Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images

Which water bottle do you use?

Looking for a little feedback on what everyone carries for hydration.

I used to use the camelbak's, but came to find that refilling those suckers mid-hike was a real pain in the rear - plus you still need another cup in camp for mixing evening cocktails. I used a Nalgene bottle for a long time, but I'm trying to trim those 6oz's.

So, has anyone had any experience with the platypus handheld bottles or something similar?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HobieCat View Post
    Looking for a little feedback on what everyone carries for hydration.

I used to use the camelbak's, but came to find that refilling those suckers mid-hike was a real pain in the rear - plus you still need another cup in camp for mixing evening cocktails. I used a Nalgene bottle for a long time, but I'm trying to trim those 6oz's.

So, has anyone had any experience with the platypus handheld bottles or something similar?
    Practically free, I use a small Gatorade bottle for in camp & mixes. I usually carry a full 2L Platty and the 20Oz Gatorade bottle. When I get to town on a long hike, I get a bottle of Gatorade & swap out. I think it weighs 1.2 Oz empty.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm right there with Doctari. I carry a 2+ liter Platypus in my backpack and keep a 1 liter Gatorade bottle in the side pocket.

I have a 1 liter Platypus bottle, but I like the Gatorade bottle better because it holds it's shape and works better one handed where the Platy wants to flop around.

I tried to like bladders, but they work better for me when I'm on my bicycle.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

I carry a 2 liter platy, but empty until I get to camp, while hiking I use two plastic bottles either gatorade or powerade, and or a dasini water bottle or the like. I have one bottle that I drink from while hiking and the other since I use aquamira I fill that one up from a spring or any other water source that looks good and let the chem do it's thing as I hike that way I always know how much water I have and when to start looking to fill up. I used to use the bladder thing but I was always nervous as you can never know how much is left in there without unpacking everything to look, too much work I found for me!! For camp I use a gravity filter (Aquasimple from AHE)

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    2l Platypus hoser with inline purifier, 1 litre spring water bottle for flavoured water and extra camp water.

If I split a platypus, the water bottle is the same screw thread as the hose connection.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a 2 liter Platypus "bladder" that I use while hiking. I carry a folded 2 liter Platypus "bottle" that I use around camp for cooking/drinking. I've dabbled with using 1 liter (Aquafina) bottles, but prefer the ease of on-the-go sipping from the bladder while hiking. For the life of me, I can't drink from a bottle while walking
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    These comments have me wondering if the platy bladders have improved lately? I started with platy bladders and found all the folding/bending caused the plastic to wear out prematurely. Ive since switched to camelbacks with absolutely no problems.

However, you're right, its sometimes hard to see how much water is left in there and have used the gatorade bottle a lot depending on the situation. I find the camelback packs work great for day hikes with their small backpacks.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Gatorade

I use a Gatorade 20oz. bottle shockcord and cordlocked to my shoulder strap. Got the idea from ULA.

The 20 oz. Gatorade bottle in a cozy is my hot beverage cup in camp.

The 20 oz. bottle is a good size for the Crystal Light single serving drink flavors.

Generally one 32 oz. Gatorade bottle in a side pocket with treated water. Tablets and AquaMira measure in quarts.

One or two 2 quart Platypus bladders in the pack for camp and extra carry capacity.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I try not to fold and bend the flexible bottles too much.

I have just thrown out a camelbak reservoir that lasted 12 years before splitting.
    Now thats value.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I can't seem to let my Nalgene go. I can pour my morning java or evening hot chocolate in there without burning my hands or melting the bottle. If I'm not using it to carry a beverage, I can always stuff my first aid kit or something in there to offset the bulk.
    If I know I'll be having long stretches between water sources, I'll bring a bladder of some kind as well.
    A good 20 oz softdrink bottle works well too. You can buy one of those biner /cord things at WalMart for under a buck that holds them without using up one of your pockets on a pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast