Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Images
    some of them look like torture devices

Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    scroll down here you'll see some more of the surcingles, but go a little further and check out the weird medical wire forms.

I am in Hong Kong, but shipping is no problem at all. On another forum I recently shipped pocket knives to the UK for under a dollar. In fact the cost for the first 30g is only 50¢ and these weigh 5.9g.

Shipping time was 4 days for the fastest deliveries. Most of the 20 recipients got theirs within 6 days. A few took longer, but that was because they shipped to addresses that they didn't visit to pick up from for a week or so.

The mail process is roughly like this:

Delivery to GPO (upto 1 day depending on time of day)
    Sorting and security clearance (1 day)
    Flight (1 day)
    Customs clearance (upto 1 day)
    Sorting and delivery (1 day)

Depending on the union coffee breaks and unfortunate timing coincidences like missing flights, you might add a day at any one or more steps, but not usually.

Give it a try, it will cost you nothing and you will get a feel for international shipping.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    didn't see any 3/4 or 1" ones. looked like they were all bigger.
    well you are a tough one to please

The main problem is with the nomenclature. It is definitely heavily used in the equestrian field. But I think the surcingle is more like a girth belt type thing. This 'clasp' is just part of it (or some of them) so it's kind of hard to find. I also think it's the 'old' way of doing things and so it might be harder to track down. Since this 'belt' is mostly used for horses, they aren't going to be using 1" webbing or leather.
    I guess we'll have to find another industry that uses these things. First, I think we have to find a searchable name for what they are called.
    But that will have to wait til tomorrow. Someone's getting a bit irritable..
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    yeah, zdp's is 3/4" and 5-6g. seems abought right if it's strong enough.

i bet a search for metal hardware manufacturers would work well. if metal hardware brings up too much other crap, searching plastic hardware might work well, as places selling plastic hardware usually sell metal too. i'll look tomorrow if i have time too.

i'm also concerned about the round stock not holding the hitch as well as the wider flat stock of the nine does. who knows though, will have to try.

Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    well you are a tough one to please

The main problem is with the nomenclature. It is definitely heavily used in the equestrian field. But I think the surcingle is more like a girth belt type thing. This 'clasp' is just part of it (or some of them) so it's kind of hard to find. I also think it's the 'old' way of doing things and so it might be harder to track down. Since this 'belt' is mostly used for horses, they aren't going to be using 1" webbing or leather.
    I guess we'll have to find another industry that uses these things. First, I think we have to find a searchable name for what they are called.
    But that will have to wait til tomorrow. Someone's getting a bit irritable..

Images
    I haven't hung from the 9 yet but I've been playing with Brandon's 'knot' on the nine. I think if I was to use it the way he has has it, I'd want that V in the nine to hold that piece of the rope in place.
    Playing around without the V (I grabbed some piece from the hardware store) I think I would want something a little extra to hold that in place. It does seem to hold quite well but a little slack in the line 'could' wiggle it loose.
    If there is a 'could' in my suspension system, I'm going to do something different. What I'd suggest is bringing the weighted line back over the first side (right side) to hold that dood in place. So it kinda becomes a figure eight around the loose end....

Another workable shape is like an Omega. I noticed a trap door handle uses a round handle with the ends bent back to swivel.
    At work today, I realized there was a new shop within walking distance called Metal4U. Well they have a plasma cutter and plenty of metal
    So I might pursue that if I settle on a shape.
    Scott

RWE

Images
    yeah, i guess you could wrap the weighted end over the v again.

my v is not a v anymore, but a u that the rope runs smoothly through.once tension is applied, all slack is removed, and the weighted line will not move, so i don't think thats necessary, but if the scrungicle thing doesn't have as much bight, another wrap of the weighted end would increase holding power as well.

I won't represent that the buckles are work or are strong enough, but they fitted your description, so I wondered if the two of you would like to try them, rather than fabricate them from scratch.

Anyway, gunn parker has asked for them, so if it's OK by you I will mail them to him today.

Images
    yeah, fine with me. why didn't you try them yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by ZDP-189 View Post
    I won't represent that the buckles are work or are strong enough, but they fitted your description, so I wondered if the two of you would like to try them, rather than fabricate them from scratch.

Anyway, gunn parker has asked for them, so if it's OK by you I will mail them to him today.

I am happy with the cleat and pulley for my HH and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure cleats, buckles or most other attachment rig is necessary or that it adds all that much value. There are plenty of good hitches and knots that'll do the job.

Images
    Here's another way to use the 9 with a simple tie to what WBG did.
    I just followed the lasered in directions.......
    Haven't tried it yet. It weighs about 10.5-11g (EDIT: weighed here at the lab it's actually 11.97g) and what just one simple cut on the 9 to get just the handle.
    Last edited by schrochem; 09-06-2007 at 08:49. Reason: got exact weight
    Scott

RWE

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast