious stretching to reach..and then there was the bit of fabric in front of my face obscuring the view of the stars. But before i could even think about it..i was asleep.

Around 3ish am nature called. When i returned from taking care of business, i chuckled a bit, reached in and turned around my sleeping bag. Now my feet were actually in the foot box, instead of my head. The view of the stars was no longer obstructed by the bit of fabric, but that did not matter cause i drifted of to sleep in a few minutes again.

Yep. I found the Blackbird more comfortable backwards than my Hennassy expedition

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WBBMJ spinn
    Insulation
    Baby Orca
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings
    Hmm... Maybe I should give that a go some time...

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That in itself is a really good first impression, as the real reason to hang in a hammock in the first place is to sleep. Isn't it? If you're falling asleep that easily, can't be all bad.
    I've read lots of posts and articles on the Blackbird, and other hammocks. Looked at many photos & video's of them being setup, modded, played with. This impression, for me anyway is the real deal maker. Fast asleep wins my vote.

Me waiting for payday to pull the trigger on ordering a Blackbird from Brandon.

-Mark [islander]

Insulation
    warm stuff
    hhhmmmmm
    sounds awesome....
    Cranky Bear would be shocked and maybe a little jealous, but i think when i can gather the funds i will be getting the blackbird. then i can send my scout out for a zipper mod and migrate it down to one of the childrens....
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great post. Blackbirds are great hammocks. I woke up at 4am yesterday in pain from a groin strain of some kind. I couldn't get comfortable. I grabbed a blanket a laid in my BB and went right to sleep for a couple of hrs .
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

I should also add. On the return trip home, i did three short lazy day hikes. The Blackbird went with on each hike. It was no big deal to set it up on a couple of trees to use as a chair. In fact i took a mid day nap. I don't see any reason not to take this with me on any day hike. It weighs next to nothing, and just simple to set up.

If you get one..the webbing with biners is the way to go. I have found the stock Hennassy suspension\snake skins, while simple and effective to be time consuming and a pain. Tying knots in inclement with cold hands is just unpleasant.

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    With your head in the footbox that would make it hard to reach the shelf, Lol

I also was in a hurry to get my BB up and running in the dark and the cinch buckles kept slipping. Very embaressing, Glad no one saw me... Well I had strung them backwards and they really don't work well that way... Now as long as you thread the strapping straight down the middle and give a test yank, they hold reliably.

Love my WBBB!
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

• + New Posts