Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images

Costco TQ Mod Questions

I know the CDT DIY has been beaten to death, but I couldn't find a great answer to two concerns of mine...

I bought a pair from BBB for $40 shipped. I'm trying not to double them up as weight is a major concern for me - I already have a cold weather TQ from hammock Gear which is 25oz, and I'd like this milder condition TQ to be around the CDT starting weight of 16oz or less.

I'm looking to make a 40* topquilt with a sewn footbox to save weight. Has anyone attempted a multidirectional baffle along the lines of the sketch image attached? Too much trouble?

I am planning on removing some squares to take the quilt width in and add two baffles to increase the length, while achieving some overstuff effect. What is the point of no returns with overstuff considering the sewn through aspect and the size of the baffles in people's experience? I have a women's down jacket I scored thrifting which I plan on pilfering some extra down from.

Also, has anyone successfully tapered one? Is it worth the extra time to cut and resew?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The want of wandering, and a welcomed whimsy.

Images
    Unless you are A) layering quilts, or B) using faux baffles, it won't matter. The sewn-through design is the weakest link in the chain. Overstuffing will not help the seams be any less exposed.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    Twigs, I followed this approach. I forget who posted the original.

http://imgur.com/a/kOXYm

I tweaked a couple things: I did a half taper of 50" at the head down to 40" at the foot box. This means the I consolidated the 2x3 patch shown in the pictures down to a 2x2 patch to make up the difference in size. Additionally, I didn't need extra length (I am 5'11) and so instead of using the 10" removed from the size for length, I just consolidated the down into the 50" width. Since that likely didn't make much sense, here is a sketch. 1 square = 5"

20170223_153624.jpg

Adding some down isn't a bad idea. The sewn thru construction limits it's effectiveness to be sure, but adding down will not be completely ineffective. I would focus on the lower/leg section of the quilt. That way, you can have toasty legs and boost the warmth on your upper body with a down hoody or the like. The tapered construction already lends itself to such an approach. I also added a simple drawstring channel at the head end, along with a snap, to cinch it closed and keep the heat in. Very pleased with it.

I think it is worth the small amount of extra effort. Effectively the same number of stitchlines and cuts, just not is geometrically simplistic. I am actually planning on making another in the exact same way soon. Enjoy!

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Unless you are A) layering quilts, or B) using faux baffles, it won't matter. The sewn-through design is the weakest link in the chain. Overstuffing will not help the seams be any less exposed.
    I've definitely heard this and understand the weakness, yet I've read a lot of people overstuffing or at least consolidating the down from the trimmed sections in. I'm curious, has anyone attempted to block the sewn through bits by hand sewing a coated fabric over the seams? Perhaps Seam sealing would limit the heat escape? As I understand it the sewn through aspect also creates cold spots because there simply isn't any insulation at these points to retain heat, which is hard to combat.

I have also seen threads on mock-baffling attempts with these quilts... but I'm unsure the results are worth the effort and the potential loss in quilt size (though I am looking to make a "slim" quilt).

MattK, what temps have you slept comfortably to in your tapered edition? I'm looking to get into the low 40s, which doesn't seem impossible as I am a furnace and have heard people taking barely modified CDTs to about 50*

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
    I'm looking to make a 40* topquilt with a sewn footbox to save weight.

honestly, I'd recommend just trying it in 40 degrees without modifying it all and seeing how it works for you

I had a couple of very nice snoozes with mine unmodified and it was -5 celsius (that's 25 or maybe 20ish fahrenheit) in my sunroom
    no socks, just flannel PJ bottoms and a regular cotton t-shirt

I do sleep ridiculously warm tho, and in the sunroom there's no wind, so your mileage may vary

but all I'm doing to convert mine to a summer TQ is just to sew the end into a footbox

I have a 2nd bbb throw that i've ripped the width seams, and it's definitely warmer, but again, other than that, I haven't changed much

doesn't cost you more than a good nap to know if it works, or if it needs work
    Last edited by Tikker; 02-23-2017 at 18:42. Reason: add detail

Images
    I agree - just try it outdoors on your porch. If you don't like it, move to plan B.

That said, if it were me, i would just make two quilts and pop one inside the other. Boom. done. You get the benefit of layering AND offset seams.

I sleep cold and would not take a single quilt below ~50F with warm clothes on. (Tested and verified)

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    +1 on tikker and leiavoia~~
    My CDT hasn't let me down yet. [I pulled all the long stitching to give myself horizontal baffles on one. I can't tell you I can tell the difference.]
    At the temps the CDT type* TQs are workable the whole "sewn-thru" debate is pretty silly. You just can't get chilly enough to make a "big-deal" difference.
    Put on some sox or wear a fleece to bed, if you are worried.

*single layer
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images
    Happy to hear all the reassurance on temps and whatnot!

What about baffle direction? I know I'm making probably more fuss over a $20 quilt than I should, but I'm intrigued by the EE revelation, a pretty unanimously loved piece of gear and on my list to buy for my October end to end, which features vertical baffles where nearly everyone else (JRB, HG, practically all CDT seamrippers, etc) sports horizontal. I understand it's all about "migrating the down" but in my mind there is more of a risk (via gravity at least) of that precious fill finding its way to my sides where it is not really needed. Obviously with vertical orientation there is more potential distance it could move as the baffles are longer.....

(phew) a lot to think about... and to think one day I dream of selling some gear I have designed :P
    At least clearly I'm obsessive (not an uncommon trait around here it seems!)

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
    Happy to hear all the reassurance on temps and whatnot!

What about baffle direction?
    the CDT are built with the long baffles first, the filled with down and then the wide baffles

the wide stiches trap some of the down

ripping those out frees the down, and gives you a teensy bit more loft

ripping the long, and leaving the wide you kinda have to futz around and from the outside, pull the down out of the stich

it's doable, but waaaaay too much work imo for simply an aesthetic difference

like i said, I can tell the difference ripping the wide ones out, it's real easy to just SEE the diff

but try it and see what you like

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    the CDT are built with the long baffles first, the filled with down and then the wide baffles

the wide stiches trap some of the down

ripping those out frees the down, and gives you a teensy bit more loft

ripping the long, and leaving the wide you kinda have to futz around and from the outside, pull the down out of the stich

it's doable, but waaaaay too much work imo for simply an aesthetic difference

like i said, I can tell the difference ripping the wide ones out, it's real easy to just SEE the diff

but try it and see what you like
    Ah, this makes everything a lot clearer to me, I hadn't thought about their manufacturing process in terms of the order of baffle stitching although I was aware a lot was trapped. That seems to make the decision! Plus with a slim quilt I won't have much curled around me anyway and thus no where for that horizontally moving down to go

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast