View Poll Results: How do you store your tarp on the trail?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sil snake skins

36 29.03%
  • Mesh snake skins

13 10.48%
  • Sil Black Bishop style bag

10 8.06%
  • Mesh Black Bishop style bag

2 1.61%
  • Regular stuff sack

51 41.13%
  • Drag it behind me on the trail ...

2 1.61%
  • Other, please post options ...

10 8.06%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Carry it in it's own stuff sack usually in one of the outer mesh pockets on the side of my pack. That way it's right there if I have to set it up in the rain and don't have to root though my pack to get it.

SmokeBait

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Hawk-eye.
    I have a large 10x12 tarp like the one that AC is talking about, and use a full ridgeline above the tarp like the way you describe you will be deploying your tarp.
    In my experince it would be as AC, Shug , and others have said..."Skin to win", and after folding it up and wrapping your suspension around it, put it into a silnylon black bishop bag.
    I tried the reefing thing, and even though it works and makes your tarp easier to manage, the addition of skins to your system is the way that I would go.
    AC also pointed out to me that when the large tarp (or any size really) is in the skins you can easily judge if you have enough space to put up your tarp. With a large tarp one of the most PITA things to do is find a location between trees that will be large enough to deploy your tarp.
    I was very envious of others around me at the Hoosier hang thingee that had there tarps in skins (ie-Canoebie and AC).
    As always HYOH/YMMV

Happy trails,
    Skin-to-win BC
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Yeah ... I've always liked the benefits of having my tarp in skins. Just guess I need to inject up a set that's a little larger than the ones I have so the resulting "tube of tarp" is looser and easier to pack up.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnets, ENO, Claytor
    Tarp
    Maccats
    Insulation
    JRB, HG
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Recently converted to skins, but a couple folds is all it takes to stuff the "skinned tarp" into my regular stuff bag along with stakes in guy out bag. RL goes on top, everything ready for quick deploy rain or shine.

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    mesh stuff sack with line pulled out to act as a bb
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I use a ThermaRest Pro lite Plus stuff sack as a BB. It's 5.25" x 13" and weighs .8oz. My HH fly dosen't fill it up all the way but when I get a larger tarp (I have narrowed it down to a OES MacCat or a BDD) it should fit just fine. It has a built in pocket on the end for the ridge line. I have it installed on the foot end and use it as a storage sack to empty my pockets before I get in my hammock. I got it on sale for about 6 bucks.
    If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Hammock
    Custom made multicam
    Tarp
    Custom 40DMulticam
    Insulation
    Thermolit/pad/bivy
    Suspension
    rope/straps/biners
    My DIY tarp is stuffed in the ENO dryfly stuff sack as it's been demoted to office *****....
    Quote Originally Posted by exdiver View Post
    I roll more than a turd beetle.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Mine gets rolled up, lines wrapped round it and stuffed in the mesh pocket of my pack.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I tried homemade snake skins and initially liked them. However I found that they take up more space in my pack than I like. So I ditched them in favor of simple homemade bungees. I make them by taking a 10 inch length of 1/8 inch bungee cord. I fold it in half and knot the ends with a overhand knot. Then use a straightened paper clip with a small loop in its end. To pull the looped end of the bungee. Thru a 16mm wood craft bead. I use four to six of these bungees. Depending on the size of the tarp. When I ready to take my tarp down. I match the bottom end of the sides together. I then work from one side of the tarp or the other. I begin rolling the tarp up a section at a time. The tie out lines are rolled right up with the tarp. As a section is rolled to the top. I place a bungee on to hold the roll in place, This process is repeated down the length of the tarp. You smooth out the creases as you go. When finished you have 4-6 evenly space bungees holding your tarp neatly together. It takes less than a minute to do this. Then if desired you can accordion fold the tarp and put it in a appropriate size stuff sack. Or mesh pocket on the side of your pack. If you want you can also just stuff it into a stuff sack or mesh pocket without the accordion fold. The bungees hold the tarp together almost as well as snake skins. When you are ready to deploy your tarp. Just remove it from the stuff sack or mesh pocket. And hang your tarp by what ever method you prefer. As with snake skins this method allows you to deploy the tarp. Then deploy sides when you are ready to do so. If you prefer lots of sunshine you can wait to unfurl it till later in the day. To unfurl just remove the bungees and it will unroll itself. I have a few tarps that use as the situation dictates. They are a speer winter tarp, a DIY speer style, a guide gear 12 x 12 and a chinook 9.6 x 9.6. This method works with all of them.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up Well finished it.

OK finished my new tarp and my new mesh ... snake skins (shorter version of "Headchange4U's version). Not bloated like with my #3 HH skins and easy easy to mold to where ever I want to put it in the pack. Most times I'll pack it in the mesh pocket of my pack ... but I made a mesh bag to store it in. Full tarp (9x9 roughly) overhead ridge line and even my four tent stakes in the end pocket.

The bulk you see in the picture can actually compress to about 60% of the size in the picture if you squeeze it up!
    Attached Images Attached Images

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast