Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Top Insulation for Colorado in July

I'm going with my son on a high adventure scout trip to Colorado in late July. We'll be in 8000+ elevation (planning to summit a fourteener one of the days) for a week. I'm struggling to decide what bag/quilt to take for that time of year at that elevation. Our current bags are Big Agnes 20 degree synth bags that are bulky and heavy and take up too much room in my pack.

I'm very interested in Mac's threads about IX and its use as a TQ/bag. However, I don't have much experience with a thread injector.

I typically sleep pretty cold, and my son just sleeps like the dead. I swear that boy would sleep the same in 0 degree or 100 degree weather or through a nuclear explosion. Must be nice...

Anyway, any ideas on what temp rating I should go for or whether the IX option would be a good first diy thread injector attempt?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I (a warm sleeper) usually take a summer quilt during July at those altitudes. Genuine Draft (a cold sleeper) usually takes a winter quilt for the same trip. It can get pretty cool up there, even during the dead of summer. Guess my suggestion would be a 3-season quilt of some type.

I agree, Mac's IX stuff looks interesting. But, having not used it I can't say if it would be the right choice or not. Down works great in Colorado since we have no real humidity, but it ain't cheap.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can't comment on the IX b/c I haven't used it, but I plan to take either a full 3-season quilt, or a summer quilt with a back-up jacket, when I go. You might need the jacket in the mornings or on the 14'er anyway...

FWIW, it was well over 60F two days ago and yesterday it snowed...I'm only at 7000'. It usually snows here in June.

And if you go light and end up getting cold, just cook up a hot water bottle and you'll be comfy.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts