Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

disappointed with Claytor...recommendations please?

i hate to start off my postings here with a complaint, but hammocking season is here and i'm ready to roll...unfortunately, my hammock isn't and i could use a recommendation.

i ordered a clayton jungle hammock a few weeks ago...it wasn't until AFTER i had ordered and paid for it that Tom wrote to tell me he's climbing everest... (GREAT! that should make this process real easy!) 5 days later his people in thailand finally get my hammock into the mail after i wrote them THREE times to confirm that i wanted a CAMOUFLAGE jungle hammock...i wait another two weeks and A hammock arrives. a green one.

i can't get a hold of Tom, but his representative, who is now also ON VACATION for another couple of weeks responds to my email with: "are you sure you got the wrong hammock?" adding insult to injury, as though i'm some kind of idiot who isn't really sure what he ordered or what he wanted. then i'm told to send it back and she'll send me another one...great - so I HAVE TO PAY FOR INTERNATIONAL shipping to return this thing and have to wait for what? another 5-6 weeks for mine to get there and the replacement to be sent out? sorry, i don't have that kind of time nor do i wish to support this kind of "customer service." i'd rather just return it, get my refund and move on to a decent product, made in America, by people who care enough to actually read my order form and send what i ordered.

for the record, i've scanned the comments here and, between that and my limited experience with Tom Claytor, i'm sure he's a decent, honorable guy and that this horrible service does NOT reflect upon him personally... unfortunately, it looks as though i won't be able to reach him for quite some time (since he's climbing everest) and i don't want to be stuck in limbo, waiting for my refund or a replacement for perhaps months...i need a hammock NOW.

so anyway, can someone recommend a comparable hammock? i really was hoping for camouflage, but i'm willing to let that go in favor of GOOD SERVICE and reasonable shipping times and a comparable price ($150)...i also need a SIDE opening (have a hennessy, don't like the bottom opening.)

thanks in advance and sorry for the rant, but i had to get it off my chest. and if per chance this all gets resolved quickly and painlessly, i'll be happy to retract my complaint and write about the great service i got...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Since you already have a Hennessy, why not just get the Zipper mod? It is a lot cheaper then buying an entire new hammock, and it does improve the HH.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Get the zipper mod to the HH. 2Q & ZQ seem to be known for their exemplary customer service. Not sure what their turn around time is at this point. Or there are cottage industry builders who are members of the forum. Warbonnet Blackbird and the switchback seem to come to mind.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 04-26-2010 at 16:42. Reason: showed my ignorance.... :)
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Beyond a doubt ... send the HH to the fine folks at 2Q & ZQ for one of their mods ... I especially like the new MOD4 but any of them will make you happy. They do excellent work.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

sorry, i forgot to mention the most important thing, the reason i ordered the Claytor in the first place: i need a double bottom for inserting a pad.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Get in touch with Darby and smithobx at Tree to Tree Trail Gear.
    You want a double body switchback.

see this posting.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Get in touch with Darby and smithobx at Tree to Tree Trail Gear.
    You want a double body switchback.

see this posting.
    +1
    I really like my Switchback. Plan on taking it on my next trip.
    Trust nobody!

just wanted to let folks know that i got a hold of Tom Claytor and got things cleared up... Tom is indeed a very honorable guy and i hope that no one will assume from the experience in my initial posting that he is anything but...just a few misunderstandings that Tom was happy to resolve, once i finally got a hold of him...

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Sounds like you handles it the right way and got the right result.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    The first jungle hammock I got from tom had a small tear in the netting and some other cosmetic defects. Fearful that the tear might worsen and the cosmetic defects were indicative of a "lemon" I asked tom through email for a replacement. He sent one promptly and told me to keep the first as well.

That is one of the reasons I highly recommend Claytor hammocks. that and the fact that both hammocks have served me well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast