Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images

Sewing Straight!

I have been learning how to use my thread injector and have found it can be difficult to sew in a straight line! I go along just fine for a while and then things go awry and my stitches start weaving. Any tips other than more practice?

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I'm sure we've all been there at one time or another. I know it took me a while to get the hang of it.
    For me, the trick was not trying to do too big of a stretch at a time. I'll usually only do 12" or 15" before "resetting" my grip on the fabric.
    Also, it's really easy for the excess fabric hanging of the table to pull things out of line. Make sure you have a lot of "slack" so that the feed dogs can pull the fabric easily.

Hope that helps,
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schwieb View Post
    .... then things go awry and my stitches start weaving. Any tips other than more practice?
    Hmm ... dark fabrics and dark thread ... and only take your handy work out at night! ... works for me

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Hmm ... dark fabrics and dark thread ... and only take your handy work out at night! ... works for me

I also write it off as 'dynamic stiching' because it distributes the stress across different areas of the fabric. Instead of one straight line..... In reality I have to agree with hawk-eye, find thread that matches the fabric...been sewing for a while the only time have a straight line going is about the time the bobbin runs out and I sew another 12 inches before realizing it.

enjoy the ride.

bg

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A typical noobie to thread injecting makes a mistake which seems very correct but results in precisely the dynamic you identify. _Don't_ look at the _needle_. The needle ain't going anywhere except up and down. Maybe occasionally side to side. But for all intents and purposes it stays in the same place. Watch a quideline as you feed the fabric through. Most throat plates are marked in inches or centimeters from the needle. That's fine as far as it goes, but I prefer to establish a guide point slightly in front of the needle/presser foot. If you guide along that line you have a better chance of keeping straight, at least while you are learning.

My wife can sew straight along the width of a pencil line. She was given a 2mm margin of error when she worked in the sewing factory. It can be done but it takes practice and a trained eye. Use some masking tape and figure out where your typical seam allowance puts the edge of the fabric. Lay down your masking tape along that line and use that to guide the fabric.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    How large a piece are you sewing? Excess material you are not sewing on can drag the part you are sewing on in unexpected directions.

And, yeah, practice is GOOD.

I usually sew with my right hand in front and to the right of the needle and my left hand behind the needle on the left to help keep the fabric moving along where I want it to go.

I'm to lazy to post a video (Ramblinrev has done that already anyway) so here's a snap.

Observe how I am not pulling on the fabric, just using light pressure of my hands to keep it in line. Pulling on the fabric is a good way to get a broken needle or at least uneven stitches.

Experiment with speed - some materials sew better fast and some slow.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    to be honest I find dark fabric and dark thread is much harder to guide than lighter fabric no matter what color the thread. Black is the worst in my opinion. The dynamic stitching concept is a fine idea. Unless you want to start a cottage industry for sewing things. But for your typical DIY relax and sew it. As long as it holds together... it's all good.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Use some masking tape and figure out where your typical seam allowance puts the edge of the fabric. Lay down your masking tape along that line and use that to guide the fabric.
    This sounds like a good idea. I'll try that today.

If I'm honest, I think it is that I get everything going along great and then I think, hey this isnt so bad, then I stop paying as much attention as I should and whammo crooked stitch lines!

Thanks for the encouragement gang. That's what I really needed.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I keep telling myself, "I like women, I like women..." So far it seems to work.

Ok if it is you that is making the fabric move then it is just a matter of practice. I use a point on the presser foot to watch. Usually the side of it against a hem side. I will often lay down 2 about 1/8th" apart. That is real good practice and if you do it right is impressive.

Now it could also be the machine. Sometimes if the bobbin tension isn't right or my needle is bent it will make my straight stitch look like a zig zag or a saw tooth. Then it is a matter of correcting those problems. I can really feel the difference when things are adjusted correctly for the fabric and thread. I haven't learned how to make that happen yet, but I know when it does so.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Give the machine a thorough cleaning. I had a similar issue and found a gob of fuzz under the stitch plate, that wouldn't allow the dogs to extend up as far as they should.

I also do as Rev said and lay down a strip of masking tape, for a visual guide.

Still comes down to doin' and learnin' tho. Lots of patience, practice and seam rippin', stick with it.

Gargoyle (the tarp only comes out at night)
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast