WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajamba
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    WB Straps

Couples Hanging

I did a cursory search but didn't find an existing thread.
    How do you hang with your sweetie?
    Is there a decent hammock for two that could be recommended or do you just string two hammocks side by side?

Thanks!

-EG

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Indoor hanging has a plethora of options for two people. Outdoors is a bit slimmer pickins.

The ENO, TrekLight, TicketToTheMoon, etc. style hammocks all come in a double size (and larger in a couple of cases). But, the real trick is your personal level of comfort when sleeping with two people in one hammock. If you are both 'snugglers', then it will likely workout for you. If not, just go with the two hammocks close to each other. We usually camp with two hammocks because she goes to sleep earlier than I do and she wakes to pee MUCH earlier than I do.

If you've got some extra cash laying around, the Clark Vertex is a wonderful compromise. I'm not generally a fan of their hammocks, but the Vertex fits me OK and provides us with the comfort of a hammock, but the environment of a tent.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    When you do a search try "two person" with the quotes, that should work out better. My girl and I tend to tie to the same tree and just put a spreader bar or two between us. You should find that under "strut".

I too like to think about the vertex... Hammocks have come so far that I think <eh hem> snuggling <cough> and snuggling related advances would be highly profittable
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    dd camping hammock
    Tarp
    truenorthoutdoors
    Insulation
    dd hammocks ub
    Suspension
    tape with bow knot
    by me self cos i am single and happy about it at the moment

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    I'm the hanger, the SO a tarper... I would first search for trees over level ground so that he could just utilize my tarp, hence being close/underneath my hammock (hooch don't even go there!)
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My wife and I set up our hammocks from a shared tree at the head end, and a shared large tarp. This does not allow snuggling, but we are able to talk easily from hammock to hammock, and the area between is a great when using the hammocks in chair mode so we can have quality time in comfort while preparing and eating meals.

Multiple treads on this same idea. A sampling I have tagged:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=12126
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13512
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=12806
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14220
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8900
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6780
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=7062

There are likely others, but these are the ones I subscribed to for later consideration. I will have to say that my love and I have not found sleeping in the same hammock, for longer than a quick nap, comfortable. Just too smooshed together. And getting in/out without disturbing your mate is complete futility. Have tried with ENO double and the wider TTTM king without noticeable benefit over a standard single. Your individual weights still pull you both to the lowest point and you are squished. Cannibal has succeeded in sleeping double in a WBBB, though he and his mate must sleep like the friggin' dead. We had no success in trying this with our WBBB. Clark's Vertex is an option, but in my mind the only thing you benefit from over two individual hammocks is being inside a shared bug net (for a hefty $$$). You are still a fair bit separated and cannot share insulation. Dblhmmck has some neat DIY designs (referenced above), but I think he will/would quickly point out technical difficulties with suspension.

Sigh.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Clark's Vertex is an option, but in my mind the only thing you benefit from over two individual hammocks is being inside a shared bug net (for a hefty $$$). You are still a fair bit separated and cannot share insulation.
    Yes...and no.

May not be able to share bottom insulation, but let me tell you about the kind of heat two people can put out in an environment like the one created under the weathershield. When Genuine Draft and I were testing-out the Vertex, I remember going camping when the overnight temps were below the zero mark. I used a JRB Shenandoah for a topquilt...and was hot!

You do end-up a 'fair bit separated', but your feet are right next to each other so a quick game of "footsie" is by no means out of the question.

I still think the Vertex doesn't have that bad of a price tag once you do the math. Aside from insulation, it is a complete hammock set-up for two people. Not counting all the little things, just sticker cost, I've got $170 (I think) in my primary Blackbird - depending on the season, I've got another $130 to $200+ in my tarp. If I use my summer tarp and BB, that's $300 for one sleeper. No doubt, Genuine Draft has a set-up of near equal value. That means we're $600 in the hole before we start adding up our insulation. I'd do that, but I'm already depressed after what little math I've done so far. Regardless, the Vertex has a $40 advantage out of the gate.

Now then, I am comparing costs not comfort. If you believe comfort trumps all else, then 2 Blackbirds are really the only way to go.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Another option, which I am probably going to explore sometime this summer, is the bunkbed style of hang.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Unfortunately, the only way the lady will join me camping is...

Note my enthused expression.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast