Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Like most here i use a 2L platypus and gatoraid bottle. I had a platy leak, but only after 200+ miles. Then it was a very small and managable leak. Camelbaks have a superior bitevalve though and I replace my platypus one.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    1 litter platty and a 16oz wide mouth nalgene, used to just do the nalgene but with the Gravity filter I want a few less stops(just being lazy) The Nalgene stays empty but for hot drinks in the morning and if I want a hot water bottle to through in the bottom of the quilt, or if I have something like soup to rehydrate while still on the trail. Around here there is a stream, pond or lake every mile or so, so it is not a big deal to have little to no water on hand, I usual only have 1/2 litter on hand while hiking and drink up at water stops. I stay better hydrated that way than if I have a lot of water in my pack and am not thinking about where to get more and how long it is till then, I like to carry my bottle in my hand or off the front of my pack straps to remind me it is right there and I should drink some.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Depends on the length of trip but for shorter hikes, 1L & 2L Platypus collapsible bottles. For longer hikes or when further between water sources, I'll use a 2L Sawyer Complete Water Filter System. The 2L clean water bag is used as a bladder in my pack and the 2L dirty water bag is filled with clean water at home or along the way. It's a pretty light and versatile system.

SmokeBait

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Some great feedback. Sounds like the combination gatorade bottle with 1-2L Platypus (for camp or extended range) is the popular option.

Does anyone have experience with the Lid-Straw (similar to the camelbak water bottles)? I use one for road biking and it's much easier to gulp on the go rather than stopping to swig.... I wonder if there's something that would work in the playtpus bag (thus you wouldn't need two hands to drink) or maybe a DIY that screws onto the gatorade bottles?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    my setup is 2 gatorade bottles or aquafina bottles...there light and if they get all nasty there cheap to replace ....for camp i have my gravity filter thats holds a gallon ....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Gatorade bottles. If they wear out you can buy a new one and it comes with a drink already inside.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    You can get a hydration hose system for the Platty as a separate piece, or buy them with the hose and bite valve like a Cback. But like someone else posted above the Cback bite valve is a little nicer, they are an easy change if you like. I like the hose anti microbe hose that Cback uses so if I ever go back to using a full hydration system rather than a bottle in hand I will just get some of that hose and a bite valve from Camelback, the Platty is nice as light as it is and they will hold up to a lot of use.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    I just got back from a weekend trip and I used a new 1 liter platy bottle and a drink tube to fit it. This was put in my outside pouch for drinking on the fly. I really like being able to see how much water was left in the bottle. For filling the platy bottles I made a end for my filter hose from an extra top, screw it on the platy so you can lay it down on the stream bank making it easier when filling . Keeping your filter close to the top of your pack gives the ability to carry less water while hiking . I also carry a small gatorade bottle for my " fancy " drinks (kool-aid) in camp and for lunches. A 2 liter platy is filled when I get to camp. This combo weights in at about 3 oz. empty but give me 3 1/2 liters for camp at the end of the day .

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    I use 2 one liter water bottles. Cheap, durable (they last forever) and they have a wide mouth for easy filling.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I usually use a 1L wide-mouth AquaFina bottle, or a 1L Fiji bottle. I like 1L b/c Katadyn tablets are made in 1L doses.

I also usually have a 2L soft-sided Nalgene cantene. It's like a bladder with a normal Nalgene mouth/lid instead of a tube. I use it for camp or dry stretches, and it's great as a pillow...especially when I fill it with hot water in the winter.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast