Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silk Liners

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe SUL
    Insulation
    JRB MWUQ3
    I've used my silk cocoon liner in a sleeping bag on the ground and gotten about 7 degrees more warmth. Was really great for extending my 45 degree summer bag at the end of the season. For the hammock, I was thinking about ripping open the seam down to the footbox so it would function like one of those liners on the JRB site. Maybe attach some omni tape so it stays put on my top quilt?

Silk liners, $15 at Academy Sports Stores

I have a 100% silk rectangular liner I found recently for $15 at an Academy Sports Store while visiting Oklahoma. Great product, washable, so light it's weightless, about 32x84 or so, compacts like a balled sock. (Also comes in mummy shape). Love it. Fits inside a sleeping bag, will work well in summer, maybe outside a seperate poly/cotton rectangular liner for a two-layer effect (I sleep hot in summer, cold in winter, go figure). Highly recommended.
    Another lightweight/packable idea would be to get two, use one inside the other, again the weight and bulk of a couple of balled socks.
    No real way to measure scientifically but I'd say it adds about five to ten degrees inside a mummy bag. On a summer night when you might want to sleep under just a sheet the silk liner alone could be just fine. YMMV!

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I've used them in my sleeping bags before for keeping the bag cleaner and for a margin of added warmth ... but still carry them now for sleeping in some of the third world hotel beds I encounter!
    Given the hotel beds I encountered in my last trip (in Europe, no less), I may just be getting one to put in my travel bag.

It wasn't that the bed/sheets were dirty - they weren't. It just felt like I was sleeping on sandpaper!
    Mike

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    I've made silk, cotton, flannel and rip stop liners to add warmth and keep the bag cleaner. They work but are a bit more awkward in a hammock.

For hanging I've switched to either Patagonia silk-weight poly johns in cool weather and sometimes, in what we sportingly refer to as Summer, 34* last night at 117', cheap johns in a waffle weave of approx 50% poly and cotton.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    A liner is only used as that... a liner. I perfer to wear silk top and bottoms by Terramar. The top and bottom weigh less than a liner and they could be used for clothing if needed rather than being twisted up in a liner.

Images
    I use mine during the warmer months. I got tired of fighting with it so I converted mine to a sheet with a footbox. It's perfect for chasing off that early morning chill.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    I just bought a sleeping bag liner from Thermarest .... they have a line of them that add warmth as well .... mine is rated to add 8-10 degrees insulation and warmth to the bag. They have them for winter that will supposedly add up to 25 degrees to a bags rating!

Haven't used it yet, but I sure will .... I *always* sleep coooold!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i cut a head hole and two arm holes in the bottom of mine and wear it like a night shirt. easier with a hammock.
    Now that is a great idea!

I find that a silk liner keeps bugs off and breaks the chilling effect of the breeze on a hot night. Worked well for me sleeping by the marsh while dock building.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    Kalisto
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    One Tigris
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I have a Alps Mountaineering Butterfly liner I use as a sleeping bag when the weather is 60+ . Its compact and warm , works for me.

Hammock
    HH BPUL
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have been wondering about these too. I considered buying a very light sleeping bag / microfleece liner combination last winter thinking I could use either or both as the temperature demanded. Instead I went with a 20 degree down bag (REI Halo). It has been great on cooler nights (high 30s - 40s), but felt too warm as the temperatures rose. A little hard to find just the right amount of venting. Perhaps 2 layers allows more flexibility?
    - Tikki-Tavi
    "Run & find out" - Rudyard Kipling

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast