Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    ok i see. that is a pretty simple hitch. something like that could be made really easy by drilling some holes in an alum plate, it could be made really
    light too, and since it's closed it would be stronger, and could be made even lighter still.
    I looked at it after I posted and essentially there is an anchor in there!
    Yea, it would be easy, just a triangle piece with three holes drilled.
    Oh man, this might not be hard at all.
    We could adjust thickness of the plate and the size of the holes....

Also, looking at the attachment, I think it's better to tie it the way you did the nine, with the free end out so there could be a half hitch or two. See updated attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    and there were other ways to tie that thing of course

okay, I've got to look busy....
    Scott

RWE

Images
    that thing looks cool, but i can't believe anyone would actually buy one as a belay/rapell device. i've never seen a b/r device that you had to thread your whole rope through instead of just clipping it in. it would be such a pain to thread 200' of rope through before each rappel.

Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    and there were other ways to tie that thing of course

okay, I've got to look busy....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    that thing looks cool, but i can't believe anyone would actually buy one as a belay/rapell device. i've never seen a b/r device that you had to thread your whole rope through instead of just clipping it in. it would be such a pain to thread 200' of rope through before each rappel.
    Yea, that's what this dood thought also
    Scott

RWE

Images
    the connector could actually go lighter (see attached), but I bet the triangle shape is stronger. Perhaps a circle shape with three holes is even stronger than that??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

RWE

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I made a three holed triangular piece last night. I work 3rd shift and we have a tool shop with plenty of aluminum. Anyhow it only weighed 2 grams and was able to pick up 289 pound mold with no problem. I didn't want to go higher because the rope I was using isn't rated for that much. I am going hiking today and will be trying them out in the field. I do question if I can get them tight enough. I will be using a bridge hammock so it has to be tight but I can always remove the spreader bar, tighten it a little and put the spreader back in. I have to quit rushing out and buying the next support craze. If this works I'm going to have SMD rings, buckles, and large figure 9s laying around. At 2 grams there is no way I'm going to carry around buckles and 18 feet of strapping.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I made a three holed triangular piece last night. I work 3rd shift and we have a tool shop with plenty of aluminum. Anyhow it only weighed 2 grams and was able to pick up 289 pound mold with no problem. I didn't want to go higher because the rope I was using isn't rated for that much. I am going hiking today and will be trying them out in the field. I do question if I can get them tight enough. I will be using a bridge hammock so it has to be tight but I can always remove the spreader bar, tighten it a little and put the spreader back in. I have to quit rushing out and buying the next support craze. If this works I'm going to have SMD rings, buckles, and large figure 9s laying around. At 2 grams there is no way I'm going to carry around buckles and 18 feet of strapping.
    Wow Dutch, 2g is pretty **** light!
    Any details on how thick, wide, etc.?
    We also haven't heard from you on the Bridge thread. Any insights to add?
    Let us know how the tritri works out.
    Scott

RWE

Images
    Just some thoughts...

Fig 9's look cast to me. I'd bet that they are, forged would be the only other alternative for the seamed edges and with the low strength ratings they give them its highly unlikely since its a much more expensive manufacturing technique

Modding the Figure 9's... Open loops are much weaker than closed ones, check the ratings on biners open and closed.

Drilling holes for lightening will significantly weaken anything, and smaller holes means stress concentrators that can trigger failures, especially fatigue related ones. Be very careful lightening your Fig 9's this way without a complete retesting of the strength... I'd suggest lifting a lawn tractor, or something similar if you want it to take something even close to the theoretical maximums of around 1000 lbs.

Fatigue is a problem with Al. It can lose almost all its strength given enough load cycles. Unlikely in this application, but its possible they may see hundreds of cycles.'

Proper analysis of a part this complex would be done by FEA, but rough working strengths could be solved by hand. Allow a safety factor of at least 2 to 3 for hand calculations.

For those of us not familiar with where to buy these, are there Canadian retailers?
    Last edited by Rapt; 09-07-2007 at 11:57.

Images
    the 2 hole looks unstable, but the 3 hole circle looks very promising

Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    the connector could actually go lighter (see attached), but I bet the triangle shape is stronger. Perhaps a circle shape with three holes is even stronger than that??

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Just some thoughts...

Fatigue is a problem with Al. It can lose almost all its strength given enough load cycles. Unlikely in this application, but its possible they may see hundreds of cycles.'

For those of us not familiar with where to buy these, are there Canadian retailers?
    climbers load biners hundrerds of times, i've never heard of trashing them after a certain number of falls or bodyweight loadings, only when they get too grooved out.

not familiar with where to buy what?

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast