Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    BB - Very nice and taught tarp! I am impressed that you got the 1.9oz fabric that tight. Have you seam sealed it yet? Do yourself a favor and make sure the sealer you buy is relatively new; you don't want to ruin that good looking tarp with an old and ineffective bottle of sealant!

Brian
    OES
    LOL I hoped you'd notice! I also hoped you wouldn't be offended at my obvious copy! They do say, however, that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...very true in this case! I thought about this for a LONG time, and I couldn't come up with any improvements on your design...

The corner reinforcements were the hardest part, and to be honest, the 1.9 oz. STILL isn't as tight as I'd like. But it works. As far as sealant, I'll be using a thinned silicon caulk, I think. Seems to have worked well for quite a number of people in the past. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the compliments! It really means a lot, especially coming from you! Hope school's going great, too!

And oh yeah, I think I saw this somewhere....Happy B-day!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    LOL I hoped you'd notice! I also hoped you wouldn't be offended at my obvious copy! They do say, however, that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...very true in this case! I thought about this for a LONG time, and I couldn't come up with any improvements on your design...

The corner reinforcements were the hardest part, and to be honest, the 1.9 oz. STILL isn't as tight as I'd like. But it works. As far as sealant, I'll be using a thinned silicon caulk, I think. Seems to have worked well for quite a number of people in the past. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the compliments! It really means a lot, especially coming from you! Hope school's going great, too!

And oh yeah, I think I saw this somewhere....Happy B-day!
    Keeping the 1.9oz tight probably compounds any slight design glitches that may not have appeared in sil-nylon. However slight these may be, the extra weight probably adds quite a bit of strain to the tarp.

The reason I asked about the fabric is because I thought that the fabric had a PU coating, not a sil one. Sorry for the ignorance, but did you get 1.9oz silicone coated/impregnated fabric, or is it urethane coated? If the latter, silicone caulk won't stick, you need to get a bottle of urethane sealant. The same is true for PU sealer not sticking to silicone impregnated fabrics. Make sure, no matter what sealer you use, that you test it before hand on some scraps to make sure it adheres well. Give it a good 24+ hours to make sure it fully cures and sticks.

The corner patches are the hardest part, and adding more lines of stitching as you did will help spread the stress out. At this point, if you still need to spread some of the stress out (if it is worrying you out in the field, but with the 1.9oz fabric I don't think it should be a problem), try putting a little bit of sheathing around the perimeter of the tarp for maybe a foot in either direction. You probably won't need that, due to the heavier nature of the fabric, though.

School is going great - it's a shame that the whole studying thing actually works, that means that the next 4\5 years are going to be a lot of work

Thanks for the birthday wish too! I can remember getting emails from people about my tarps on my 16th birthday, wow how time flies!

Brian
    OES
    Last edited by Brian; 11-07-2006 at 01:21.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    The body of the tarp is 1.3 oz. silnylon from Ed Speer, so I think silicon caulk sealant should work...the corner reinforcements are 1.9 oz. ripstop from Walmart. I think it's got some kind of coating (not sure, really), but I'm not sealing them so I'm not too worried.

I'm getting a little tired of school myself, actually. I just took the physics GRE yesterday morning. I'm almost done with undergrad, but that just means 5 more years for me.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I'm getting a little tired of school myself, actually. I just took the physics GRE yesterday morning. I'm almost done with undergrad, but that just means 5 more years for me.
    Come on, grad school is great. I am almost done with my master's. Unfortunatly it took 4+ year's (don't ask long story in a demanding program). But it now allows me to take time off hear and there for side trips.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Come on, grad school is great. I am almost done with my master's. Unfortunatly it took 4+ year's (don't ask long story in a demanding program). But it now allows me to take time off hear and there for side trips.
    How about 11 years for a Bachelor's....stick-to-it-iveness..that's what I'm talkin' about...a mere five years for the Master's.

Miguel

Images
    5 years has actually worked out pretty well for me. If I would have gotten done in 2 or 3 years, the circumstances that got me back into hiking might not have happened. I definitly would not be planning an AT thru for next year.

It all somehow works out in the end.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    18 months for me....not engineering, and I'm stuck on a schedule b/c the military is paying for it. I'm kicking myself to get my thesis done right now...supposed to have the final rough draft to my advisor by next Wednesday. Pit in my stomach...hoping it's ready.

But the title of this thread is "Almost Done" so we're still on topic...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    lol - I have an essay due on Friday, another one the week after and an exam the week after that. I spent all day yesterday playing Starcraft. If procrastination ever becomes an Olympic sport I'll be in the medals for sure

Over the years I've tried every possible approach to study except actually going to lectures and doing the work. I haven't found the magic formula yet.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'm going to spend my last semester as an undergrad investigating the effectiveness of alcoholism as a coping mechanism I'm convinced grad school would be a LOT easier that way....

And I've only got 5 years PERIOD...I'm doing the doctoral track thing. Of course, I'll go from there to teaching/research, so I'll really still be in school...

Images
    Actually I drank more the first year or so of grad school than I ever did in undergrad. 3 graduate level engineering courses and lots of nights out. Somehow I still got the grades. I think the harder you study, the harder you need to play.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast