I seem to have gotten this silicone tubing stuck in my mind the past few days. Today another use for the tubing popped into my mind for use in making a UCR that is as easy to use as the Whoopie Slings.
So I decided to try the idea and see if it worked.
The problem with the UCR: the unloaded end of the bury doesn't grip completely and so the UCR slips when loaded.
Various idea have been devised to loading the unloaded end using a Prussic knot and they work. My problem with the Prussic is that it is another part of the UCR that needs to be adjusted. Not a big problem, but just more wheedle factor when compared to the Whoopie Sling which is super simple to use and rock solid.
My idea: Slip some silicone tubing over the UCR constrictor bury to squeeze the constrictor on the unloaded end. This should keep that portion of the constrictor tight against the buried cord and thus the constrictor should grip immediately when loaded. Of course the silicone tubing must be sized so that it squeezes the constrictor sufficiently without hindering adjustment.
I have some 0.25" OD x 0.125" ID silicone tubing that works well with the 2 mm Dynaglide. It squeezes a bury well without squeezing too much.
So I used a 7" length of the silicone tubing and made up a UCR with the tubing on the unloaded end of the constrictor:
Wrapped for packing:
cord: 2 mm Dynaglide
length of constrictor: 16" before bury, 12" after bury.
length of silicone tubing: 7"
Total weight including 2 Ti toggles: 0.90 oz (26 g)
Maximum extension: 6' 1"
minimum extension: 25"
fixed eye bury length: 6"
Took the Whoopie sling off one end of my suspension in the basement hammock lab and installed the new UCR. Easy installation.
Adjusted the UCR for proper suspension length for proper sag and smoothed out the constrictor outside of the silicone tubing. Adjustment was easy and quick. As easy as the Whoopie Sling.
Hung Bridge Hammock from suspension and gently got into the Bridge. I say gently since the UCR bury is only 12", which in the past was very inadequate and slipped no matter what, and because I was concerned hanging from that very small single Dynaglide line.
No slip whatsoever as I got into the Bridge. Moved around gently to test for slip - none whatsoever.
My verdict: this method of constructing a UCR is as easy to use as a Whoopie sling and just as solid with no slip whatsoever thus far.
- lighter than a Whoopie Sling of equivalent extension.
- as easy to use as a Whoopie Sling
- No slip just as the Whoopie Sling
- No extra knots to adjust. Adjust the length and smooth the constrictor outside of the tubing. The tubing keeps the constrictor tight against the buried cord so it grips immediately.
- many times harder and much more time consuming to make than a Whoopie Sling. After doing the first one, I could make more in less time than the first, but still much longer than a Whoopie Sling. The reason it is som much harder to construct: you have to make the bury splice with the tubing over the constrictor portion and so you are trying to run the splicing tool down the middle of the cord which is in the middle of the tubing. Not an easy task. Having done the first one, I learned a few tricks that should make the rest a little easier, but it is still darned hard to do.
I suppose I could and should do more experimentation to determine the proper amount of tubing to use. I just took a SWAG and used 7". That length worked, but maybe less would also. Less would make constructing the UCR easier.
If I was a SUL person, then this UCR construction method would be my suspension of choice.
Call it TeeDee's UCR
Feel free to use it you want to try making them.