WBBB 200-300lb weight gap and wind help.

I have gleaned and lurked and gleaned some more on this forum for years. I have a HH and because of you on this forum I haven’t hade a drum tight ridgeline in 2 years and I am grateful for that. I have hung in my HH for over 40 nights love the comfort and hate the bottom entry on the HH. I am passing this hammock off to my wife and getting a WBBB to avoid the feeling of being dropped like a newborn calf every time I exit and avoid the calf stripe that is a common occurrence with the HH.
    I am 210lbs at 6’1’’ and have 10 lbs of gear with me in the hammock at night so I fall in the 200 flat lay 1.1 double and the 300 of the 1.7 double. I am a side sleeper and I want a flatter hammock than my HH. Brandon told me that there are many 200 to 225lb guys out there that are happy with the 1.1 double and I would like to hear from some of you. I asked about a combo 1.7 top with a 1.0 brown bottom to fill the weight gap but he is unable to do custom orders (a good problem to have). I am impressed with his customer service and quality of workmanship on the one hammock of his that I have seen. I will be purchasing a hammock from him presently, I just wish there was another choice between 200 and 300lbs.
    Now to my #2 dilemma, I am a Idaho river rat and have been leaving the hammock at home for the Hilleberg because of the vicious shifting winds that I regularly encounter on the desert rivers as well as the Salmon river. I have enjoyed my demand from HH for the simplicity and has worked well in the rain with some mods. but sucks in the wind. I wand as little tie outs as possible and am strongly resisting the big superfly it violates my KISS mentality and I have cleansed my collection of many great products that are a pain to work with in the field.
    Sorry for the long post
    Help,
    Matt

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just go with the DL 1.7 oz if you're concerned about laying flat, it doesn't weigh too much more than the DL 1.1 oz.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm 6'5", 225 and do fine with the 1.1 double. YMMV.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Idahomutt, welcome to the posting side of the forums If you want to try out a 1.1 double and give it a test before you buy we could meet up someplace. I don't have a 1.9 on hand at the moment but you could at least feel how the 1.1 does for you.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Hey Idahomutt, welcome to the posting side of the forums If you want to try out a 1.1 double and give it a test before you buy we could meet up someplace. I don't have a 1.9 on hand at the moment but you could at least feel how the 1.1 does for you.

Paul
    I am in Nampa, you are in MT home right? I am ordering in the next couple of days so i will probably not get the chance to meet up with you . I have no question that i will love the WBBB but i am concerned about the gap in his line. I like things spelled out for me and now instead of something matching my needs I must decide between a product lighter with possibly more sag(I plan on using my Exped down mat) and something a little overkill. By the way my diamond HH tarp would be my only tarp if it was Ok in the wind.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by idahomutt View Post
    as I am in Nampa, you are in MT home right?
    Yup,

I am ordering in the next couple of days so i will probably not get the chance to meet up with you .
    No worry's figured I would offer.

I have no question that i will love the WBBB but i am concerned about the gap in his line. I like things spelled out for me and now instead of something matching my needs I must decide between a product lighter with possibly more sag(I plan on using my Exped down mat) and something a little overkill. By the way my diamond HH tarp would be my only tarp if it was Ok in the wind.
    He makes a great hammock that is for sure. I had a buddy about your size in mine last fall for a bit and he said it was great, wanted to go ahead and take a nap I wanted it back I think with that pad you will probably find you will be forcing the hammock to lay a bit flatter than if you were in the hammock without. Maybe not if you don't fully inflate it.

I am pretty flexible though so if you decide you want to try it I am game.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Yup,

No worry's figured I would offer.

He makes a great hammock that is for sure. I had a buddy about your size in mine last fall for a bit and he said it was great, wanted to go ahead and take a nap I wanted it back I think with that pad you will probably find you will be forcing the hammock to lay a bit flatter than if you were in the hammock without. Maybe not if you don't fully inflate it.

I am pretty flexible though so if you decide you want to try it I am game.
    thank you, I will meet up with you soon but i hope to have my WBBB by then.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by idahomutt View Post
    thank you, I will meet up with you soon but i hope to have my WBBB by then.
    Sounds good, I have some shake down hikes planned for getting me ready for a hiking season that I hope will be full of weekend trips. As soon as a little more snow is out of the hills, I am thinking of doing a little loop above Fairfield. Give me a holler any time though.

I was bursting at the seams to buy one so I cold not wait for any more advise. I bought the 1.1 double and the superfly. I hope i do not feel like I went overkill with the tarp or skimped on the 1.1 DL BB
    Last edited by idahomutt; 04-27-2010 at 20:27.

• + New Posts