Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad

Dyneema Gridstop

Has anyone looked into use this as a hammock. If so do you know what the weight is per sq yard? With the durability touted by ULA and Golite as being very durable for a light weight fabric I thought it might make a good hammock body ( It really is a good materal, at least for packs, BTW I love my ULA circut). I thought that, if light enough it could be used in a double layerd hammock. Possiably used in conjection with 1.1 oz ripstop.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm assuming that they must not list the weight on any of the web sites you've looked at.
    someone may have to make a phone call or two. maybe ace from thru hiker would know the weight.

one thing i wonder about is that if it has very little stretch, it may not be as comfortable for those that don't like using a pad inside the hammock.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    somebody sells 1.9 oz. spectra gridstop if i recall. can't remember who.

the thing to do would be to find out the manufacturer's listed tear strength, and compare that to regular ripstop of the same weight.

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    Slowhike, how would the inability of dyneema to stretch take away from comfort in your opinion? (Not meant to be a smartass question) The reason I ask to begin with is that, well Im a heavier guy, and It occured to me that by useing a piece of dyneema and maybe a piece of 1.1 in a double layered hammock would increase the strength of the hammock (My zhammock made of two pieces of 1.1 makes my a little nervious, although it has heald for about 100 mi so far. I just thought the dyneema would add a lot of strength for minumal weight penality.

Warbonnet Guy, where can I find the tear strength of 1.1 ripstop. I have never seen this listed anywhere Ive looked.
    Last edited by Bulldog; 08-22-2007 at 21:56.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Images
    performance textiles lists their 30d 1.1 @ 5# tear strength. this is for their mil spec parachute canopy fabric, but i'm pretty sure it's plain old breathable ripstop nylon. they do have reg 1.9 and 1.1 too, although its not listed on this chart: http://www.perftex.com/milpara.htm ,give them a call and ask, they are the manufacturer, so they would definately have the specs.

as far as the spectra gridstop, call the retailer and have them look it up, they will often even contact their dealer/manufacturer if they don't have the info.

i would think the strength gain would be small. less stretch might cause less shoulder squeeze, but a stretchy fabric (like nylon) may conform to your curvature better.

let us know what you find out.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm not sure how much, if any difference, that less stretch would make.
    i'm mostly just saying that on a thought from a past conversation.
    it may not make a noticeable difference. that would be a good question to put to the test.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I don't think I would want to slip on Gridstop. I used it on the back panel of my backpack, but I certainly wouldn't want it for a hammock. It is also urethane coated on one side. Or at least it seems to be. Oh and Mine Stretches, but the grid tries to prevent it from stretching, so I would think that might make it that bit more uncomfortable.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    I don't think I would want to slip on Gridstop. I used it on the back panel of my backpack, but I certainly wouldn't want it for a hammock. It is also urethane coated on one side. Or at least it seems to be. Oh and Mine Stretches, but the grid tries to prevent it from stretching, so I would think that might make it that bit more uncomfortable.
    That's what I was thinking. I made an entire backpack out of the stuff. I think its great for that application but the feel wouldn't be all that great for a hammock. However, if it was the bottom layer of a double and you had something softer on top it might be fine. But I don't think you will gain much. I can't recall the weight but the price will definitely by higher than 1.9 ripstop.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I made an entire backpack out of the stuff. I think its great for that application but the feel wouldn't be all that great for a hammock. However, if it was the bottom layer of a double and you had something softer on top it might be fine. But I don't think you will gain much. I can't recall the weight but the price will definitely by higher than 1.9 ripstop.
    Weight is something like 4oz/sq. yd

• + New Posts