WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I use the Whoopie Slings and from the start I have used the tail end of the sling as a drip string as follows.

After adjusting the Whoopie Sling, I take the tail end and bring it back to the sling loop, put about 6" to 10" though the sling loop, wrap it around the sling once and back through the sling loop, pull the wrap tight and let the tail end hang down. That gives me 2 "strings" hanging down at that point.

By wrapping once around the sling, the tail end forms a dam on the sling at that point and forces the water down the 2 hanging "strings".

Got the idea from one of the hammock vendors that wraps their suspension line around a metal ring to stop water. I figure the dyneema should work as well as the metal ring.

Never had any problem. But then, like Dutch, it could be that I wouldn't have had a problem doing nothing either.
    Can you post a pic or are you still unable to do so? Would a half shoe lace knot work? Like the one that brandon uses on warbonnet webbing suspensions? I forgot the name for the knot, thats what i usually tie. I've had my ends wet a few times, but hard to tell if its from the storm or the slings.
    Last edited by ikemouser; 04-28-2010 at 20:46.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    My intentions on offering the complete system is geared more towards new hammockers that arent down with all the lingo. Slings, toggles, MSH, DC, huggers etc. Its certainly not an UL offering, nor is it intended to be.

Just an oppurtunity to simplify the experience. And really the additional weight is only right around 2 ounces, 1 ounce per side.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    WoW this turned into a great thread of information...Im not so worried about the weight I am looking for what is most effective in keeping me and my stuff dry first, and weight second. From the sound of it, like all things hammock, its a matter of personel perference and style. I think im gonna go drip strip style. Use some sort of super absorbant cloth like sham wow type material. My other ideah is to use my socks that I hiked in for the day, hang um as drip strips so if it rains they get washed...and let them dry from my pack while hikeing. ... Opie, I was checking out your set at the MAHA and it is really nice, Im sure CrankyBear is really enjoying it, if WV dident help make me woopies I would of bought your kit for sure, it definatly makes things easy...I just got my tree strap in the mail today from Greenlespaul so I cant wait to hang this weekend at rickets glen, in some weird way Im kinda hopeing for some rain
    ~LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    hmmm, at first i'm like Dutch, having had no problems, even this past weekend in the Smokys with that huge rain storm...amsteel woopies from Opie, and I didn't notice any wetting of the hammock and the whoopies were def. in the rain.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    hmmm, at first i'm like Dutch, having had no problems, even this past weekend in the Smokys with that huge rain storm...amsteel woopies from Opie, and I didn't notice any wetting of the hammock and the whoopies were def. in the rain.
    Oh come on! Everyone knows that's because Opie uses magic when making his gear.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Oh come on! Everyone knows that's because Opie uses magic when making his gear.
    Well I'v got Opie's secret MAHHA package already on the hammock so_______ Yippie I'm covered

P.S. Opie
    I might need to get some more of that magic dust as I think mine might be wearing off!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I put cloth strips on my woopies tonight and gonna test um out this weekend at rickets glen. Ill post a trip report this time becacuse my Fiancec is coming wiht me which means Ill actually have a camera and take pictures. And Opie do you sell that magic dust at woopieslings.com . I need what ever help I can get when im out in the woods.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    How may of you have tried tying a slipped half hitch in your whoppies? It offers no weight penalty, i would be interested to hear some test results with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    How may of you have tried tying a slipped half hitch in your whoppies? It offers no weight penalty, i would be interested to hear some test results with it.
    That's a pretty good idea, I might have to try this on my next outing, I'm assuming you are saying using the tail end of the whoopie that is just hanging there not doing much??

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    So I ended up doing this....

cut a piece of a rag and tied it in a couple of nots around the woopies. Also on the head end is my bishop sack as an xtra back up. I also mentioned that I am going to hang my socks from my woopies to let the rain wash them and them dry them from my pack the following day while hikeing. Ike I like your half hitch ideah now I just got to learn how to tie the knot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast