Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    What about something like this it would allow you to strap to the tree and have a rope adjustment all in one shot. I was thinking if you sew your strap end to the center bar it would allow you to up and over with the loose end of course the bend in the unit should be optimized to the angle at wich your hamock hangs and you might want to set up your hammock and use a bevel guage or compass to get the appropriate angle I'm guessing that it would be right around 30 degrees. I think the angle would allow you to have a straight buckle to the tree with out adding tention to the plate and forcing it to dig into the bark of the tree. So what do you think?

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...em/buckle2.jpg
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...em/buckle1.jpg

I have another idea and will post that after I go paint myself another picture.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Okay with this version, guess where I got the idea! Simply sew a loop on one end of your strap and sew this to the other end of the strap and your set to go. Tie your rope and adjust pretty simple!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...em/buckle3.jpg

I may have to patent this one! Just kidding! I haven't tested it so I'm not sure if it would be missing necessary stabilization like andersj's version has. I probably won't ever get to test it because I'll probably never make it. I don't have the tools to play with metal like you all do. I would really like a set of those buckles andersj uses though.
    Last edited by pure_mahem; 01-06-2008 at 19:58.

Images
    Yep, somewhere back in the 55 pages someone has made a 2 for 1. I know turk made one that would hold a tank
    However, that type of setup requires 'lark's head' the hugger to the tree first then use the free end with 2 for 1. Which of course is a plenty fine way of doing it. I was trying to go with the 'clip' in method that so many of us do with biners...
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    Dutch, have you been using the biner replacement you made here? After seeing where mine started to fail, I see the bulky corners are a must. I would just add the upward 'teeth' that hold in the inside.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Ok, I've been busy. What about a variation of the original andersj with an additional tie off, to add more tie off optiona and the fact that I like symetricity. So here it is, the measurements are extrapulated from andersj's website and no I don't spekenze deutch but both english and german are germanic languages so you can get some of the base words through pronunciation or extrapulation. And might I add what an awesome freaking site for a DIY MYOG. I do wish it was in english or a way to view it in english because there are a lot of awesome gear projects there.

Anywho here's the link to my drawing

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...em/buckle4.jpg

Here's the link to his site enjoy

http://www.andersj.se/

Eliminating the square corners of the cut out would make it easier to produce and reduce stress-risers.

I can't believe this thread is still running.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Dutch, have you been using the biner replacement you made here? After seeing where mine started to fail, I see the bulky corners are a must. I would just add the upward 'teeth' that hold in the inside.
    Hey scott,
    I agree about the upward teeth and I made one like that soon after I made the first one. I usually use my anchors that are on my HH, but with my new interest with the bridge I got out my C clips and perminately put them on my by hand sewing a few stitches. The one with the teeth has less chance of slipping off while setting up. I meant to make another like it but haven't gotten around to it.

It's not very pretty but it works great, the center slot could be a little bit wider.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    with apologies to Lennon/McCartney...not to mention HRM Queen Elizabeth...

Doing my part to sustain the Thread That Won't Die, I contracted with Dutch's Center for Pretty Good Computational Metalurgy to drill some holes in, ah, HRM's head. Specifically, coming home from the UK a couple of months ago I brought back some pound coins with the notion of using them---somehow---in the hammock suspension.

So I gave Dutch some cool universal digital camo fabric out of which he will make some amazing gear, and he drilled some holes in the coins, and tossed in a couple of his anchors, and a couple of 3-hole hex bars in the bargain. HRM with four holes weighs 8.5 grams, the hex bar less than 3 grams.

The use I've put these to are motivated by my (surprise!) DIY bridge hammock, but have more general applicability I think. The idea is to make a fast connection to an object (in my case a ring), in such a way that it is pretty easy to adjust the length of the cords used in the connection by moving the coin.

Huh?

A bridge hammock has cords from the spread bars that meet at a ring; the hammock hangs from the rings at each end. I'm using one piece of cord, ends of which are connected to the ends of the hammock. I'm wanting an easy way to attach and disattach this cord from the ring. Furthermore, I'm wanting a way to effectively change the length of the cords going from the hammock corners to the ring.

So I've threaded each side of the cord through two holes in the coin.

don't worry about the red bit of cord, its role will be clearer later. Now you can take the loop and pass it through a ring and bring back towards the coin

then bring it up against the cord coming from the hammock corners

and snug it up to the coin

The main attraction of this trick is that it makes connecting the hammock to the ridgeline and suspension trivial, and a fraction of the weight of using a biner to do the same thing (ridgeline is the bright orange, rings at each end of it).

Now you can see that the red bit of cord is to pull the loops out, so that the coin can be positioned to effectively change the length of the sides of the bridge's suspension triangle [there are various reasons I want sometimes to change these lengths, but not often. ]

I thought of a couple of ways of using the hex bars I got. One is to just use the fact that it has 3 holes in it to make a connection between suspension line and tree webbing. In the picture belong the black lines come from the ring, to the bar, back to the ring, back to the bar, back to the ring, and tied off. Did I ever mention that I'm fond of mechanical advantage?

In the picture above the straps are put on the tree by lark's head; the cord with hex bar has a bowline tied on double lines, and the bar is threaded through the webbing loops and bowline loop.

We can use the hex bar in the same way as we did the coin, and not risk being tossed into the slammer if found with such a coin in the UK. Here a loop is formed by pulling a loop of cord through one hole, the knot is placed to inhibit the bar from sliding off the cord (although there really is no danger of that, it's a tight squeeze through that little hole).

And we can use this to clip the suspension triangle onto the ridgeline ring also. The main difference is that this arrangement is lighter, and non-adjustable.

thanks to Dutch for cool toys.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Grizz
    Griz, Those are indeed nice toys! I can see a lot of uses for them and plan to make a few myself. Thanks for the easy-to -read report. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    This is really (no I mean REALLY) a dumb question, but are there any laws concerning the destruction of money (for instance, the coins that you are making things from)? I'm just curious. As a kid I heard that you could get in trouble for letting a train run over your coin on the tracks, (and I heard the coin could cause the train to derail ). Isn't money the property of the government or something?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast