Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images

Which One?????

Been thinking about getting one of Tom's hammocks. Can't decide which one though. What model do you Claytor owners suggest & why?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I am going for the Jungle model WITHOUT the fly ($100)I think, possibly the Expedition. I like the Jungle the best but the weight keeps bothering me.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 11-01-2006 at 11:55.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Funny...I was going to give a little mini review of my Claytor hammock when your post popped up. I initialy bought the Expedition but at 6'2" I found it a bit short and exchanged it for the Jungle model. I'm not a long distance hiker so the little added weight was not an issue for me. I like having the extra space it provides. There are several particular things I like about the hammock. I like the side entry with the intregal netting. It's very easy to enter and zip up once inside. There is never any tension on the netting before, during or after zipping. The zippers are smooth as silk. I REALLY like the netting suspension system he uses. (see pictures in gallery under Miguel) There are several loops on the outside of the netting at each end of the hammock from which the netting is suspended by a thin bungee cord. The cool part is that the two end loops are partially sewn shut allowing a speader bar to be inserted without slipping out. It really spreads out the netting resulting in a truly spacious interior. I have made spreader bars from wooden dowels but twice I've forgotten them and was able to make speader bars from sticks very easily in just a couple of minutes. There are also interior hang loops at each end directly under the netting supension points. There is also the obligatory pouch for holding flashlights, keys etc.

I also like the double bottom. It makes it very easy to insert any sort of pad. I haven't detected any movement of the pad although I have yet to sleep in it overnight. I have spent several hours in it in different settings and in the rain. If the pad did tend to slip out an easy fix would be to sew the two layers together for about a foot from each end. That would still allow easy entry of the pad while effectively locking it in place.

The fly is 13' by 10' which is ample coverage. I intentionally set it up in the rain yesterday. I stayed dry for about an hour that I tested it. I left it up all night and it was bone dry in the morning. Tying the supension knot near the end of the hammock and under the fly seems to work as a drip thingy. Of course all suspension lines need for settup are included plus an extra twenty feet just in case.

I tried it for a couple hours the other night with an insulated air mattress partially inflated and a 20 degree bag. The temp was 45-50 degrees and I stayed very warm with no discernable cold spots. As I said I also tried it in the rain although the temps were a balmy 60-70 degrees. I had a full length Thermarest inserted along with the $20 Sportsman's Guide sleeping bag. I was ther for an hour and stayed both warm and dry. All the times I've tried the hammock I was in street clothes.

In sum...I'm totally satisfied with the hammock. I would recommend either the Jungle or the Expedition model depending on your size and personal preference. I do believe the Expedition model is lighter although I'm too lazy to look up the specs right now. One last comment....all materials seem to be of very high quality and Tom was very accomodating.

Hope this helps, Miguel

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Thanks Miguel,
    A few more questions.....

The web site lists two diffrent weights for the jungle, 3lb and 3.5lb. How much does it actually weigh?

Is there a zipper on both sides or just 1 side?

Can you insert the pad from either side or just 1?

If the answer is 1 side for both questions, are they on the same side?

They list the fly as nylon taffeta. Is the same material used for both layers of the hammock?

Thanks, Arkwater

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    1. I don't have a scale that accurate so I can't really say.
    2. Zipper is on one side only.
    3. Insert pad from one side only....same side as zipper.
    4. I believe it's the same material but I'm at work so I'm not actually looking at it.

Miguel

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Nylon taffeta for the fly? That is the same thing that the Gear Guide tarp in made from. The 10x14 stock fly would probably weigh about the same as the GG 12x12 tarp, which is 1lb 15oz, so the hammock itself probably weighs around 1.5 to 2lbs.

I think the GG tarp might be a better choice because of the number of tie-outs it contains. It has a set of side tie-outs that would be perfect to tie the netting to to keep it open instead of using a stick.

Question

ArKwater,
    Thanks for asking the questions I was thinking just the same as you.
    However I have a question about the netting, does it tie/clip up to and under neat the rain fly? I wanted to make sure of this so no water will run down the lines when it rains. Also it looks like it would be cheaper to order the Jungle then the Expedition with the 3 X 4 rain fly. Which one would anyone here get for a thru-hike of the A.T. starting April,1 2007? I am a lightweight backpacker and have been using a tarp for the past few years but the bones are hurting so I was going to go to the Hammock and start hanging. Also I was thinking of getting the pad from oware it's 40" or would a Ridgerest full length do? I want to stay as warm as possible in the Hammock.And as light as possible.
    Thanks to everyone who answers for your help.
    Last edited by EZ-DOES-IT; 11-01-2006 at 16:34.

Images

Weight

My Expedition hammock with Dynema hanging cord weighs 750 grams, so about 26 ounces or 1.5 pounds. Hammock alone about 650 grams or about 23 ounces.
    I hang the netting directly to the cord I string across for my tarp so almost directly above hammock using two small plastic hooks , so no problems with rain and that. I live in the UK so rain can be problem!!

Nigel

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ-DOES-IT View Post
    ArKwater,
    Thanks for asking the questions I was thinking just the same as you.
    However I have a question about the netting, does it tie/clip up to and under neat the rain fly? I wanted to make sure of this so no water will run down the lines when it rains. Also it looks like it would be cheaper to order the Jungle then the Expedition with the 3 X 4 rain fly. Which one would anyone here get for a thru-hike of the A.T. starting April,1 2007? I am a lightweight backpacker and have been using a tarp for the past few years but the bones are hurting so I was going to go to the Hammock and start hanging. Also I was thinking of getting the pad from oware it's 40" or would a Ridgerest full length do? I want to stay as warm as possible in the Hammock.And as light as possible.
    Thanks to everyone who answers for your help.
    The netting does not attach under the fly. It has a line that attaches to the tree although you could easily attach it to the fly attachment line like the other person mentioned. Iy you look on Claytor's site there is a picture of a rectangular fly with a plastic D ring sewn to the underside. I think that's a great idea as it would totally eliminate dripping and could easily be added after the fact.

The side tie outs mentioned might also work well but it seems like it might distort the fly somewhat. I'd like to hear back on that one. Perhaps two D rings sewn near the edge of the fly would work well. All great ideas.

Miguel

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    My Expedition hammock with Dynema hanging cord weighs 750 grams, so about 26 ounces or 1.5 pounds. Hammock alone about 650 grams or about 23 ounces.
    Using Nigelp's weights for the expedition, the jungle should be around 28oz for the bare hammock. Not too bad! This is assuming the same weight material is used for both.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast