Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Great illustrations! One nitpick, though - I don't think asym tarps require you to sleep inline with the tarp...you just have to go on the diagonal to the side where the tarp has more coverage. But it's still diagonal, and not inline with the tarp's ridgeline. Maybe a better way to word it?
    Good observation. Yes, I'll re-word that. You mentioned what I was getting at, but the words got in the way.

Something like this?

"With an a-sym tarp, you need to sleep on the diagonal, for maximum coverage."

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Very nicely done. Might be good to add a reference to tarp door add on's like the Grizz Beaks ... just a thought.
    Thanks Hawk-eye!

I tried to be careful not to single out any manufacturer specifically, but I did mention in the short write-up that after-market doors are available:

"Some manufacturers sell "doors" as an optional add-on to common hex or cat-cut tarps."

I tried to make the illustration and write-up as basic as possible without focusing too much on one particular method or design. Just like hammocks, there are multiple ways to tie one up, and I covered a few for illustrative purposes.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Beautiful art.

I think you have given the full length ridge line short shrift though. You do mention slightly a full length, but the easiest method of using one using Prussics (either traditional or Penberthy) is not mentioned at all. Don't know how you would work in information though since the poster is pretty full as is.

I'm biased about the full length ridge line for tarps and so my rating got lowered even though I love the art work.

Ouch TeeDee Only a 3?

My other illustration about rigging tarps covers prusiks a little better, I think, but you're right that this illustration is purposly light when it comes to _rigging_ a tarp. My intent was to give a basic primer on the subject. Like hammocks, there are numerous ways to rig it up, and I didn't want to slight anyone by focusing too specifically. I do list a few options, including prusiks, more for illustration purposes.

It is hard to design something this concise and still cover all the possibilities without stepping into the "Advanced Tarp Techniques" realm.

I went to a Boy Scout advanced backcountry training where one instructor had rigged a sophisticated tarp that included a modular guyline system and a full-length ridgeline with built-in, automatic safety release points, in case of hurricane-force winds, so the tarp would collapse instead of ripping into threads. The whole group was in awe, including myself, on this complicated rigging. I took pictures, wrote notes, and to this day, I still have no idea how to duplicate the instructors technique.

This has nothing to do with your ridgeline suggestion, but I hope it helps clear up why I had to stop somewhere. A good illustration loses its ability to communicate a clear message when there are so many options that there are no options.

I want to use any suggestions to make this illustration stand on its own for some time and weather any trends in technique. Last year, woopie slings were unknown but to arborists, and now they are the new hammock fad. I don't think single ridgelines with prusiks will go away any time soon, but I hope the little nod I gave is enough to hint that there is more to learn on the subject of tarp rigging. This illustration is just a starting point, not the definitive guidebook.

Is that long-winded explanation enough to get a 5 rating?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    What? Nobody recognized Cannibal? And after all that work...

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Of course we did! But there is no room in your chart, so we can't run the risk of you needing to portray the head larger than at present!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Once again outstanding!

You never cease to amaze me my friend. That thing probably took you less than one night's work. It would have taken me..well, forever. Great work!!

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Looks Great! The only problem with the little Cannibal dude is that he only has one hammock
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Ouch TeeDee Only a 3?

As I said, I'm biased and think that the full length ridge line deserves more respect .

The art work is gorgeous and many times I have wished I had that kind of talent. But content is important also.

I printed out the graphic and it only fills slightly over half of an 8.5"x11" sheet. So that leaves a lot of room for expansion without clutter.

Heck at that rate you could even fill the bottom half of the page with a single graphic detailing the full length ridge line with Prussics My bias showing again
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    As I said, I'm biased and think that the full length ridge line deserves more respect .

The art work is gorgeous and many times I have wished I had that kind of talent. But content is important also.

I printed out the graphic and it only fills slightly over half of an 8.5"x11" sheet. So that leaves a lot of room for expansion without clutter.

Heck at that rate you could even fill the bottom half of the page with a single graphic detailing the full length ridge line with Prussics My bias showing again
    I seeeee

Well, actually, both images are scaled at 8.5x11 @ 300 DPI, but reduced for the web. I'm glad it is legible at half size, but the call-out fonts are at 10 pts, and appear even smaller when reduced on the web. Reducing any smaller would make the text illegible on the web, but probably suitable for print.

I can see that you're just going to be a grump and hard to please. That's okay; I've dealt with tougher clients in my line of work You're looking for more "meat" when I'm insisting that these illustrations are just "milk" -- granted, single-line ridgelines might seem like "milk" to most, but it's just another level of detail that does introduce too much bias; something I'm trying to avoid (artistic neutrality, see?).

Perhaps my next series of graphics will tackle more advanced topics and techniques, which may satisfy the bias in you -- perhaps. My next drawing will be to talk about insulation basics.

voodoo stick

You need to put high res versions of these on zazzle or one of the other sites and make yourself a few bucks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast